Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wings of Liberty Project

spychi's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Re: The Wings of Liberty Project

Twilice has a point, a misunderstanding yes but not a mutiny with Swann in the lead

I wouldn't make that a part of the plot told , because this is exactly what Blizzard did, the plot connection didn't make sense
    what I would recommend is to:
    1. Change character lines
    2. Change/Add fractions in missions, which you did
    3. Other than that, stick with the mission quests with a little polish to the sense of Raynor's motives

Mass Effect Universe Fan, I support Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for Game of the year award! ME2 still is being the best rated game this year! Keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by spychi View Post
    Twilice has a point, a misunderstanding yes but not a mutiny with Swann in the lead
    Well, let's see the list of grievances so far:
    -Raynor's running low on supplies.
    -Raynor's priorities turn upside down the moment the Zerg show up and he forgets all about the rebellion just so he can save Hanson to make up for not saving Kerrigan.
    -Raynor uses everything the Raiders have left to ferry refugees around, and even calls in special favors (that could be used in their fight vs. Mengsk) to do so.
    -Raynor loses the second artifact (which he was promising to sell) and makes the Raiders look like total bad guys in the public's eyes as he does it.

This isn't enough for a guy like Swann to tell Raynor to put down his revolver and get his ass into the brig, but it is enough for a situation to come up that can easily spiral out of control, and that's exactly what happened here.

That said, I'm considering adding a little bit more drama to the "spiraling out of control" part to really make Swann feel like he has no choice but to continue with the mutiny once it's begun.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7699/commun1.png

spychi's Avatar SC:L Addict

well i must admit I didn't get to those points
    so yeah explained and makes sense

Mass Effect Universe Fan, I support Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for Game of the year award! ME2 still is being the best rated game this year! Keep it up

Interesting - SC:L is working on a bit review of the SP (hope to have it finished soon). We're likely to point to this as an example of what can be done to give it a bit more exposure - we reach hundreds of thousands and Blizz will more than likely see it as well

Also, I'm a bit skeptical of the new story forum on bnet - we'll see how it pans out - Blizz is notorious for starting things and then taking forever to do anything with them. I know Sixen and as an MVP he is helpful - but remember, he doesn't work for Blizz and he doesn't talk to them any more than another site leader - don't take his voice as the gospel any more than you would mine or AJ's.

<3

~LoA
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Beloved.

Very, VERY impressed with what you've done so far, Wasted. Especially since a good number of the missions are essentially the same concept-wise to what Blizzard actually included in WoL - just, with a different context and stronger connection to the developing story. Indeed, this just goes to show that by having a linear mission order (and thereby more predictable sequence of events), the story in WoL could be told in a fashion that actually makes sense and with actual plot progression over the course of the story rather than purely at the start and end.

Also, LOL at the 'conservation of detail' reference. That said, I definitely agree that if a named character doesn't contribute to a story, said character isn't pulling his/her weight.

As for other possible candidates for mutineers, there's always good ol' Stetmann...
    Last edited by mr. peasant; 12-06-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spychi View Post
    well i must admit I didn't get to those points
    so yeah explained and makes sense
    Excellent, thanks for telling me.

Quote Originally Posted by LordofAscension View Post
    Interesting - SC:L is working on a bit review of the SP (hope to have it finished soon). We're likely to point to this as an example of what can be done to give it a bit more exposure - we reach hundreds of thousands and Blizz will more than likely see it as well

