Thread: Hold position workers

Default Hold position workers

So, I havent really seen any kind of discussion about this for anything... but I think there is a fair amount possible in abusing the pathing/targetting AI in the game against melee units by abusing workers on hold position. As long as some ranged unit is hitting the melee target, they ignore workers (as seen by SCV's repairing thors) completely. Pair this up with some kind of concave (see video) or partial wall and they just cant figure out how to get to the units and do nothing until the player forces them to hit the workers.

Anyway, its probably not too viable except for rare circumstances, but I thought I would post anyway.

PS: With about 7 SCV's you can block 4 zealots (maybe more) in an open area (and definitely a lot more on a ramp), and even if they eventually target the SCV's, it may have been worth the free shots/time they bought when the player doesnt immediately realize he has to manually target the worker concave.

Your source for sound, logical and reasonable responses.

Default Re: Hold position workers

Yes, the same happened in BW too. It was quite obvious with M&M.
    I suppose it's to keep pathing processing in reasonable levels, but i think it can be avoided by manually moving the melee units where they have a clear path to their targets.

I think that melee units are more negatively affected by the decision to make collision boxes smaller, as ranged units can clump a lot, specially small ones like the Marines, and a lot of them can shoot at the same time. This is most notorious for unupgraded Zealots, that are slow. On top of that, the Marauder has Concussive Shells. Was that really needed? It isn't too effective against Zerglings, and unupgraded Zealots are already slow enough to be kited. Maybe they should move the Concussive Shells upgrade to be available at the same time than Charge, so that they are in direct contest, or at least don't make the units SO slow. It cuts the movement speed in half, that's outrageous.

Yep. I remember using this trick in BW. It isn't very useful unless the other guy isn't paying attention to his own units. Otherwise he'll just manually attack the workers. It is kind of annoying to deal with but isn't an obstacle that is too hard to get rid of.

Yours Truly,
    SonOfChaos

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfChaos View Post
    Yep. I remember using this trick in BW. It isn't very useful unless the other guy isn't paying attention to his own units. Otherwise he'll just manually attack the workers. It is kind of annoying to deal with but isn't an obstacle that is too hard to get rid of.
    That's not true. I've had quite a few protoss use this when fast expanding. Just one turret, and the rest of their buildings make my lings go all the way around the minerals (on metal or xel'naga). Over there, between the FF and the workers, there's no way you can breach him.

It's something people should use a lot more because of how strong it is. Kinda like the good old mineral walk in BW. It still exists now but it isn't nearly as effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
    That's not true. I've had quite a few protoss use this when fast expanding. Just one turret, and the rest of their buildings make my lings go all the way around the minerals (on metal or xel'naga). Over there, between the FF and the workers, there's no way you can breach him.
    That's a good point. I never had that problem so I never really thought about that. How was the defense in their main?

But the real question is, "Is it imba enough that Blizz should correct the targeting for workers on hold?"

Yours Truly,
    SonOfChaos

Nah I don't think it's imba. It's a valid strat and I should have reacted quickly and teched or powered more.

However, on the forcefield topic, I think workers shouldn't be blocked by FF, especially when mineral walking. This is specifically an issue when your main-natural ramp is FFed... and you're just Fed