Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are some abilities you would like to see on SC2 heroes?

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default What are some abilities you would like to see on SC2 heroes?

Just post ideas of what you think would be cool abilities for Heroes in SC2, because honestly in my experience, heroes in SC1 were units that I kept at the back of my base because a few control groupd of other units were far superior.

Also, I don't claim credit for all these ideas, I'm just posting ideas that I like.

Raynor:

- Although a bit Warcraftish, I personally think (and am sure other people do as well) that a passive aura would be fantastic for his game unit. He's supposed to be a pretty good leader after all right? If he can't be super like ghosts or Protoss, then give him a leadership Aura of some sort.

Tosh (or any other hero ghost):

- I think it'd be cool to give his game unit the ability to traverse cliffs, using his psionic capabilities he'd just jump them.

- Infrared vision: Allows the unit to see other units in the fog of war, sort of like the radar/sensor (I don't know which it is now) tower, except mobile and doesn't reveal himself. Also, for an added bonus, allow the ghost to identify what the units are through the general figure of the unit (in infrared style).

Findlay:

- Passively allow him to run faster than normal marines. Have a naturally longer range, and also a faster rate of fire than normal marines.

- Allow him to fire to his left/right/front while moving.

- Allow him to "superimpose" a map of the surrounding (fog of war) area and pinpoint interesting features. This is actually (in lore) a functionality in CMC combat suits and I think it would be cool for Tychus to utilise it. So say up ahead along the map is unexplored. Tychus would use this ability to box off on the map and screen points of interest such as watch towers, ramps, bridges etc. Although this is just an idea I think is cool, I'm not sure how useful it would actually be (unless you force a mission where it's necessary to use because there are too many enemies around for any scout to scout properly while staying alive). IMO It'd be cool though to have a mission where he's by himself, where this ability would really shine.

Any viking hero:

- Let him shoot his gun (or missiles) at ground targets in fighter mode

- Let him shoot his missiles at air targets in walker mode

Medivac hero:

- Heal units even when they are loaded. Can also repair units within its cargo such as tanks.

Reaper Hero:

- Allow him to jump up to 2 levels of terrain at a time

- lol, give him a shotgun instead of duel pistols. High damage per shot.

- Warhammer Assault Marine style impact landing. Since throwing units and such isn't exactly starcraft style, when he lands he could stun and damage them.

- let him fire his shotgun while moving. Basically can fire while moving.

Anyway, there are a lot more ideas, but what do you guys think would be cool abilities for heroes in SC2?
    Last edited by Pandonetho; 07-10-2009 at 02:34 AM.

Default Re: What are some abilities you would like to see on SC2 heroes?

The hero Carrier shall be a Supercarrier -- it should be able to hold twice as many interceptors and should also have a version of the warp ray's weapon that is twice as powerful. The default attack mode causes both groups of interceptors to attack the same target, but each group of interceptors will also have their own attack buttons so they can attack separate targets simultaneously. The ray weapon will have its own little attack button as well, so the Supercarrier could effectively attack three targets at the same time.

The hero BC should have twice as many laser cannons, which can be split into two groups in order to attack separate targets. It should also have all three abilities available to it, but with cheaper casting costs.

It looks like you're assuming there should only be one hero for each unit type. That would suck. Heroes should be unique, but they shouldn't have every single spell or ability you can imagine for them, otherwise all of the heroes would be the same, and that's not cool. I definitely agree that heroes should be much more powerful though, and mixing them into your army should be totally worth the risk of losing them (hence losing the mission). I do think auras and stuff are a good idea though. The more stuff we have in the editor the better anyways, and although I didn't like WC3 multiplayer because of heroes, I think it made absolutely awesome campaigns and UMS maps.

One Zerg hero should definitely be the Omegalisk.

Also, in the previous instalment any unit not in multiplayer was a hero. I'd like to change that so that only named heroes are stuck in that category, other units ought to get put in a misc. unit folder, likewise for buildings.
    Last edited by MattII; 07-10-2009 at 05:13 AM.

In a Warcraft III using StarCraft units campaign, one of the marines had a special ability; he would target his grenade launcher on one unit, and when he used the ability the two closest marines would also fire on his target.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

They would also fire with a grenade launcher? Or with their regular attack? If it's the latter that's kind of pointless because you could just micro them to focus fire right?
    The idea is cool though, it's basically a direct damage spell that gains more and more damage the more units you've got around. I'd also like to see something similar like a marine hero that would have a spell that, when activated, made all the marines around him throw grenades in a certain direction (slightly random throws, but it would basically result in a aoe in a general direction). Again, making him an "army oriented" hero.

Wouldn't some of the heroes not actually be specific units at all but kind of their own unit if you know what I mean....

one of the terran heroes such as the ghost hero or raynor should have an ability called orbital bombardment. basically, a bunch of modified hunter seekers fall from the sky, but the missiles fragment in midair, and hundreds of little bomblets rain down on a large area. (also does friendly damage)

lol, if any "aura" in singleplayer, PLZ NO VISUALs loll. I don't mind a "hidden" buff for near units, but no "magical" feel from it lol.

Also for Findlay, letme add something.

Findlay: Stimpack that doesn't cost any hp. Findlay is strong enough to just take the good effects out of it

Zerathul: some passive abilities like dodge ALOT, like a ninja The charge ability from the zealots. Blink? Make Zerathul just coool... They got time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisso View Post
    lol, if any "aura" in singleplayer, PLZ NO VISUALs loll. I don't mind a "hidden" buff for near units, but no "magical" feel from it lol.
    Enthusiastically seconded.