View Poll Results: Which Options would you like to see in the NA/EU Showmatch (select all that apply)

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Group Stages:Best records play in smaller tournament (ie IEM or KOTB)

9 52.94%
  • One big double elimination tournament (ie MLG)

7 41.18%
  • Matches split evenly between NA and EU Server

11 64.71%
  • All matches on NA Server

2 11.76%
  • All matches on EU Server

4 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NA vs EU Showdown: The Preparation Begins

Default Re: NA vs EU Showdown: The Preparation Begins

Quote Originally Posted by dejai View Post
    I can organise 64 players weekly for a tournament easily. An 8v8 is not difficult in the slightest to organise. All we need to do is host a qualification round in both nations and the top 8 are selected. I know that EU has more than 8 diamonds lurking around the forums. It wouldn't be hard to get it casted we have 3 casters who are part of SC:L. I can understand the EU disadvantage but we don't have to exclude it to just SC:L participants. Perhaps open it up to TL if you cannot fill numbers. (It doesn't all have to be done on a single day either).
    Quote Originally Posted by Todie View Post
    im with hammy on this; is this supposed to be an SCL community event or just some random "some NA palyers vs some EU players" ?

. im not big on tournament formats, but i like the scale of what hammy is suggesting. its easily grasped and IMO it fits our purposes; to settle this region grudge up close and personal...
    Increasing roster size, diluting it, including non-scl players, spreading it over weeks....
    I'm sorry to say my interest will be the first to slip. I'm bored with brackets and pools. This is only exciting to me because it's a showmatch format, not an old tournament format. Proleague, winners league, clan wars etc... are friggin fun.

I think we're just talking about very different things Dejai.

To me, this should be settled quickly, on ONE guest pass.
    One day, four players from each server (preferably selected in a way that does require too many games to be played by each, this is about skill, not availability) and 12 games total in the showmatch. Then it can be cast live on the observer over the course of a week max.

I know that EU has more than 8 diamonds lurking around the forums.
    You know diamond doesn't mean anything. Look at the scores on the SCL division.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
    I think we're just talking about very different things Dejai.

To me, this should be settled quickly, on ONE guest pass.
    One day, four players from each server (preferably selected in a way that does require too many games to be played by each, this is about skill, not availability) and 12 games total in the showmatch. Then it can be cast live on the observer over the course of a week max.

You know diamond doesn't mean anything. Look at the scores on the SCL division.
    I guess this would be the best solution for our first showmatch. Just 4 players from each server. And I totally agree with Hammy and Todie that it should be SCL members only.
    We can always try to host bigger event after we try this out Dejai, after we find out how big of a PITA this showmatch going to be.
    We just need to figure out how to pair/match players from each team.

I am ok with 4 from eu 4 from na (1v1 matches) but BO1 will promote cheesy play for sure. In terms of SC:L only I am indifferent since anyone can sign up for SC:L it is just a formality.
    Last edited by dejai; 09-29-2010 at 03:57 AM.

I agree, that's why I suggested going for winners league format AND giving everyone two chances so you don't get knocked out by a canon rush and not get a chance to represent your server. This way there's a bit more back and forth and it'll be more entertaining to watch hopefully.
    It's not ideal though. In fact, it's a pretty confusing system. Feedback or ideas to make it more smooth would be good (or complaints, reasons it sucks etc...).

I think the easiest way to win your way to represent your tournament would be a "group stage" round one your own server. The NA people would all play on NA and the top 4 would be able to go into the main tournament. If there is only 4 people interested, then obviously they can just go play for their server. The group stages can just be bo3 and spread out over a week. Everyone should be able to find the time to play at most 3 other people in a weeks time. Since its bo3 and all on one server, time does not matter to be honest since it is just a way to get to the main NA/EU finals.

I definitely agree that this should be SC:L only, if only just because this idea would not be here if not for these forums. It would not be as fun if you all go get someone like MorroW and we try to get someone like HuK. And we can just put the arbitrary restriction of "must have posted x number of times" like was done with the ranking system.

