Thread: Possible extremely sophisticated Battle.net phishing scam?

Default Possible extremely sophisticated Battle.net phishing scam?

I got an E-Mail from Blizzard saying that my contact info had been changed. I went to the site (not through the link in the E-Mail) and saw that my contact info had not been changed. I thought it was a mis-send, some odd error in Blizzard's system. But I also noticed that I had forgotten to update my phone number, so I did so. I then received a slightly different E-Mail with basically the same message. Was the first one the most sophisticed Battle.Net phishing scam ever? Here is the text of the second (presumably legit) E-Mail:

Battle.net Account - Contact Information Updated‏

Hello [name redacted],

This is an automated notification regarding your Battle.net account. Some or all of your contact information was recently modified through Battle.net Account Management. If you recently made changes to your account information, please disregard this automatic notification.

*** However, if you did NOT make any recent changes to your account information, we recommend you change your password and make appropriate corrections as soon as possible to ensure account security.

You can log in to Account Management at the following link to review your account settings:
    http://www.battle.net/account

If you cannot sign into Account Management using the link above, or if unauthorized changes continue to occur, click here for answers to Frequently Asked Questions or contact the Blizzard Billing & Account Services team.

Account security is solely the responsibility of the account holder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised account, Blizzard representatives will typically lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.

Regards,

The Battle.net Support Team
    Blizzard Entertainment
    Online Privacy Policy

And now the probably fake E-Mail:

Battle.net Account - Account Change Notice‏
    Hello,

This is an automated notification regarding your Battle.net account. Some or all of your contact information was recently modified through the Account Management website.

*** If you made recent account changes, please disregard this automatic notification.

*** If you did NOT make any changes to your account, we recommend you log in to review your account settings.
    [shady link redacted]
    If you cannot sign into Account Management using the link above, or if unauthorized changes continue to happen, please contact Blizzard Billing & Account Services for further assistance.

Billing & Account Services can be reached at 1-800-59-BLIZZARD (1-800-592-5499 Mon-Fri, 8AM-8PM Pacific Time) or at billing@blizzard.com.

Account security is solely the responsibility of the accountholder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised account, Blizzard representatives will typically lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.

Regards,

The Battle.net Support Team
    Blizzard Entertainment
    www.blizzard.com/support
    Online Privacy Policy

If this really is a phishing scheme then it's a particularly well-done one. They spoofed a real Blizzard E-Mail address, and the link they wanted me to click has no obvious flaws like being "batle.net" or something like that. The only thing that saved me was my habit of never logging in to anything through a link in an E-Mail. Has anyone else ever seen something similar?

Default Re: Possible extremely sophisticated Battle.net phishing scam?

These have been going around for a couple of years :P

battle.net accounts are more profitable than credit card numbers, so they are one of the highest targets of phishing/keylogging.

Your source for sound, logical and reasonable responses.

Wow, nice letter by the way, usually I get spam like this with lesser words and tons of mistakes I get these kind of mails daily, 1-2 or so. Funny thing is that I receive mails about WoW, though I quit playing like an year ago

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    These have been going around for a couple of years :P

battle.net accounts are more profitable than credit card numbers, so they are one of the highest targets of phishing/keylogging.
    I knew that phishing scams for B.Net accounts were popular because of WoW, I just hadn't seen something so convincing before.