<3

~LoA
    Thanks much. Looking forward to your review.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
    Very, VERY impressed with what you've done so far, Wasted. Especially since a good number of the missions are essentially the same concept-wise to what Blizzard actually included in WoL - just, with a different context and stronger connection to the developing story.
    Absolutely. I think Smash and Grab might be the best individual example of the "subtle change" versus "sweeping revision" philosophy at work. Blizz gave us the premise of "three sides duke it out over possession of the artifact," and all I did was re-arrange the pieces. We don't have enough big war type scenarios in the game? Then let's make the Raiders pull this heist from right under a gigantic war. We have too many lame, generic Tal'darim antagonists? Then let's make the antagonist an established character (Warfield) whose credibility we can build up with a memorable early appearance. We have too many missions where Raynor succeeds and Kerrigan fails? All right, let's make him fail this mission in the most horrendous way imaginable, actually making sense of subsequent "Raynor, you failed us!" arcs. Not enough conflict between Raynor and Matt? Then let's make Matt predict Raynor's failure ahead of time, but his advice goes unheeded. The artifact is too straight-forward? Then let's make it do something that Warfield can take advantage of in a creative new way that hasn't already been seen.

As I said in another thread a week or so back, it's all about being efficient. The intent should be for every single mission to be doing ten different things at the same time -- starting one plot strand, closing another, and progressing three more all at once. You're still going to fail a bunch of the time, that's inevitable, but you'll succeed more triumphantly, too.

As for other possible candidates for mutineers, there's always good ol' Stetmann...
    Oh God, you've found the crack that will unravel my entire re-write! I don't have an arc planned for Stettman!

Quote Originally Posted by LordofAscension View Post

Also, I'm a bit skeptical of the new story forum on bnet - we'll see how it pans out - Blizz is notorious for starting things and then taking forever to do anything with them. I know Sixen and as an MVP he is helpful - but remember, he doesn't work for Blizz and he doesn't talk to them any more than another site leader - don't take his voice as the gospel any more than you would mine or AJ's.

<3

~LoA
    That's a good point, LoA...I may have jumped to quite a naive conclusion there. The SC:L review of SL sounds VERY EXCITING! Just curious: When you say the review will reach out hundreds of thousands, do you mean just by virtue of being posted here (like Gradius' Retcon Article) or you'll try to disperse it around the net also? I'm certainly looking forward to it. Let me know if you need any help.
    - So, Gerard, I suspect you have a good reason for pulling me away from my Duties.
    - Your Vodka can wait, my good Alexi.

================================
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8WRZcYVbVg -

Iron man putting on armor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAHAUJQ8qGQ -

Tychus putting on armor
    ================================

"Also, we've established that the [Wings of Liberty's] storyline was monkey hurlage months ago - so what's the point of all the QQ?," -Gradius

Good stuff, Wasted. The WoL story does indeed need some meat on it's bones and you've done a good job of fleshing it out so far. I like the way you're trying to justify all the characters existence on the Hyperion and the sense of forward movement/ progression. Keep it up.

On the topic of Stetman, I wonder if you're going to involve any other incidental characters on the Hyperion, such as Kachinsky or that merc guy, Hill.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

I like it.

What's wrong with having side characters just to have side characters? Most of the Mass Effect 2 crew had no plot justification to be there other than "cause TIM said so", and it didn't bother me then, so yeah, I still don't care much if WoL made Swan and Stettman to be more or less expendable. Arielan and Tosh have some pretty big implications, so we can only wait and see if Blizzard chooses to pick up the slack for the expansions... or at least give us a pat on the back through an email Bioware style.
    Last edited by Louis; 12-07-2010 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    What's wrong with having side characters just to have side characters? Most of the Mass Effect 2 crew had no plot justification to be there other than "cause TIM said so", and it didn't bother me then, so yeah, I still don't care much if WoL has some expendables.
    Side characters aren't inherently bad. When you've got loads and loads of characters it's inevitable that some will get more screentime than others. You'll note that I'm not complaining about Mira Han's role in the campaign and that they didn't do her character justice.

The problem is WOL doesn't really have that many characters, and the ones it does have are presumably there instead of other characters that could be there. Every time I look at Hanson, I see Mengsk's palace, filled with Generals, Admirals, Ambassadors from the UP or KMC, and frequent entrances by characters such as Narud and Valerian. Blizzard chose to go with inherently tamer characters with less influence, that means they made a sacrifice (consciously or without understanding it). It only makes sense to then attempt to get everything you can out of what you ended up with.