Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PROTOSS secret levels

Default PROTOSS secret levels

I had made a Campaign some years ago... I guess 5 years ago and named it "Protoss secret levels" telling some "untold story" of the protoss... and...
    heck! I wanted to know what you think, don't be too strict, I made them some 5 years ago and they may look & feel crappy, I just wanted people opinions and... well if it was at least interesting I would keep on mapping when SCII comes out...
    The story rises a lore question since in SCII High templars and Dark templars can merge into archons... but it wasn't that way 5 years ago, the only hint was the existence of the "Tassadar/Zeratul archon" in Star Edit.

EDIT
    After some posts I think I should clarify it's been compressed with Winrar so you need to extract the maps... the campaign requires Brood war.

Also I think I must specify this
    Quote Originally Posted by Josue View Post
    Well guys, since this was a work made 5 years ago, do you mind beta testing it (finding bugs and glitches) so I can upload a fixed version?
    SCII seems still too far from now that... well I just guess I will have time to fix/improve it

Default Re: PROTOSS secret levels

I tried one or 2 levels a little while ago (Ill play the rest sometime). They were pretty good. The dialogue could use some work, but the triggers worked pretty well. Just get some voices and your all set.

Talking Re: PROTOSS secret levels

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Jonny View Post
    I tried one or 2 levels a little while ago (Ill play the rest sometime). They were pretty good. The dialogue could use some work, but the triggers worked pretty well. Just get some voices and your all set.
    Thank you!!! at least someone said something...
    I was tired of waiting for at least an opinion...
    Anyways, you said the dialogue could use some work, could specify a bit further?
    About getting voices... I wonder if I'll be able... I had been thinking to remake the entire thing with the Galaxy Editor once SCII comes out... but time will tell things...
    I don't remember how well made were the last missions maybe too hard to beat them...
    Thanks a lot Crazy_Jonny!!!
    and what happened to the others?

I wasn't aware of this until now. That's a popular area to do maps. I just did the first mission.

There were problems, though. Something like a combeep being used when the characters spoke would have been a better idea, IMO, then quotes over and over again. (Tassadar wasn't talking to an executor either, he was talking to Zeratul! And the observer one was particularly annoying. It has its own beep you could have used.)

Tassadar made nice with Zeratul way too quickly, despite (as Zeratul pointed out) how the Conclave would have him executed for daring to speak to the Dark Templar. Tassadar was fascinated with the Dark Templar (according to the manual) but that was still too fast. Also, there's no need to freeze the game that often when characters talk. Not that StarCraft has a ready solution for this, though, but in Warcraft III they (over)used those little cinematics precisely because you could skip them if you didn't want to wait. On the plus side, we were given a clear update on the mission objectives.

Mission objectives needed serious clarification as well. For instance, when moving towards the teal beacon in the north, all of a sudden I get a message saying this area (to the north-east) is infested and we should check it out. That's not very specific. There was nothing to see except a bunch of burrowed zerglings, which were quickly exterminated. I had no idea the goal of that was; it would have helped if Tassadar or Zeratul had said something more, and it would have helped if something were added to the Mission Objectives. On the other hand, pwning the zerg with Zeratul was fun. (I left Tassadar behind, occasionally psi-storming mutalisk attacks until my forces got close to the beacon.)

After fighting to the beacon, there was information transfer (real cool job on that one; lots of StarCraft I missions didn't have enough talking, especially at such a critical point) and we were told not to fight, since we just wanted to get info. Made sense, giving the massive zerg presence.

We were then told to go to the blue beacon in the southwest. Made sense, so I started going, only to suffer a massive attack from that direction. Still having to flee forces with my heroes, needless to say there was much attention-splitting. It's difficult to do that in a fun way. Anyway, as I traveled to the southwest I got another transmission where Tassadar said the zerg were planning some sort of trap and we should use psionic storm to help deal with it.

And the area to check was back in the north (opposite direction from where I was told to go) and not making narrative sense, since we were just told to run from there due to massive opposition. Giving the player an idea of what the trap was would have helped. I wasn't told which objective was supposed to take priority, since you couldn't do both. Again, nothing was added to the Mission Objective. Having no clue what to do, short of using the invincibility cheat and just flying around the map, I quit and started typing in this thread.

Sorry but it was too confusing to be enjoyable.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Thanks a lot for all your feedback!!!
    I made this campaign 5 years ago, I used all that was within my skills...
    I really wished Star Craft Campaign editor had a "cinematic" option, for all the story I made... that's why I wanted to remake my campaign with the new Galaxy editor once SCII comes out...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    I wasn't aware of this until now. That's a popular area to do maps. I just did the first mission.

There were problems, though. Something like a combeep being used when the characters spoke would have been a better idea, IMO, then quotes over and over again. (Tassadar wasn't talking to an executor either, he was talking to Zeratul! And the observer one was particularly annoying. It has its own beep you could have used.)
    About the observer sound... I think I thought I had used the observer's annoyed sound...
    About the infested area, Tassadar suspects the nearby area might be infested...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757
    "And the area to check was back in the north"
    Ugh sorry, it is a bug, (you know, some of those details I must have forgotten since I wasn't very experienced) you must keep going to the southwest, the trap is right there, just keep going to the blue beacon.

Well, this involves the Protoss, so I may have to check it out.

Well guys, since this was a work made 5 years ago, do you mind beta testing it (finding bugs and glitches) so I can upload a fixed version?
    SCII seems still too far from now that... well I just guess I will have time to fix/improve it

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Archon View Post
    Some 5 years ago I created a campaign I boringly named "Protoss Secret levels" (check thread)
    which features this kind of behaviour... but not with overlords... (after all you only need a few to control very large amounts of zerg units i.e 3 overlords are enough to control 12 zerglings and 10 drones since each overlord can control 8 units... if one is killed... c'mon they're under the control of 3 not only one... etc, doesn't make sense unless ALL overlords are killed...)
    the fact is that in my missions Zergs go crazy and lose control of their forces once a cerebrate is killed, I know you might be thinking "yeah, nothing new with that"
    the case is that they begin to attack random targets(even other zerg that were their allies) so they run amok in utter chaos!!!
    if that doesn't sound interesting... then I don't understand you people...
    That actually sounds pretty awesome.
    Thank you, but I wonder why I get the campaign downloaded (more than 10 downloads )and I only got 3 comments! I know I made it 5 years ago when I was even less skilled and it's not the best quality but... c'mon at least say its a bit crappy but say something people!!!

Well guys, Certainly some people downloaded... but... it's been a month and... no comments? not even a
    "yeah dude, that's crap!?"

Okay, I have a problem trying to start it. Any specific directions that I need to follow?