Thread: Need more effective zerg play styles

Default Need more effective zerg play styles

I'm pretty good with this unit counters that units kind of thinking. But I've been mainly going mutas (solely mutas) or roach / mutas or muta baneling or mass roach...

But the gameplay is getting a bit boring. Anyone have any suggestions of other unit combos that are more interesting to play?

I'm talking about effective unit combos. I really want to play a ground based army but it's incredibly tough to do so.

Zerglings require massive amounts of micro, banelings are too much of an all-in type strategy and roaches get eaten alive unless you do some kind of timing push.

I've been trying to get hydralisks into play but they're so frigging useless and expensive it isn't funny.

Any Sun-Tzu kind of strategy advice for playing Zerg?

I'm not losing a lot of my games as zerg, it's only just getting a bit boring since I use the same old strategies to win games over and over.

Default Re: Need more effective zerg play styles

As for the strategy part, all the units you mentioned are very good core units, so taking them out is not the easiest thing to do. However, if you want more hydralisks there is a build that involves hydra/infester against terran that requires extra queens and absurd proactive creep spreading. It isn't that hydras suck, it is that they suck off creep. I do not have any replays of it, but I have seen it done by IdrA and I have heard it talked about all the time by Artosis on the GSL.

What I suggest you do is one day a week just try weird things that day you play. Have you ever tried the mass overseer build vs zerg? If not, use that one day to give it a try. If, for one day a week or however long, you put your win/loss ratio on the back burner and just try creative new ways to play, you may actually find an interesting build that actually beats good strategies. Good luck in your games.
    I realize that I change my signature often. All I can say to that is: SO??? HAI FIVE!! (*・∀・)/♡\(・∀・*)

If you like anyone's post, be sure to give them additional rep.

Quote Originally Posted by silencbank View Post
    As for the strategy part, all the units you mentioned are very good core units, so taking them out is not the easiest thing to do. However, if you want more hydralisks there is a build that involves hydra/infester against terran that requires extra queens and absurd proactive creep spreading. It isn't that hydras suck, it is that they suck off creep. I do not have any replays of it, but I have seen it done by IdrA and I have heard it talked about all the time by Artosis on the GSL.
    I think i saw TLO do this in the most recent friendsday Wednesday @ day9. it was pretty cool.

Personally, im normal quite careful about hydras; they are good vs P if P are delaying their colossi or HT tech (for something like stargate play) and they are a good support unit overall. but so fragile and slow off-creep that its safest to have lots of roach and/or ling to back it up.

The simple answer to Wankeys question is Infestors; this is a solid play that you can do before / instead of going muta or hydra, or do something with before / as you tech to tier3.. it takes experience / practise to get the real spunk out of infestors, but you can really do alot with them in different situations. for example: http://sc2casts.com/cast1516-aTnXLor...s-Pro-Matchup# (part 2 from 2:50)

... once you get comfortable with infestors you can start getting mroe comfortable with combining them actively with other units; there's more than the obvious fungal + baneling combo.

... something im seriously starting to consider doing is aim for brodlords more often - while maintaining a reasonable energy-pool of infestors near the point of confrontation, to pin enemy units down to maximize the utility of BL range.. i cant build a game on an endgame tactic though, but i have an idea about waht circumstances might call for this, though, it may take sometime for those to appear..

ZvZ is also a match up i like funking up using larger nubmers of queens.; this probably has merit in other match ups too but i havnt really considered that, past the simple notion of spreading creep faster and transfusing OL's (and early AA)

... generally speaking, there's much to be done with zerg. i like to stay organic and reactive with my play to a large extent, at least when the game is close or not clearly in my favour. i use every zerg unit fairly regularly!
    Last edited by Todie; 11-23-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

ling baneling infestor is really fun and extremely good in zvt. constant harassment is possible with lings and infestors, combine drop tech for dropping banelings or just mix them with their army, and just max out supply on those units. you can do something like 3 base 5 hatches with queens on constant production while maxing out on lings and infestors. its tons of fun and very very effective. overwhelm him with sheer numbers, and it doesn't take a ton of drones to do either.

Zergs are the fastest paced and most position intensive of all of the strategies.

With all of the Zergs' movement capabilities, creep advantages and aggressive

need for expansion and map control the Zerg strategies. It involves a lot of

planning for the future and insight into what your opponent is teaching to.

The Zerg has its own advantages like the ability to heal over time and its mass

troops are faster than any other race.

TheAdept's Avatar Junior Member

Honestly for me i love my zerg builds but found some of the most effective straits are ones you figure out on your own instead of going with some of the more known strategies. that everyone knows and can counter so keep a bit of surprise n your build and strategy the confusion will only work to your advantage