Thread: RSI In Gaming?

Default RSI In Gaming?

I am honestly wondering how it is possible that top players don't get really really bad RSI. Most pros have a 150-220 range of apm and it was even higher in bw so how do you avoid getting RSI? I mean you are doing 2 to 4 actions per second that can't be good on the hands.

Default Re: RSI In Gaming?

I have low APM but its just like playing an instrument or anything really.. The more you do it, the more muscle memory you develop and it isnt too bad. Your APM builds so gradually that it feels natural usually at all times.

I remember moving my mouse speed up slowly week by week to get it to an appropriate speed for SC2 afew months ago, the first week it was like hell, but now I cant even tell and I actually think its kinda slow, might move up again.

But really, its just like musicians, take example metal guitarists, they can do 2-3 hours worth of sets playing riffs at 200+ BPM in 16th notes (roughly moving your hand for each stroke.. 800 times a minute??) and not get tired. Its all about muscle memory..

Even people that types all the time at fast speed has it, but maybe the fact that you use only one hand on the keyboard and the other on the mouse helps. I think it's the forced position of the hands what causes it.

I dunno if I have RSI, but I cant play more than 1-2 games before my hands start to hurt. After 1 long nexus word wars game my hands hurt too =[

Perhaps stretching and proper positioning helps them, or maybe they endure it. I have pretty good posture and all, but I dont stretch so maybe thats why it hurts for me.

Your source for sound, logical and reasonable responses.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

I'd say that's just muscle cramping. I get cramp pains like a bitch during those two hour in-class essays that my History teachers are so damn fond of.

I don't think that's the same thing as RSI.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyze View Post
    I have low APM but its just like playing an instrument or anything really.. The more you do it, the more muscle memory you develop and it isnt too bad. Your APM builds so gradually that it feels natural usually at all times.

I remember moving my mouse speed up slowly week by week to get it to an appropriate speed for SC2 afew months ago, the first week it was like hell, but now I cant even tell and I actually think its kinda slow, might move up again.

But really, its just like musicians, take example metal guitarists, they can do 2-3 hours worth of sets playing riffs at 200+ BPM in 16th notes (roughly moving your hand for each stroke.. 800 times a minute??) and not get tired. Its all about muscle memory..
    This is very true. I started off with like 8 APM and now I can queue up stuff and build things without looking at the keyboard and my APM is anywhere from 40 to 100.