Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Echoes of the Future Alternate Storyline from Editor

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Echoes of the Future Alternate Storyline from Editor

This is the alternate storyline that Blizzard was messing around with that didn't involve Tassadar returning. It sheds some more light on where Blizzard was going w/ this prophecy mumbo-jumbo:

Hidden Content:
    TZeratul03/Voice overs/OBSOLETE/OLD CINEMATICS/ZERATUL REACHES FIRST TENDRIL NODE:
    Zeratul: The first tendril node! Gods willing, some trace of the Overmind remains...

--- The camera cuts away to a pre-built zerg creep-out area. We are in heavy shadow. In the HEAVY RED LIGHT we see a few zerg larvae creeping around in the muck.
    Overmind: Zerg. This is the first expression of all that I am.

--- We see the larva enter its egg state.
    Overmind: The perfect design...

--- We see the egg explode as a zerglings crawls out. It sniffs the air (or emotes somehow).
    Overmind: Bred to assimilate the strongest species...

--- A wave of additional zerglings race up behind the first one and charge across the screen.
    Overmind: A perfect genetic ferocity...

--- The first zerglings emotes and then starts running with them as the camera pans up and around the swarming creatures.
    Overmind: Driven by a perfect, single-minded will...

--- The visions ends... we cut back to Zeratul standing near the tendril node.
    Zeratul: I have glimpsed the Overmind's origins... but there must be more! I must keep moving.

TZeratul03/Voice overs/OBSOLETE/OLD CINEMATICS/ZERATUL REACHES SECOND TENDRIL NODE:
    Zeratul: The second tendril node! I must make contact quickly!

--- The camera cuts away to a view of SPACE. Through HEAVY RED LIGHT we see a swarm of zerg flyers moving slowly across a star field. The camera pans around them - showing their alien grace and majesty as a swarm.
    Overmind: Long did the Swarm wander the void...Assimilating the lesser species it encountered.

--- Camera swings around to show the space BEHIND this swarm... there we see DEAD WORLDS behind them... Could be 2D - gray/lifeless - or aflame (whatever)... we want to show the swarm as hugely destructive.
    Overmind: I was driven by the deepest manipulations of the Xel'Naga - to find and assimilate their first born...their failed children...the protoss.

--- The camera cuts to show a worm-hole SLOWLY open up before the swarm (similar to the Zerg victory flic <n/>in Star1 - this will use the 'black hole' Mothership spell art). The zerg 'get pulled in' to the black hole as if <n/>using it as a wormhole for travel...
    Overmind: I was nothing more than an instrument to the Xel'Naga...The Swarm was the raging fire that would consume the evidence of their sins.

--- All the zerg 'teleport' through the wormhole - leaving only silent stars before us. The scene starts to go black.
    Overmind: But what of my children? Would they have no future of their own?

--- Camera cuts back to Zeratul as he stands before the tendril node.
    Zeratul: The Overmind seemed almost... selfless. I must press on.

TZeratul03/Voice overs/OBSOLETE/OLD CINEMATICS/ZERATUL REACHES THIRD TENDRIL NODE:
    Zeratul: The third node at last!

--- The camera cuts away to a zerg 'room' - a dark chamber covered with CREEP. HEAVY RED LIGHT and shadow... the camera slowly pans around the room... A strong heartbeat is heard echoing throughout the chamber.
    Overmind: The Xel'Naga had created me to eradicate their failed children - the protoss - in a battle neither species would survive.

--- Camera stops tracking at the center of the room - as we see a CHRYSALIS (similar to Star1).
    Overmind: I could do nothing...but obey.

--- Camera starts zooming in towards the chrysalis.
    Overmind: Yet I deemed the purity of the Swarm was greater than my function - greater even than the Creators' Pyrrhic vision. I would birth...an inheritor.

--- The chrysalis begins to warp and flex - something is tearing its way out. The heartbeat is faster - thundering now.
    Overmind: One who would give the Swarm its freedom.

--- We see KERRIGAN arise from the Chrysalis. The camera slowly pans around her form - revealing her majesty.
    Overmind: And help it to...evolve.

--- We see tons of zerg rushing at her - swarming around her as their new queen. Camera cuts back to Zeratul.
    Zeratul: Kerrigan. (beat) Could the Overmind have created her... to stop the Xel'Naga's return?