Now I am beginning to agree with Zabi, a proleague does seem to be the best way to settle this. A proleague lets everybody play, which makes it more fun for everyone, and we can make the first 4 matches bo3 as well so there will be less chance for cheese to work. We can just make the drawings completely random for who vs who in the first 4 matches to make it 100% fair. The server issue can be solved exactly the same way, flip a coin for which server hosts first and just rotate back and forth. If EU wins flip they host 1st and 3rd and NA host 2nd and 4th. We can have a separate coin flip for the ace match for who hosts that. By doing it this way there will be at most 11 matches on any one guess pass account, and that is only if we make the ace match a bo5 and all games go to the last match. If we let everyone know who NEEDS to download an extra client before the tournament there wont be any weirdness and everyone participating will be prepared for it. By letting everyone know who will host the ace match, either the team that will be the guests can either all download the EU client or they can just pick the person they want to represent them at the end and just have that one person download the other client.

So far the most agreed on thing is it should be 4v4 to make it small for this time. Everyone also seems to agree that hosting some matches on each server IS the best way as well. So all we need to agree on now is:

1)how to get to the final 4 from each server
    2)the format to play in the finals
    3)how to choose who plays who in the finals
    4)how to choose which server hosts which games that work best for the finals' format
    5)map pool (way further down the road though)
    6)how to console EU when they lose

On a side note Hammy, why is choosing who plays who completely randomly the most horrible idea ever? Actually choosing each match is a really bad idea. If the players are random, or seeded from the "server only group stages" then the finals matches are what they should be, instead of someone getting to choose who they play. If you are worried about the best from one server playing the worst from another, that is what it should be anyway. The best player earned the right to play someone "easier" to get points for his team. The only way you can choose who plays who is if the number 1 plays the number 1 and so on. But, with everything else it is still up for debate. Let us continue.
    I realize that I change my signature often. All I can say to that is: SO??? HAI FIVE!! (*・∀・)/♡\(・∀・*)

If you like anyone's post, be sure to give them additional rep.

Quote Originally Posted by silencbank View Post
    I think the easiest way to win your way to represent your tournament would be a "group stage" round one your own server.
    That's what I'm going to do, and I have shared my ideas and future plans with Hammy regarding the qualifiers.

I definitely agree that this should be SC:L only, if only just because this idea would not be here if not for these forums. And we can just put the arbitrary restriction of "must have posted x number of times" like was done with the ranking system.
    Btw, at your NA Weekly Warriors club do you have people that frequently join in but not members of SCL community yet? If there are such, what do you think, should be their rewarded for their dedication and allowed to participate in this kind of qualifiers?

1)how to get to the final 4 from each server
    Group stages.

I guess random pairing and Bo3

4)how to choose which server hosts which games that work best for the finals' format
    evenly divide games between servers and flip coins who gets to play on which server.

For instance, LT then losers pick, or players flip a coin and then remove the maps one by one until one map remains, then losers pick.

6)how to console EU when they lose
    Oh cut this kindergarten crap for F sake. Why do NA players like to trash talk that much? It's getting pretty annoying even for a tolerant, calm, friendly and patient person like me.

On a side note Hammy, why is choosing who plays who completely randomly the most horrible idea ever? Actually choosing each match is a really bad idea. If the players are random, or seeded from the "server only group stages" then the finals matches are what they should be, instead of someone getting to choose who they play. If you are worried about the best from one server playing the worst from another, that is what it should be anyway. The best player earned the right to play someone "easier" to get points for his team. The only way you can choose who plays who is if the number 1 plays the number 1 and so on. But, with everything else it is still up for debate. Let us continue.
    Not the most horrible idea ever, but I think it's anticlimactic. I've always prefered winner's league format to standard proleague tbh.

I think you misunderstood what I was suggesting though. I was suggesting that each team decide who to put up as the first player, and then the loser decides.

This remains fair (just like when picking maps for example) and also makes things more exciting.

However, the downside to this system is that BO1 isn't the best format (that's the proleague's weakness). To counteract this issue, I suggested a "two lives" system.

