Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which do you think will be the most creative-friendly race?

Default Which do you think will be the most creative-friendly race?

You know how things go - when a game first comes out, some people try out lots of new strategies, while many just stick to using basic units and let other people figure things out. Eventually, though, somebody comes up with the "cookie cutter" strategy for each matchup and map-situation, and then that becomes the standard. The longer the game is out for, the more rigid these cookie-cutters become as balance patches become fewer and far between and the optimal strategies get further optimized.

However, I'm sure there will be room for creative players who play a bit differently. My question is, which race do you think will leave the most room for improvisation and off-the-wall strategies?

My guess is Terran. For no good reason at all...just seems the most likely answer (to me anyway).

Default Re: Which do you think will be the most creative-friendly race?

Terran will be the easiest for new players. Protoss will be the cheap, overpowered race. Zerg won't get played very much (at least by new players).

I am planning on playing as Terran and Zerg. Protoss have far too many special abilities.

lol terran will be the overpowered race again if any, I mean healing dropships?? harassing with that is gonna be too crazy. Not to mention, building twice as many units thru each barracks at the same time, so 5 rax's can build 10 marines at the same time.

Im sure zerg will get an edge when people realize how strong roach/ling combos with micro can be.

Protoss will be maybe the most creative, because they look like they can adapt to many situations, but they definately wont be the strongest. That will goto terran again.

Perhaps the Reactor should require the Engineering Bay?

-Psi
    >>You Must Construct Additional Pylons<<

Operatoring's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skyze View Post
    lol terran will be the overpowered race again if any, I mean healing dropships?? harassing with that is gonna be too crazy. Not to mention, building twice as many units thru each barracks at the same time, so 5 rax's can build 10 marines at the same time.

Im sure zerg will get an edge when people realize how strong roach/ling combos with micro can be.

Protoss will be maybe the most creative, because they look like they can adapt to many situations, but they definately wont be the strongest. That will goto terran again.
    Currently Protoss is considered the "OP" race in SC1, so try again.

Good points Skyze about why Terran might be the most overpowered. I'm just basing this off the battle reports, haven't looked at really anything else...

The warping abilities of Protoss seems somewhat unfair. I don't understand the force field really, it should at least be destructible. Not sure what to think of the Mothership at this point.

Maybe I am wrong about Protoss being the most OP, but I am not a huge fan of any of the three abilities I posted above. And yes, I understand if you were to remove these aspects then you'd have to balance the races again.

Warping abilities of Protoss seem "unfair"?
    In what sense?

I don't get these kinds of arguments. At least explain what you mean. Protoss has been the most undermined race in Broodwar for all the patches after 1.08. They are the ones that have had to adapt the most and be the most creative in different matchups.

In SCII, what I have found is innovation on that creative approach to make things easier to execute rather than the awkward reaver micro controls and the clumsy "lift" drops and the way Protoss is always at a disadvantage vs Terran mech and Zerg Hive tech, with the 3-3-3 gol/tanks and the 5/3 Ultras+cracklings that have a lot more mobility than Protoss did. In SC2, they intr4oduced EXACTLY what was lacking with Warp-in since the Arbiter recall ability was such a clumsy mechanic (not to mention at times prohibitively expensive).
    With Recall modified, it makes it easier to send troops on the field when most needed (mind you this is not really teleporting as once you have warped in units you cannot "unwarp" them back or teleport them to another part of the map).
    Also, warp in is sort of the answer to mass Zerg Overlord drops.

Terrans have healing d-ships with banshees doing massive ATG damage, as well, Zerg can practically mind control numerous Protoss and turn the tide in their favour. And from what I have seen of zerg corruptors, THEY are overpowered to an extent, but then, everything has to be looked at in context. One can't just go around spouting nonsense about this is OP or that is OP. That's just ridiculous. At this point, we should all be thinking about strategies on how to use certain abilities. Not whining about them. Also, this is still Alpha; we will get a better idea on what really works or not once Beta hits around next few weeks.

terrans. anyway i'll be playing terran and some zerg most likely. gotta see how the beta goes.

Guys, this post wasn't about which race is overpowered, or which race is easiest.

It's about which race will be the most flexible - able to deviate from the standard "optimized" strategies for any given matchup. Which race will be the most conducive to playing creatively and doing the unexpected.

I think maybe Terran, because they seem to have a lot of units that overlap in role just a bit, like Reapers and Hellions both being viable for worker harass but in very different ways. They also have a lot of units that support each other, with lots of potential combinations. For instance Marauders will be a great support unit for Marines, and you can add Medivacs for healing. Or you can go for Tanks, which will also be well-supported by Marauders due to the slowing effect. Finally, the Reactor/Tech Lab mechanic gives Terrans potential for really quick tech switches from massing certain units to building higher-tech ones, from different buildings.
    The Spider Brigade has disabled your radio gauge