Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The StarCraft Bible

Default The StarCraft Bible

Hey guys. The book will be released on Jan 3 2011. You can get any info you need here on TL or here on my blog. I hope you guys like it. Tell me what you think!:]

---- old post--
    Helllooo SCLegacy. I think this is the first time I'm posting here in what feels like a decade. Good to see it still stands.

You guys may have seen "The StarCraft Bible" on Team Liquid about a month ago. Well, it is going to be refined, expanded and published as a book in December, in time for Christmas.

I'd love for you guys to consider contributing. Here are the details as originally posted over at TL:
    The StarCraft Bible is going to be published in December. A book? Crazy, I know. To do it, I need your help.

A month ago, I posted The StarCraft Bible. Check it out, people (really) liked it. Since then, I have been asked when I'm going to finish it. It's actually been really neat getting those questions constantly - thank you for reading it and thanks for caring enough to want more.

So, when am I going to finish it? Now.

All this month, I am going to be writing, refining and completing the original project. I am going to make it great, I promise you. But I want your help to go further than that. This is going to be a community project.

I am going to take submissions for the book until November 30. I know that with you guys, the community, on board, this book can be incredible. I'm asking the community to contribute everything you can. With any luck, the talent in this community will shine through and a wider audience will get a glimpse of the passion that lives here.

We're on the look out for any sort of submission you can imagine. Be creative. Think about how the game has affected your life, think about the legends who have played and think about the giants whose shoulders we stand on. A short list of some ideas: Histories of StarCraft and all relevant video games, personal stories, art work, creative writing - hell, love letters to your favorite units (Dear Reaver, why hath you forsaken me?). Anything! We're keeping an extremely open mind for submissions. Every idea will get a fair shake.

As one TLer recently wrote, "Not only would it help e-sports, it would help people understand just why starcraft is so special, and what it means to us all."

This is not going to be a text book. This is going to be a (thoroughly manly) love letter.

Here's how to submit: PM me here or email me at apexcp at gmail dot com. Again, the deadline is November 30. However, that may slide up or down depending on the response! So make sure you tell me you are interested as soon as possible! I'd hate to exclude great stuff because of a missed deadline.

Me and my crack team will gather the highest quality submissions and put together a book worth your time. We'll hit the printers in early December and, if all goes according to plan, by mid to early December, you'll be able to order a copy. By the holidays, you'll have a shiny new present to share.

Over the next month, I'll keep you guys posted on who is getting involved and what is being done.
    I've got a number of people on board and working at their own submissions as we speak. I'd really like it if someone from SCLegacy (maybe the first SC I ever visited way back when) hopped on board.

Here is a short FAQ:
    Is everything final?
    Nothing is final. Not the title, not the content and not distribution method. Suggestions for all aspects of the project are welcome.

What do I get if published?
    A copy of the book, due credit and probably a lifetime supply of high fives.

Will this book physically exist or will it be an ebook?
    It will both physically exist and be an e-book.

What length are you looking for in submissions?
    Max short story length in many anthologies is from 7K-9k words. Keep that number in mind, send me what you've come up with and I will be mercilessly honest from there.
    Who do you suggest we include? Which member of the community (or someone important outside of it?) do you want to see in here?

Suggestions for all aspects of the project are welcome. Let me have it, it can only improve the final product.

P.S. Even if you aren't going to submit something yourself, talk about it to your friends. Who knows, maybe your clan-mate has the perfect story/piece of art to share. This entire project will work best via word of mouth, so start talking!

Because publishing a book independently is a strange experience and because spamming this site is not always the best way to get your thoughts down, I've put down roots at a simple little blog http://thestarcraftbible.wordpress.com/.

Hope you guys are excited. Have a good one.
    Last edited by chobopeon; 12-30-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Default Re: The StarCraft Bible

Do we need 4 Diamond-player game replays to fundament our submission? xd

dustinbrowder's Avatar Banned

That's all great and all, but wouldn't you be in trouble for publishing something that is copyrighted. I mean, even if its good for the community and starcraft, Blizzard will be opposed, unless this book is free.

cool idea but not getting what we do for the submissions...

I wonder if this has already spread or has spread from WoW. On a side note, I didn't know that Starcraft was an official religion. I'm guessing what's next is what holy being the Starcraft Bible will tell you to believe in or is it just to only care about Starcraft?

get your own starcraft 2 signature at sc2sig.com

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

"And lo, on the 7th day of the 7th month, the Tychus of Findlay was freed from his shackles, and decreed, 'Hell, its about time.'"

Yin and Yen, Macro and Micro :P I wanna know whos the Jesus of the sc bible?

Quote Originally Posted by dustinbrowder View Post
    That's all great and all, but wouldn't you be in trouble for publishing something that is copyrighted. I mean, even if its good for the community and starcraft, Blizzard will be opposed, unless this book is free.
    Nah, we're covered with copyright.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    cool idea but not getting what we do for the submissions...
    A number of things. The original bible focused on history. We're also looking for personal stories, creative work, art - pretty much anything. If it's quality work, it's in.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    "And lo, on the 7th day of the 7th month, the Tychus of Findlay was freed from his shackles, and decreed, 'Hell, its about time.'"
    Forever and ever amen