Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC2's campain wasnt dark enough

Default SC2's campain wasnt dark enough

Dont get me wrong, SC2 is my favorite game (alongside broodwar); The multiplayer is great but the campaign felt kind off.... "little kiddy" if you know what i mean. Unlike the original starcraft and starcraft broodwar, SC2's campained lacked a certain dark ambiance and mysteriousness that the original campaings had.

Unlike the original, SC2's story (for the most part) follows a group that is 100% good that always win with nothing really that bad ever happening to them. One of the things that I liked most about the campain in the original starcraft was how there really wasnt a 100% good or a 100% bad side, and that each faction faced some sort of negative consequences once in a while.

In general I liked SC2's campaing, but it just didnt feel to much like the original universe at all. It felt like it was kind of light hearted and something that was based for a much younger age group than it is supposed to.

What do you think?

Default Re: SC2's campain wasnt dark enough

Jump aboard the bandwagon, mate!
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

I would generally disagree. I wouldn't call it 'dark', but not 'kiddy' either. I felt the humour, such as the news reports was well placed and the cost of conflict against the zerg was well conveyed, such as the casualties inflicted on Char and across the Dominion.

Of course, it could be respective-it's a trilogy, and it's probably fair to say that things go south for the protoss in LotV. Start off light, end dark. It wouldn't be the first trilogy to comply to such a formula.

Quote Originally Posted by inverseninja View Post
    Unlike the original, SC2's story (for the most part) follows a group that is 100% good that always win with nothing really that bad ever happening to them. One of the things that I liked most about the campain in the original starcraft was how there really wasnt a 100% good or a 100% bad side, and that each faction faced some sort of negative consequences once in a while.
    I dunno about that. Tassadar's forces were pretty much 100% good, and infallible too boot, especially once the player controls them. Same goes for Raynor's group (sans infallibility, of course) since he always meant well and was trying to do what's right but just wound up getting manipulated by bad people.

Meanwhile, in one of the branching missions of WoL, Raynor could commit genocide (granted, things were pretty far gone but that's still pretty dark) as one of his options. In another branching mission, Raynor could either turn on his partner (Tosh) because of flimsy evidence or to cement his partnership with said partner who is a mass murderer (his Spectres 'accidentally' kill thousands of civilians on Nephor II). In this case, both options are pretty morally grey.

Quote Originally Posted by inverseninja View Post
    In general I liked SC2's campaing, but it just didnt feel to much like the original universe at all. It felt like it was kind of light hearted and something that was based for a much younger age group than it is supposed to.
    That's because you're now ten years older than when SC1 first came out and unlike Harry Potter, Blizzard's stories don't intentionally age with its original audience.

A few months ago, I would have agreed with the OP.
    However, I recently watched the Incredibles and picked up on a subtext that I missed before, so I have a new perspective on this.

I don't think a story necessarily has to be "Dark" to be "Adult". In fact, attempts to make something darker and edgier often just make it childishly inane. Ever read a Robert Leifeld comic? Ever wonder why the Nineties are called the "Dork Age" of comic books? Ever wonder why, despite all the BDSM, torture, death, and mutilation in the Sword of Truth series, it still comes across as the pained scribbling of a 13-year old dyslexic Ayn Rand devotee?

That said, I don't think that StarCraft II was childishly lighthearted. Genocide and betrayal of allies aside, think long and hard about the artifact missions. You were exterminating a religious sect for their holy relics and their Breath of Creation, and laughing about it when they wouldn't give up.

Colonel Badass approves.

Lighthearted storytelling is fine, but what about avoiding the cliche of "Good guys win, bad guys loose, and as always, Britannia prevails"?
    Well, how successful was Raynor?
    • His refusal to get involved got a partner and best friend from his earlier years killed or infested.
    • He's got a disinfested Kerrigan on board, who is the strongest Terran Psionic ever, and is possibly bipolar/MPD/going to suffer power withdrawal symptoms.
    • Mengsk is still in power. Despite the Media Blitz, people without guns went up against people with guns, and the status quo remained unchanged.
    • He's got a Dominion Ghost after him... maybe.
    • Because of his refusal to compromise his principles, he destroyed a valuable Protoss relic, which could have taken out swarms of Zerg. For all we know, that's going to be a major issue in future negotiations.

In summary, darker is not necessarily more adult, lighter is not necessarily childish, and the flaws of the campaign were in writing, not tone.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

They said in an interview that they added that absurd voodoo scene because Tosh getting killed was too dark.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
    I dunno about that. Tassadar's forces were pretty much 100% good, and infallible too boot, especially once the player controls them. Same goes for Raynor's group (sans infallibility, of course) since he always meant well and was trying to do what's right but just wound up getting manipulated by bad people.
    Yes but what about the whole part of tassadar separating with aldaris and killing others of their race? That might be a good thing, but they still face some hard consequences. And sure, in the end of the terran campain jim raynor decided to leave the sons of korhal when he leaves kerigan behind, but he still helped mengsk to kill everyone on tarsonis with psi emiters before that.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
    Meanwhile, in one of the branching missions of WoL, Raynor could commit genocide (granted, things were pretty far gone but that's still pretty dark) as one of his options. In another branching mission, Raynor could either turn on his partner (Tosh) because of flimsy evidence or to cement his partnership with said partner who is a mass murderer (his Spectres 'accidentally' kill thousands of civilians on Nephor II). In this case, both options are pretty morally grey.
    I agree with you on this, but according to blizzard those paths are considered the "B" option meaning that their opposites are considered cannon. Other than those things there isnt really too much "evilness"

Maybe nostalgia has something to do with it but I still think the original is better (I replayed the originals campaing again 3 weeks ago so i dont think its because I was only 8 when the original came out).

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    They said in an interview that they added that absurd voodoo scene because Tosh getting killed was too dark.
    Absurd? I found it funny as Hell.

I guess it could be that the dolls help Spectres focus on distant targets, and Tosh was just zeroing in on someone other than Jimmy who was irking him.
    But trust me, it's a lot better than what usually results when the Creators decide that what they're doing isn't canon, so they might as well make it ridiculous.

the most likely explanation to the voodoo scene is that Blizzard were trolling.

Xarthat's Avatar Junior Member

You know what I always tell people when they complain a video game or a movie was "not dark enough". Turn off the light in your room!