View Poll Results: Should the PF be buffed, and how?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, with a GtA attack with range to hit any unit.

2 3.39%
  • Yes, with a GtA attack equal to its current attack.

1 1.69%
  • No, it's fine as is.

56 94.92%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Planetary Fortress useful or useless?

Default Is the Planetary Fortress useful or useless?

I sometimes feel buiding PFs is a waste of resources. That's not to say there aren't circumstances where a PF can be a life saver. For example, whenever I build a PF at an Expo early game, my opponent simply switches to an AtG attack and tries to snipe it before I can get enough turrets built, and they try to snipe the turrets with high ranged units (colossi, tanks, broodlords). It's a great thing if you can limit what your opponent can get and/or counter your opponent effectively, but it can be overrun or outgunned. I feel it might be helped with a GtA attack (researchable) exchanged for the range upgrade. Which of the versions in the poll do you feel would be best?
    Last edited by flak4321; 10-18-2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Reread inital post and felt it wasn't clear. :)

Default Re: Is the Planetary Fortress useful or useless?

No buffs, learn to play the planetary fortress. It's one of the most overpowered units in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wankey View Post
    No buffs, learn to play the planetary fortress. It's one of the most overpowered units in the game.
    I'll admit that I probably need some more practice with it. You can never have enough experience as SC has ever lent itself to strategic innovation.
    I am a master tactician. It is my execution that keeps getting me killed.

PF with like 22-30 guys repairing it is hard enough to kill not to mention the mass missle turrets around it...Im going to have to say DEFINETLY NO!

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

When 30 Stalkers can't take it out, it's absurd. :P

Quote Originally Posted by flak4321 View Post
    I sometimes feel buiding PFs is a waste of resources. That's not to say there aren't circumstances where a PF can be a life saver. For example, whenever I build a PF at an Expo early game, my opponent simply switches to an AtG attack and tries to snipe it before I can get enough turrets built, and they try to snipe the turrets with high ranged units (colossi, tanks, broodlords). It's a great thing if you can limit what your opponent can get and/or counter your opponent effectively, but it can be overrun or outgunned. I feel it might be helped with a GtA attack (researchable) exchanged for the range upgrade. Which of the versions in the poll do you feel would be best?
    Umm no fast expo will ever be threatened by colossus or broodlords they r way to high up in the tech tree...tanks maybe they can get out pretty fast but the other too no way in hell they can get it out evne if they go str8 for it...also if they dont got much air and lots of ground and u have about 20ish scv repairing it will kill their army instantly with little to no loses to u.

giving PF a GTA attack might be the worst idea ever.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

Thanks for the opinions folks. I just haven't had much luck with PFs I guess. I either lose it to banshees, VRs or mutas or a ground army pounds it before it finishes. Also, to clarify part of the opening post, when I say early game, I mean early, but not quite fast expand early. A PF would work in a fast expand situation, and I have had them survive a bit when doing so, especially aganst Zerg. I had a Toss march a group of Immortals in once while I was attacking his main, and we traded bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Todie View Post
    giving PF a GTA attack might be the worst idea ever.
    I will admit this is not the best suggestion in the world. I have made a few that weren't so good.

It's fine as is. I've seen people have such a hard time trying to take out PFs

Yours Truly,
    SonOfChaos

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    When 30 Stalkers can't take it out, it's absurd. :P
    Can't argue with that. Might be helpful if you could blink in and get more units hitting it at the same time. Or not. You are high enough above me in skill that you may have tried this.

I think I'll read some of the related threads in the "similar threads" box and see if I don't learn something.
    Last edited by flak4321; 10-18-2010 at 04:39 PM.