Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Critics on WOL's Plot

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Re: Critics on WOL's Plot

If only Tychus was as much of a man in reality as he was in that cinematic.

'She don't seem so tough to me'

If he had straight up just put a bullet in her head right then and there before Raynor had any time to react (which who knows, at this point it could all be part of a bigger plot), I would have earned 9000 more respect points for Tychus.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post

If he had straight up just put a bullet in her head right then and there before Raynor had any time to react (which who knows, at this point it could all be part of a bigger plot), I would have earned 9000 more respect points for Tychus.
    Maybe he wasn't too sure about doing that, but since when do the rifles have a laser sight? I think that the "writers" just wanted to show their clichéd bullshit at all costs, no matter how difficult to believe it is.

The whole "Tychus is under control" idea is fail. It's only bring to attention when Matt says it (shitty, blatantly obvious attempt to not make it look as an asspull later), and at the ending. It also breaks the story, because Mengsk should be aware of several things that he isn't, as revealed at the last Blizzcon, when someone asked how could Tychus steal the Odin and use it on Korhal without Mengsk knowing. At the end, it's only a *lame* attempt to bring tension to the plot, it utterly failed at that, wasn't credible at all (they didn't even attempted to do anything about it), and resulted on the dead of one of the few interesting characters on the game, that was just introduced.

Seriously, who wrote all this crap? After 12 years waiting a sequel, is it too much to ask Blizzard to show some respect for their fan base, and hire decent writers?

I was never all that into Starcraft's story to begin with so this doesn't affect me the way it does many others. I always enjoyed the campaign but it was just ok for me.

I have a question for you guys that are very disappointed. Is it possible for them to clean this up in the expansions, or is this just going to be a blemish on the whole storyline since they decided to split the races into separate expansions?
    I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

We-ell, the next expansions just might happen to be better. I don't think that "blemish" is a good word here. Think of a really weak installment in an otherwise good series of movies that obviously wasn't crafted with the attention it deserved (not quite "Batman Forever" level, but clearly starting to worsen).
    Last edited by Eligor; 12-08-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SinsWage View Post
    I have a question for you guys that are very disappointed. Is it possible for them to clean this up in the expansions, or is this just going to be a blemish on the whole storyline since they decided to split the races into separate expansions?
    Well how much can you really make up for when all the sidecharacters can't have too much role to play in each chapter and especially HotS.

So unless Blizz reacts to the critique and radically changes the storytelling and starts "polishing" the storyelements to me it seems it's not salvageable.

But that's not going to stop me from buying the CEs since I'm always going to be a naive fanboy who still believes Blizz can deliver proper products.
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -
    BusinessMonkey - SC:Legacy

If they "put the batteries on" with the expansions, they can still be very good. Unfortunatedly, the harm that has been already done, cannot be removed, unless by replacing WoL SP with DLC.
    If they didn't deemed worthy to hire good writers because of the amount of money the game was going to return (something that they pay a lot of attention nowadays), we could be facing two mediocre expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfindel View Post

The whole "Tychus is under control" idea is fail.... It also breaks the story, because Mengsk should be aware of several things that he isn't, as revealed at the last Blizzcon, when someone asked how could Tychus steal the Odin and use it on Korhal without Mengsk knowing.... At the end, it's only a *lame* attempt to bring tension to the plot, it utterly failed at that, wasn't credible at all (they didn't even attempted to do anything about it), and resulted on the dead of one of the few interesting characters on the game, that was just introduced.

Seriously, who wrote all this crap? After 12 years waiting a sequel, is it too much to ask Blizzard to show some respect for their fan base, and hire decent writers?
    Haha this is win. I've been more or less trying to convey this numerous times but people always downplay my statements on the leaked de-infested kerrigan, numerous plot holes, and cliche riddled story.

I never really pointed this out, glad you did. There's not much the fanboys&fangirls here can say about that point. It was a weak attempt at creating an antagonist in a game that had none to begin with. People may offer weak interpretations on how James Raynor was his own protagonist but Blizzard's writing dept. isn't that witty...or Metzen is just too much of a control freak on the story.

Eitherway, there's a wide range of agreement on the subpar story.
    I don't think anyone here will stepforward and seriously say they liked the campaign more than WC3/TFT/SC1.

To end this, I don't really blame Blizzard. It feels like they just blew the entire's game budget into creating Battle.net 2.0, a new engine, and hiring staff for the multiplayer development. Probably gutted all the $ funding in singleplayer...hence the NON-pre-rendered cinematics.

Browder himself complained that not all players were seeing what they originally envisioned in all of the cinematics due to a lack of hardware power on the customer side...Obvious commercial artist frustration. Why else would they do in-engine cinematics? Save $.

Quote Originally Posted by dustinbrowder View Post
    You are very weird man. Have you no logic?
    And again you had to be pretty big noob about PC not to know about the change, I mean even the birds on the trees knew about it.

...Its like calling throwing stone an athletic competition. Get a grip man and don't write nonsense...
    Shot put anyone?

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Quote Originally Posted by SinsWage View Post
    99% chance the expansions will be the same quality as WoL, and people will still be surprised and not see it coming. HoTS will be about "what it means to be Zerg" and LoTV will be about prophecies & artifacts garbage. Get ready for more of the same is my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post

I almost think he wanted to give Jim the opportunity to shoot him, which is why he hesitated.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfindel View Post
    The whole "Tychus is under control" idea is fail. It's only bring to attention when Matt says it (shitty, blatantly obvious attempt to not make it look as an asspull later), and at the ending. It also breaks the story, because Mengsk should be aware of several things that he isn't, as revealed at the last Blizzcon, when someone asked how could Tychus steal the Odin and use it on Korhal without Mengsk knowing. At the end, it's only a *lame* attempt to bring tension to the plot, it utterly failed at that, wasn't credible at all (they didn't even attempted to do anything about it), and resulted on the dead of one of the few interesting characters on the game, that was just introduced.
    Yeah, their answer really irked me. Up to that point, I had sort of figured that Mengsk did know of Raynor's attack and that Findlay was piloting the Odin but did not know the contents of Raynor's message. However, being the long-term player that he is, Mengsk simply chose to play along to maintain Findlay's cover and to help his mole gain Raynor's trust; thereby bringing him one step closer to his ultimate goal. To me, this would have worked better as it would also explain how Raynor and company managed to sneak onto Korhal in the first place (seeing as how it should be the most fortified planet following the new Zerg invasion) as well as indirect just how much a monster/bastard Mengsk is for willingly sacrificing his soldiers and endangering civilians purely to help sell his mole's cover.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
    To me, this would have worked better as it would also explain how Raynor and company managed to sneak onto Korhal in the first place (seeing as how it should be the most fortified planet following the new Zerg invasion)
    This isn't so much of a problem because BW has had many examples of easily hopping onto planets even when they should've been heavily fortified, eg: Zerg appearing on Shakuras, UED assaulting on 2nd Overmind on Char and son on.

Aside from that, totally agree that Mengsk should have known at least something. I can't believe how stupid he's become.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.