Thread: A Brief Introduction to Game Theory

Default A Brief Introduction to Game Theory

Hi guys. I've decided to share this with you guys. It's a brief introduction to the mathematic field of game thoery using StarCraft concepts and strategies.

http://finalascension.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=337
    Hey guys I want you all to know that my team is playing/did great this weekend so I am going to go ahead and make it my status because I know you all care and want to know my opinion on it.
    -sports fan/douchebag

Visit my blog!
    http://alejandrolc.com/

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Re: A Brief Introduction to Game Theory

This look interesting, but huge. I'll read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    This look interesting, but huge. I'll read it.
    Yea I know but I'm hoping it's worth it. In any case let me know what you think.
    Hey guys I want you all to know that my team is playing/did great this weekend so I am going to go ahead and make it my status because I know you all care and want to know my opinion on it.
    -sports fan/douchebag

Visit my blog!
    http://alejandrolc.com/

Oh game theory I love this stuff I will be interested in what you have to say. I have used it a bit with artificial intelligence.

i shall have a look at this..

i was actualy contemplating writing something up about this, since im currently educating myself on some game theory in the way of economics.. and its so clearly applicable to a competitive RTS.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

Ok......so he applied it to race selection and initial builds. Not quite sure i agree with his payoff numbers. Like for greed game. In TvT one player will have 2 expos while the other one will have 0. Not sure I agree/understand this reasoning. Sort of implies that one player is innately better than the other.

I think it would have been more interesting to investigate game theory in the area of choosing what units to make. Race selection is all fine and good but it's a one stage game. Unit selection (a.k.a. unit mix) is much more interesting. A multi stage game based on when you get scouted out, when you scout him out, his unit mix, etc. E.g. choosing to go banshees, have cloak, zerg player didn't scout it, still at hatch tech, less than 2 queens per banshee = win/cripple zerg player. This is what most of us use it for. E.g. faking a certain tech to get him to invest heavily in certain units and you make the counter units. A game purely based on incomplete information and maintaining that edge of knowing more than the other player. Game tree is gigantic though.:P Could shorten it down to simply scouting out the other player, length of scouting in his base. Information does wins battles, if you get it early enough.
    Last edited by Sarov; 10-01-2010 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Double post.

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/263528/1/JHammer/

For people of the opinion "I completely will never pay for anything" but still wanting to watch GSL VODs....PM me. (Hint: Sharing is caring)

If you're making an account just to PM me.....don't waste your time.