If regular proleague format is what people want, gogo, it works and it's what everyone does. I'd be fine with that. But I'm suggesting a alternate system which brings a bit of spice. The drawback is that it adds some complexity.

What finals? The acematch you mean?
    Each team picks its ace before the match begins. If 2/2, they play.

Unnecessary complication. Make the first showdown on NA server, and the next'll be in two months on the EU servers.
    Splitting the whole thing sounds like a huge mess, and is absolutely unnecessary if we consider lag is acceptable to begin with.

If proleague format, everything is pre-established before you randomize the players. Take 5 obvious maps (for example: LT, steppes, caverns, scrapstation, metal) and randomize the players on them.

If winner's league format, loser picks.

Yes, there are definitely people who show up for either the podcasts or the tournament. But, no, that type of thing is different from this type of showmatch. Those are more leaning towards a different type of audience than the people who are on here. Im not saying one is better than the other, but this idea was created here so let this happen here alone. I don't really wanna reward someone who has no clue who SC:L is in a tournament just that most of us really just want for all of us.

If you really think that any time I say some trash talking thing that it is more than just some way to add a different element to this idea then you are wrong. I don't know about you, but I would think any person who is reading this as just "a friendly few matches between chums" would find this tournament boring as hell. But if there is mutual trash talking the idea gets hyped up, people are interested and want to see it happen. Things like this are so much more fun to those who are just watching from the outside when there is drama. If its just 4 people playing against 4 people its not as interesting because that stuff happens all the time anyway.

Yes this is a match between the NA/EU servers, but other than bragging rights there is no point to doing this. So if this is just really for fun, why not make it as fun as possible for the viewers of the replays or the vods if people cast them. As someone who helped think of the idea many moons ago, I do not see why you would NOT want some hype to happen. Hype causes people to want to help for future showmatches, hype wants people to join SC:L to join your Fight Club, hype does a lot in making this more fun for all involved. There is no reason to take offense to any of the shit talk that is happening because it really means nothing. If you wanna take the high ground and take the "we will settle this on the battlefield" approach that works too. No matter what anyone says, if you treat this thing as just for fun it doesn't matter what anyone else says. And if any EU person starts trashing the NA server I wont take it personally, even if they are saying it seriously. TLDR; just chillax man, its all in good fun.

In the format you are suggesting Hammy, completely random selection WOULD be stupid. If that is the context you were talking about I completely agree. I do think that winners league would be interesting but like I was just saying about putting on a show, having the possibilty of any one person wiping out the entire other team just sounds boring as all hell. And sure it would be awe inspiring to watch 1 person destroy an entire server single handedly, but I also want the players to have fun as well. I can tell you from personal experience that sitting around for way too long waiting for a chance to play or a chance to watch a game is not all that fun.

What I mean about the "finals" is just the 4v4 thing...aka the actual NA/EU part of it, the final 8. And to the proposed way of hosting on the servers is interesting and something that I did not even think about. I was just thinking about the first tournament and not any after tournaments. So yes, if one tournament is on NA and the next is on EU and it switches back and forth that really is the same thing and much more simplistic to plan around. And the same goes for the maps, but I am not thinking of just a simple 1 game 1v1 and then go to the next 1v1 pair. Im thinking every match should be a bo3 because of the same reason you want a 2 loss and out format, if the "better" player gets cheesed they have more games to overcome it. In most cases the more chances the better player has to win, chances are they will win. Either way has its pros and cons and all we can do is keep letting the people talk about what they want. We are getting closer people, it is almost time to begin the showmatch.
    I realize that I change my signature often. All I can say to that is: SO??? HAI FIVE!! (*・∀・)/♡\(・∀・*)

What I mean about the "finals" is just the 4v4 thing...aka the actual NA/EU part of it, the final 8.
    Bleh... that won't be a concern of mine if a make the team. Sorry to be a downer, but 4v4 sucks... :/

No you are right...for this type of thing...4v4 does suck. So when I say 4v4 I really mean 1v1 x4.