Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Koprulu Terran population

Default Koprulu Terran population

With the release of WoL Blizzard posted profiles of some of the planets within and near Korpulu Sector. Most of these planets are Terran worlds. From the profiles and SC2 itself weknow more about population of some of these worlds by the time of SC2 events. Korhal (after its restoration) has around 6.3 billion people on it, Umoja has ~2.1 billion and Moria has ~4.1 billion. We also know that several billion Terrans live on other Koprulu worlds.

By the latter part of Second Great War in SC2 about 8 billion people were killed by the Kerrigan's Zerg, most of them during the Second War. Many of the Sector's original (i.e. prior to the first invasion) population were also killed in the Great War in SC. So, what is the estimted number of Terrans living on all Confederacy/Dominion, Kel-Morian and Umojan planets? My rough count is about 20 billion. This is a pretty big number, but it is, in fact, fairly logical, since in the first decades of colonization of the first three and other planets there could very well be a major population growth, triggered by various technological and social factors, escpecially since the time when the three original colonies finally contacted. And the Terrans were colonizing the sector for about 240 years by time SC began. The Koprulu Sector population can be numbered in couple of tens of billions.

So, what do you think about Terran population? Is my estimation fairly correct?

Default Re: Koprulu Terran population

Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Thank you, but I suggest continuing the discussion here for the sake of not bumping a four months old thread.

I think Koprulu Sector population by the time of SC vanilla is about 20 billion. It is rather logical, even considering the fact that there were 32k original colonists, since there could very well be significant population boost over this two and a half centuries, especially suring the first decades of colonizations and on newly colonized planets.

I don't know about the numbers because if you try to calculate it based on average growth every year up to 250 years, the population size would have to grow on average 80 million each year to get to the 20 billion mark!

There are a lot of factors going against this - they had to start their colonies from scratch when they first arrived. Survival would have been their top priority for at least that first decade or so. I wouldn't think really had an inclination to start breeding then because that would have been a tough time. We also don't know the ratio of male to female on the supercarrriers either. They were all criminals, society's rejects and what not so you'd assume that there'll be a higher ratio of male to female.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Actually, they didn't have to start colonies on Tarsonis, Umoja and Moria from scratch when they first arrived. Supercarries had all the supplies and SC manual states that the colonists salvaged them to find a new home.
    They were all criminals, society's rejects and what not
    Actually, they were mostly criminals because of their genetic and cybernetic differences from other humans.
    Last edited by Karass; 12-25-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Karass View Post
    Actually, they did have to start colonies on Tarsonis, Umoja and Moria from scratch when they first arrived. Supercarries had all the supplies and SC manual states that the colonists salvaged them to find a new home.
    It's more or less accepted that the supercarriers left them some sort of schematics to at least build up an industrial structure to support themselves, since it makes no sense for them to recreate sub-warp engines in just 60 years in addition to all the other progress they made, unless all the crew were made up of geniuses.

BTW, there was a little typo in my post you quoted, Gradius. I wanted to write "didn't", instead of "did"
    Last edited by Karass; 12-25-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Actually, humans tend to breed more in times when survival is paramount. There used to be much larger families in the olden days.

Also, the confederate old famlies are a mere fraction of the total populace in SC vanilla. The old families are the pure bloods of ancestors that happened to be the original settles from the prison ships. Of course, that really only probably applies to the ones that landed on Tarsonis.

Quote Originally Posted by solidsamurai View Post
    Actually, humans tend to breed more in times when survival is paramount. There used to be much larger families in the olden days.

Also, the confederate old famlies are a mere fraction of the total populace in SC vanilla. The old families are the pure bloods of ancestors that happened to be the original settles from the prison ships. Of course, that really only probably applies to the ones that landed on Tarsonis.
    So if you don't mind me asking, the people who are not of the Old Families would then be descended from whom?

The Old Families call themselves the "oldest families" but they're actually the descendants of the Nagglfar's commanders.

(How you command a ship while frozen is an open question.)
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."