View Poll Results: Does fan feedback carry any weight with Blizz writers in relation to HotS?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. They've been treating us like little children all along. All has been decided long ago.

13 39.39%
  • No, but they may tweak a line of dialogue here and there to pretend they're listening

9 27.27%
  • They haven't been taking it seriously, but the embarrassing leak changes things.

5 15.15%
  • Yes. Just because the ending vid is one way, doesn't mean the campaign won't be interesting

4 12.12%
  • Yes, of course they listen to us! The video is a demo. Why are you even taking it seriously?

2 6.06%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does our feedback matter one bit to Blizz Writers?

Default Re: Does our feedback matter one bit to Blizz Writers?

Hawki,

It's supposed to be a trilogy. The first chapter sucked. We're not telling them what to write; we're asking them to consider implementing thematic/structural/consistency changes to improve the product that follows the first product that was weak.
    - So, Gerard, I suspect you have a good reason for pulling me away from my Duties.
    - Your Vodka can wait, my good Alexi.

================================
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8WRZcYVbVg -

Iron man putting on armor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAHAUJQ8qGQ -

Tychus putting on armor

"Also, we've established that the [Wings of Liberty's] storyline was monkey hurlage months ago - so what's the point of all the QQ?," -Gradius

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    You can call your shit art, but if the rest of the world thinks its shit, it's shit.
    Except I don't call it art. I don't call it anything. It's not my place to. I'm personally wary of giving myself any praise, because it can be pretentious at best and a trap for delusion of quality at worst. Still, I'd rather the criteria for that judgement come from me alone. Tommy Wissau's praise for The Room is a testament to how hilarious/pretentious it can be when an artist compliments his/her own work.

And as for the rest of the world and judgement, you may want to talk to van Gogh about that.

Edit: As for structural changes, that's a bit different, as I got the impression that it was story content we were discussing. I say different because I think it's possible to view structure objectively.
    Last edited by Hawki; 12-08-2010 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    Except I don't call it art. I don't call it anything. It's not my place to. I'm personally wary of giving myself any praise, because it can be pretentious at best and a trap for delusion of quality at worst. Still, I'd rather the criteria for that judgement come from me alone. Tommy Wissau's praise for The Room is a testament to how hilarious/pretentious it can be when an artist compliments his/her own work.

And as for the rest of the world and judgement, you may want to talk to van Gogh about that.
    By "you" I meant "Blizzard."

"You" are not important.

I know. I just thought that would be a better example than claiming to speak for Blizzard...or anyone.

We must inquire.

Blizzard cares of our opinion about balancing the game made for multi-player (a.k.a. the players): Yes

Blizzard cares of our opinion about writing the story they created: No.

The Story Forum is a scape-goat for mindless, angered fans to think their petty opinion is worth reading.

First of all, RussianSpy, you can't presume that just because some nerds on an "approved fan forum by blizz" can influence a company that size just by writing or contributing to a few posts. You have to be more humble and realistic about that fact. Even when the WoW Tarren Mill server kept crashing for 1 months (which destroyed Ensidia's rank as best guild etc. etc.) Blizz never compensated or included (and this is paying) fans in their actions on "repairing" the server. Blizzard is a company and doesn't treat anyone beside employees special in any way. No matter what, as the least thing you pay for extra services.

So no fans don't have influence on squat, unless it's individuals revolutioning aspects of THEIR game in a way it favours Blizz. If you were to make something like a better version of WoL (like I'm hoping we could do with pure.wasted's re-write) they'd hunt you down with their "infringement of THEIR rights", or just ignore you if you made people go buy SC2 just for playing your game (take W3 and dota as an example).

Here at SC:Legacy they might interview and get a nice chat with Blizz high profiles, but SC:Legacy no matter the loyalty it has does get treated like crap if they do something Blizz thinks isn't good for their COMPANY. They were forced to take down their old channel on YouTube just as an example.
    Glynnis Talken is another example. She's done WAY more voices and has a longer career at Blizz, but bam, she's gone. Fans outcried, what happened? Squat happened.