TZeratul03/Voice overs/OBSOLETE/OLD CINEMATICS/ZERATUL REACHES FOURTH TENDRIL NODE:
    Zeratul: The final tendril node... Gods, grant me the answers I seek.

--- The camera pans down to the scenes as the combat gets nasty. We see GANTRITHOR flying on-screen as in the BRIEFING.
    Overmind: I made my war against the first born as I was destined to.

--- The camera pans down to the scenes as the combat gets nasty. We see GANTRITHOR flying on-screen as in the BRIEFING.
    Overmind: Before I could assimilate the protoss - I was undone.

--- As the camera spirals to the ground (tracking Gantrithor), there is a FLASH of white light. The camera slowly fades back in to show Kerrigan standing on the battlefield as zerg swarm around her. Camera pans down toward her as she unleashes her powers against the protoss forces.
    Overmind: Yet my...daughter...remained. She alone would break the cycle. She alone would forge a future devoid of the hated Xel'Naga.

--- The whole scene starts fading to black.
    Overmind: She alone would lead the Swarm ...into tomorrow.

--- Cut back to Zeratul.
    Zeratul: I can scarcely believe what I have seen. What terrible irony - that the wretched Queen of Blades... is the key to saving all who live.

TZeratul03/Voice overs/OBSOLETE/Zeratul Enters Overmind Cortex OBSOLETE
    Zeratul: Overmind! Trace impulses of the foul creature do linger!

Zeratul: Who did this?

Zeratul: I care nothing for your hopes. Tell me of the prophecy, damn you!

Zeratul: The Queen of Blades? Madness!

--- Zeratul takes a step back.
    Zeratul: No! This vision! I cannot bear it, stop!

--- FADE TO WHITE

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Re: Echoes of the Future Alternate Storyline from Editor

omg... reading Zeratul's lines make me cringe.

I must make contact quickly! *Takes the 'tendril' and gently touches tips*

That is way better than how it was in game.

Why the hell did they feel the need to include Tassadar in there? It was fine the way it was.

However, this brings up a few questions. Why would the Xel'Naga want the Protoss destroyed? I thought the Xel'Naga were reaching the end of their lifetime, so they NEED the Protoss in order to create their next generation. Maybe they were aware of the Dark Voice and Duran's ambitions to artificially hybridize the zerg and protoss and they're afraid of what this unnatural new Xel'Naga would be capable of?

Or if this is indeed simply an alternate way of sticking to the same storyline, then the Dark Voice is one of the Xel'Naga, since in the game Tassadar says the Dark Voice enslaved the Overmind, whereas here it's said that the Xel'Naga did.

Or they simply had no idea what the hell they were doing and are just going with whatever the fuck comes to mind first.

Quote Originally Posted by Articorse View Post
    However, this brings up a few questions. Why would the Xel'Naga want the Protoss destroyed? I thought the Xel'Naga were reaching the end of their lifetime, so they NEED the Protoss in order to create their next generation.
    What you aren't considering is that this was scrapped, it's not the final plot. The dark templar trilogy was being written during heavy SC2 development so it was probably changed somewhere during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0x View Post
    What you aren't considering is that this was scrapped, it's not the final plot. The dark templar trilogy was being written during heavy SC2 development so it was probably changed somewhere during that time.
    Actually, I did consider that. Last line in my previous post. They were probably 'winging it'. Frankly, the whole WoL campaign reeks of being written on a whim. They have also admitted, if I recall correctly, that they really have no clear idea what the connection between Narud and Duran is, if Kerrigan is completely deinfested, etc.

I think the last interview with the lead writer, forgot his name, mentioned something about the the Narud - Duran connection not being clear even to the writers.

Don't take my word for it, though, I'm not 100% sure about the last part.

Probably the Xel'Naga were going to be the bad guys before Blizzard remembered they introduced the Hybrids, and needed to do something about them

It wasn't very good, really, why would they want to wipe the Protoss now, and just why? The Xel'Naga were supposed to be pacific.
    Last edited by Norfindel; 11-05-2010 at 09:50 PM.

It not as much about the story being bad or making sense. What I'd like to point out is that by imagining playing that mission with this storytelling and the way the story unfolds makes a much more intriguing experience than Tassadars blurring it all out in the final game.
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -
    BusinessMonkey - SC:Legacy

but with this no tassadar!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    but with this no tassadar!!!
    And that's the beauty of it!

STOP REVIVING CHARACTERS, BLIZZARD!