Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brood Lords, need a change?

Godless's Avatar Junior Member

Default Brood Lords, need a change?

I've been experimenting with Brood Lords for about 2 weeks now, not as a project or anything, but if the circumstance calls for it I'll tech up to them and use them. I'm not a pro, platinum in 1v1 and 2v2, but after some use I've decided that Brood Lords need a buff somehow. Here's my thinking.

1. Easily counterable. By the time you can get to a Greater Spire, the whole tech tree is open to you, and the game has presumably gone on for a while. Protoss have the easiest counter I've found, which is stalkers with blink. Most ground units have a hard time getting past the thirty broodlings that block the ground between them and the Brood Lords, but a quick blink nuetralizes that advantage, and by the time you get to Brood Lords most Protoss players will have blink already researched anyways. Also, Warp Rays are a very effective counter, and one that a Toss player might already have available by the time your Brood Lords come into play.

Terran has Vikings, which are pure death to your Brood Lords. They're cheap, they're easy to get, and an opponent only needs a couple to shut you down.

Zerg has the hardest time countering Brood Lords, and for the most part I would say Brood Lords are the most effective in a mirror match. Of course the Corrupter is the correct counter, but if you're playing a Zerg who presumably is playing a ground game, you'll be able to wipe their army out and then take out their Spire before it's done mutating.

2. Brood Lords are prohibitively expensive. Not only does it cost a buttload of gas to tech all the way to Greater Spire, but each Brood Lord costs a whopping 250 gas (100 for the Corrupter, 150 for the mutation). That means that if you're getting Brood Lords, it's almost impossible to get anything else besides Zerglings to augment your army.

The way I see it, the only use Brood Lords have right now is if you can mass them secretly, and then unleash them on your opponent and destroy him (or her) before they can react. And that's fine, a good punishment for them not scouting you. The problem is that, they're such a large investment, you're pretty much gambling that your Zergling/Broodlord army is going to win the game for you.

My suggestion is that their gas cost be reduced. It doesn't have to be much, but the ability to add a few Hydralisks to your army makes it much more versatile and effective. It's still countered by a decent air force, which is what Blizzard intended. But having the gas to add some Hydras gives you the ability to prevent the lone viking or warp ray from ruining you.

Any thoughts? Have others had more success with Brood Lords than me?

Default Re: Brood Lords, need a change?

I think all 3 races have a similar problem insofar as they have units that are pure luxury for a player who is already on track for a sure win. The mother ship, battle cruiser and brood lord seem to be too expensive for what they deliver in a competitive setting. People simply get more bang for their buck from cheaper units. I'm not implying hat they have no use, they just need to be tweaked to see wider use.
    I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

MajinX's Avatar Junior Member

i think it might be the timing of ur brood lord usage. I find brood lords are best when combined with a hydro or mutalisk (altho gas intensive) force, however you never need alot of brood lords as they do massive damage and spawn broodlings that continue doing even more damage. If you have like 20 hydras and 5 brood lords that is all you really need to change the tide of battle. Brood lords arent really the mass type unless u actually have the time to prepare for them and ur opponent really has no anti air.

dustinbrowder's Avatar Banned

Can you post your Diamond points and position, because Platinum 1000 is like IcCup C+ and doesn't necessarily mean you are very good.
    With that said, no I don't think brood lords are weak, they are not even supposed to be used as a single unit, you build 5, maybe 6 of them along with your other army of banelings, mutalisks and zerglings and then they are very effective.

Toss needs T3+Research AoE to even survive the numbers of the Zerg, so it could be said that we are in deepest shit anyways. Hydras are crazy, Zerglings are so many that cannot even be counted and eat Stalkers/Immortals alive, Roaches just got buffed. It's pretty much getting AoE ASAP or death.
    Also, Toss Air has serious issues. The VR is pretty much the only unit worth building at the moment, save for Phoenix vs Muta/Overlord, which is really their only decent use right now.

What is this Brood Lord you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by Norfindel View Post
    Toss needs T3+Research AoE to even survive the numbers of the Zerg, so it could be said that we are in deepest shit anyways. Hydras are crazy, Zerglings are so many that cannot even be counted and eat Stalkers/Immortals alive, Roaches just got buffed. It's pretty much getting AoE ASAP or death.
    Also, Toss Air has serious issues. The VR is pretty much the only unit worth building at the moment, save for Phoenix vs Muta/Overlord, which is really their only decent use right now.
    Psi Storm is your solution to everything except Brood Lords and Ultras.
    "Living for the Swarm!"

Quote Originally Posted by dustinbrowder View Post
    Can you post your Diamond points and position, because Platinum 1000 is like IcCup C+ and doesn't necessarily mean you are very good.
    That's being damn generous. I never broke past D+ in iccup and I'm sittin at around 1700 Diamond.

DharmaInit's Avatar Junior Member

Broodlords are the sickest thing. Blink Stalkers are not a counter. You are NOT suppose to just get 10-12 broodlords and expect to demolish an entire army. They aren't the "carriers" of zerg so don't treat them like they are. They stay in the back and are for suppose. Guardians were the same way in SC1. Suppose. Not Battlecruisers or Carriers.

Blink stalkers aren't gonna do jack.
    A protoss is suppose to blink through your army of lings/hydra/roaches and focus down each broodlord? Get real. Stalkers have 80/80 and melt instantly And shoot slow as all hell.

Quote Originally Posted by dustinbrowder View Post
    With that said, no I don't think brood lords are weak, they are not even supposed to be used as a single unit, you build 5, maybe 6 of them along with your other army of banelings, mutalisks and zerglings and then they are very effective.
    Here they are about 1000 points, and I have never ever seen brood lords used in a 1v1. I saw a mothership once (but I killed it to easy) I have seen battlecruisers a bit in TvT or even TvZ.

Imo something needs to be done about brood lords and mothership. I am not sure about battlecruisers though. They got their yamato and high dps.

*Ok, I have not played that many games. But imo it is not fair to judge only by skills when it comes to ideas.