Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one else always getting mirror match ups?

Deane's Avatar Junior Member

Default Any one else always getting mirror match ups?

The last 15 games I played was a mirror match up, first about 10 games as protoss I faced protoss opponents, now I switched to terran the only opponents I get are terrans...

Any one else having this problem?

Siraz's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: Any one else always getting mirror match ups?

I have been getting alot of ZvZ lately. However, i think this is mostly my bad luck.

Deane's Avatar Junior Member

Well it could be bad luck but the chances are very small I still get mirror match up even after switching races :S I only have had mirror match ups the last 15-18 games :S

Briggs's Avatar Junior Member

I prefer to get the hard match-ups. Like for me ZvP is my worst match-up, 2 gate rush just seems to catch me off guard every time. But I'm beginning to get the timing down and counter attack pretty well.

ZvZ is something I am getting a lot more often now, but it's not a hard match for me to win.

Life is NOT a privilege, it is NOT a right, it is a pleasure,..Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Briggs View Post
    I prefer to get the hard match-ups. Like for me ZvP is my worst match-up, 2 gate rush just seems to catch me off guard every time. But I'm beginning to get the timing down and counter attack pretty well.

ZvZ is something I am getting a lot more often now, but it's not a hard match for me to win.
    I keep getting ZvZ, and I lose alot lol, i think im not used to it but, Z are playing so cheezy. Everytime I play vs Zerg, it's on a HUGE map and they just go turtling with spine crawlers then rush Muta. It makes very boring games.

Alterran's Avatar Junior Member

Mirror matchups are so special compared to the other matchups, i dont like it

Quote Originally Posted by Deane View Post
    The last 15 games I played was a mirror match up, first about 10 games as protoss I faced protoss opponents, now I switched to terran the only opponents I get are terrans...

Any one else having this problem?
    I seem to have the same problem but I'd think it's bad luck
    TvT games are awfully exciting though I must admit

Wait you means you get 18 mirror matchups IN A ROW? even after switching race? Thats not just luck guys >.>
    Click or else your a egg killer. Do you want to be a baby killer O.o?

nonick's Avatar Junior Member

play random!

problem solved

Wall of text warning! And an apology if my tone is a little overanalytical. It's not intended.

Quote Originally Posted by nonick View Post
    play random!

problem solved
    Not really. The random race chooser thingy is buggy as well. I've only been playing against the custom AI, but with all players set to random, I am getting very few Zergs (1 z in 9 1v1s, 2 in 4 2v2s), a fair number of mirror matches (1 PvP, 2 Tvt in 13 games), and a lot of the time I'm playing as terran (8t, 3p, 2z). I'm not bugging out as the number of games is too small to really make a judgement. Note: I've only been playing since Thursday last week and have dominated my time w/ single player.

This said, I am not surprised the match maker has a similar flaw. Something else to note/consider: what is the racial breakdown of your Sc2 league and/or region? For instance, if NA bronze is mostly Terran and Toss w/ few zergs, and you choose Terran or toss as your race, you will run into mirror matches w/ a frequency consistent w/ the prevailing racial breakdown percentages. Correction/clarification: The overall % chance of mirror matches will reflect close to the ideal (see below), but the occurrence of TvT, PvP, ZvZ individually will reflect the population breakdown.

Playing random, as Nonick mentioned, will reduce this percentage, but only to an ideal minimum percentage. This ideal is 1 in each 3 games should be a mirror. (33.33% chance of you being race X times 33.33% chance of your 1v1 opponent being race X times the number of races, 3.)

Another way to look at it is to breakdown the matchups and count how many there are:

TvT
    Pvp
    ZvZ
    ZvP
    PvZ
    ZvT
    TvZ
    TvP
    PvT

9 matchups possible, 3 of them mirrors yields 3/9 = 33.33%. Some streaks of particular matchups are to be expected, but 15-18 mirror matches is very unusual, although possible. Note: I did a calculation for 18 straight mirrors and the figure is incredibly small, going into the hundred-millionths of a percent chance. This should happen, therefore, to one or two players overall in the space of any calendar year. .33 to the 18th power is a very small number. (0.00000000215, approximately.)

Given that the matchmaker and the randomizer both seem flawed, the actual percentage is undoubtedly skewed accordingly. Some skewing is expected because no artifical randomizer can create truly random results, although the current computer approximations are very good. (Sidenote: this is something I learned in my undergrad C++ classes in preparation for a project wherein we had to create our own random number generator.)

Question for the OP: How many mirror matches did you have prior to this string? I fit is not many, you may be experiencing the randomizer/matchmaker balancing your matchup averages. My advice would be to bear with it.
    Last edited by flak4321; 09-10-2010 at 03:40 PM.
    I am a master tactician. It is my execution that keeps getting me killed.