What I want from blizzard is to stop the huge loads of BS they've been letting out the last couple of years. "We want to make you - the fans - able to create your own, bla, bla, bla." They don't. It's a friggin' company. All their game's content has ALWAYS been heavily stolen from original material, but back then they delivered it with hard work and quality to back that up. Since they succeeded in affirming that quality, they've been nothing but milkin' it. Skimming to increase profits and yadda, yadda, yadda.

It's sad yes, but they couldn't give a damn. We're our generation of players, and the next one does not have the same understanding of quality that we do. How do you think 80s and 90s adventure players feel today? They're starving ever since LucasArts stopped making those games...

Meh. I might exaggerate, but I feel more and more I'll have to give up on my extremely positive childhood experiences being experienced in the future.
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -
    BusinessMonkey - SC:Legacy

They need to revisit what made SC great. Only then will SC2 be a worthy successor. WoL failed horribly in my opinion, and the general consensus seems to be that it was pretty bad. Even if it werent bad, which i guess is debatable, it only resembles the SC universe in name. Everything has changed (imo for the worse). They really need to return to epic story arcs, not a one-man army getting money and battling entire civilizations by himself. And Kerrigan has to be the bitch that she is for HotS to succeed imo.

"Does our opinion matter to Blizzard?"
    I don't know if that's pretentious or idealistic. Let's just say, a lot of the people here are far from being the next Joss Whedon, and many are ascribing to greedy indifference or malice on Blizzard's part when mere incompetence is to blame.

I'll probably get lynched for this, but I really don't think fans should have much, if any say on a story for anything,
    Meh. I've seen a few cases where submitting a work before a panel of 1,000 fans and asking them to search for plot holes, spelling mistakes, and inconsistencies would have been an improvement.

It kind of depends on the writer, na? People like me are going to listen to story feedback, but usually detest story requests. For example, if I were Blizzard, I'd be reconsidering the way Kerrigan was depicted as bipolar during the campaign because of the feedback. But I would probably disregard the complaints about prophecy being in the story, or that James Raynor saves his girlfriend over Tychus.

You may argue that such feedback can make a story better, but if it's based on external opinion, it will inevitably make it worse for others.

If there's one thing the Internet has taught me, it's that people can complain about anything. People are certainly entitled to their opinion, but I think that in the realm of fiction and the like, care must be taken.
    Dear LORD, that's so true. I'm getting sick of people over on HBO acting like their opinion is Godsend. I'm not sure what it is about the human mind that makes us think that our opinions are shared by the majority, but it should have been fixed when we were still in beta.

Now if you excuse me, I'll get going. I see a mob coming my way.
    Run and hide. For all the burning down of laboratories and lone villas they do, mobs never seem to actually KILL anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    "Self-esteem?"

But I liked Vicinni...

Quote Originally Posted by BusinessMonkey View Post
    First of all, RussianSpy, you can't presume that just because some nerds on an "approved fan forum by blizz" can influence a company that size just by writing or contributing to a few posts. You have to be more humble and realistic about that fact.
    You're right, BusinessMonkey...I live in a dreamy fantasy world too much.

Look, Metzen, just like other corporate VPs are told to do what (A) costs little and (B) sells well. It seems that had they thought that changing the story's direction would make money for the company, they'd be more cooperative. Apparently, they believe that this way is the surest way to make $ even on the minority of people who prefer single player over multiplayer. And that (using your Adventure game analogy) is indeed sad.
    - So, Gerard, I suspect you have a good reason for pulling me away from my Duties.
    - Your Vodka can wait, my good Alexi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8WRZcYVbVg -

Iron man putting on armor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAHAUJQ8qGQ -

Tychus putting on armor

"Also, we've established that the [Wings of Liberty's] storyline was monkey hurlage months ago - so what's the point of all the QQ?," -Gradius