Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Plot Hole...

Default Re: Yet Another Plot Hole...

ITT people trying their hardest to find faults.

I am, of course, reminded of the Ark of the Covenant here. Y'see... God left explicit instructions to the Hebrews not to touch it. The manual he provided said to transport it with two poles, carried by two Levites.

Hebrews being Hebrews, they once tried carrying it in a cart. It didn't end well.

For what we know, the Tal'Darim either carried the artifacts around with robots or cranes or something. Or they might have known what to do to get close, and what not to do under any circumstances. Again, like the Ark of the Covenant, get as close as you like, but touch it and you die. Open it... and bad things happen.

Except, based on the reaction with the crystal, the Artifact's draining properties work not on contact but on proximity to the Artifact. Hence my original issue... how does one idol worship an item without getting close to it?

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

So I'm looking at the dialog here:
    3rd Artifact Dialog After "Whispers of Doom"
    Raynor
    So these things are still a big mystery, huh?
    Hanson
    Actually I have found something interesting. Whenever you use that protoss device over there, the artifacts respond by drawing together and expanding their molecular matrices.
    Raynor
    A little slower and with shorter words, please.
    Hanson
    Well, if you think of them as dry sponges, they draw ambient energy like water. These things try to absorb as much energy as they can.
    Raynor
    Are they dangerous?
    Hanson
    Not if you're human. If my theories are correct - and you were a protoss, for instance - they could drain the life right out of you.
    And am wondering:
    1) Where does it say that an individual artifact would be harmful for Protoss? It only claims that it's dangerous for protoss when:
    - Raynor uses the "protoss device" (Ihan Crystal)
    - The artifacts (plural) draw together
    2) Where does it say that simply being in "proximity" would activate this life-draining effect? Simply absorbing ambient energy isn't guaranteed to kill protoss IMO. If they're anything like the artifact in Firstborn, you have to physically touch it. The artifact from Firstborn could also reverse the flow and bring life energy into the Protoss.
    3) Where does it say anywhere that the Tal'Darim "worship" this artifact or, anything at all? Protoss may be telepathic, but that doesn't mean they pray to anything. They may revere things like the Xel'Naga and their artifacts, but those things at least have the benefit of existing and having actual uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    They're broken and guarded by the protoss because the protoss don't want them turned into a weapon.
    That's a good point IMO.

Raynor: Valerian reckons this thing can...de-zergify Kerrigan once it's rebuilt. Do you think that's even possible?

Hanson: From what I've managed to piece together, it might be. The artifact seems to absorb protoss energy. If the same holds true for zerg...

Raynor: Just yes or no, Ariel. I need an answer!

Hanson: If I said 'no' would you even believe me? The only person that can really know what the artifact does is the one who made it - and they're long gone...I hope.
    That's what Hanson says after Supernova. Although I agree it's less information than what she says after Whispers of Doom.

Where does it say anywhere that the Tal'Darim "worship" this artifact or, anything at all?
    They merely view them as holy artifacts.
    Last edited by Kimera757; 12-15-2010 at 09:17 PM.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    They merely view them as holy artifacts.
    Peasant was implying that they have to get close to the artifacts in order to worship them, as if they kneel before it like they're worshiping an idol.

3) Where does it say anywhere that the Tal'Darim "worship" this artifact or, anything at all? Protoss may be telepathic, but that doesn't mean they pray to anything. They may revere things like the Xel'Naga and their artifacts, but those things at least have the benefit of existing and having actual uses.
    Peasant was implying that they have to get close to the artifacts in order to worship them, as if they kneel before it like they're worshiping an idol.
    That's a good point considering most of the artifact pieces are locked up "tighter than your momma's a**" (see what I did there?).

Besides, if the artifact pieces alone could kill/absorb the life-force of either Protoss or Zerg in close proximity to it, then the idea behind the Smash and Grab mission would be stupid. The race against the Zerg for the artifact would not make sense as they will never be able to get close to the artifact to nab it.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

And what about the relics?
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -
    BusinessMonkey - SC:Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    In The Dark Templar Saga, Ulrezaj did sacrifice a number of Tal'darim to an artifact (which explicitly drained their energy). However, he did this in secret. Only one of his followers knew of this.

The Tal'darim often sealed the artifacts away. Perhaps they had large robots and ships carry them around.
    That artifact was on a Xel'Naga spaceship that was hidden underneath Aiur's jungles...It eventually activated and floated away. It's probably the same artifact and same spaceship.

Kudos to Arkceangel for the Terran avatar and sig!

Zeraszana's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    So I'm looking at the dialog here:
    And am wondering:
    1) Where does it say that an individual artifact would be harmful for Protoss? It only claims that it's dangerous for protoss when:
    - Raynor uses the "protoss device" (Ihan Crystal)
    - The artifacts (plural) draw together
    2) Where does it say that simply being in "proximity" would activate this life-draining effect? Simply absorbing ambient energy isn't guaranteed to kill protoss IMO. If they're anything like the artifact in Firstborn, you have to physically touch it. The artifact from Firstborn could also reverse the flow and bring life energy into the Protoss.
    jeah well, it reacts to protoss energy by trying to absorb it but, if you recall a conversation before this one, it clearly states that the ihan crystal has about 10x the amount of any other encountered device and thus makes it highly improbable that the artifacts would even register any individual protoss let alone react and try to drain him (and do note that zeratuls essence is within the ihan crystal so it may as well be that the artifacts actually react to the amplified void energies)

so my theory would be that the artifacts are actually attempting to absorb void energies, albeit they have to be at the level of a nuke for them to register it, and as such poses no credible threat to the toss, unless they try to defend themselves en masse (remember the trilogy, mass psi storm?) then it would be very dangerous and an excellent weapon to be used, to weaken the defenders and subsequently kill them. (prophecy, last stand anyone?)
    just my 2 cents
    Can't figure if Zeratul is trolling or...