Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epic PvZ Build

Andromines's Avatar Junior Member

Default Epic PvZ Build

For all you Protoss having trouble with the Swarm as of late.
    I did not create this build, I found it here:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=149170

It counters speedling/muta quite well and forces the Zerg to play YOUR game instead of the other way around.
    It begins with 2 gate pressure to force the zerg into roaches. From there you build a stargate and get phoenix for scouting/overlord harass. Since your stargate will go up before the spire, mutas are not an option. The Zerg will get hydras once he sees your phoenix. From there, you build into Dark Templar, expand, and get High Templar. High Templar can Feedback Overseers to 1 shot them, allowing your DTs to wreak havok. Combine that with Chargelots/Stalkers, a healthy dose of phoenix and storm, and DTs (to kill ultras), and the game is yours. I have tried this build myself and it works wonderfully. Check out the OP for more detail and replays, but know that Protoss has an option to defeat mutalisks!

Thoughts?

Default Re: Epic PvZ Build

But what if the other player goes corrupuptors + muta, that rapes phoenixes. And if he uses his energy ond the overseers u will have trouble killing it.

But I really like the strat and I'm gonna try it out tomorrow ^^

Thnx for the post!
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    - Albert Einstein

any strat that focuses on getting HT and DT are instantly given badass status

Andromines's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by limE View Post
    But what if the other player goes corrupuptors + muta, that rapes phoenixes. And if he uses his energy ond the overseers u will have trouble killing it.

But I really like the strat and I'm gonna try it out tomorrow ^^

Thnx for the post!
    Corruptors:
    I really don't think Corruptors are a viable option in this scenario. First of all, you only get like 5 phoenix to snipe overseers, and once those phoenix die the corruptors are useless since you don't have colossus. Also, corruptor/muta is very gas heavy and this build denies any kind of 14/16 fast expand.

Overseer Energy:
    This can be a problem. Feedback will usually only work on the first one, and after that you need to rely on your phoenixes. However, with chargelots, storm, and DTs up in his face he can't really focus his hydras on killing phoenixes and they should have free reign to kill overseers.

Even by going a 2-gate build with a cyber core around 30 you force him to build zerglings. At this point in a replay I was 10 workers ahead of him, so you just have to keep him on his back foot and keep up the pressure for the rest of the game, denying expansions, sniping overlords, etc. Just make sure you can survive the counter-push after your 2gate opening, since if he's any good he'll make use of the army you forced him to build.

Why does 2 gate pressure force him into roaches? I respond with speedlings and blings if necessary... (to the 2gate pressure, once he has enough sentries blings have a harder time).

And even then, hydra aren't the only response to phoenii. I usually open straight with infestors since that works perfectly against phenii harass, amongst many other things, including DT (which happens to be the follow-up you suggest).

Going for stargate and DT/HT tech means that you won't be able to get that robo, which means no observers. That leaves you with cannoning to save your expansions from destruction by burrow (IT pops, stuff like that).

I think it's a great build though, especially since it's something people aren't too used to yet. Novelty is always the most fun route when laddering, and is really effective when everyone is used to seeing the same old stuff all the time.
    I'd love to play (against) this build, sounds like tons of fun.

Duren's build is insane in PvZ though. I haven't analyzed the replays yet, but Todie and I have been hitting a brick wall when trying to fend off his 3gate robo or 3gate+1 attacks. Crazy stuff.

spychi's Avatar SC:L Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
    Going for stargate and DT/HT tech means that you won't be able to get that robo, which means no observers. That leaves you with cannoning to save your expansions from destruction by burrow (IT pops, stuff like that).

i think i would have covered that up with ease

Mass Effect Universe Fan, I support Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for Game of the year award! ME2 still is being the best rated game this year! Keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by spychi View Post
    i think i would have covered that up with ease
    No idea what you mean ; )
    That you're not worried about having to cannon at each base around minerals?

If so, well fair enough, but it might take more than one cannon to fend those off. Might not be a big deal, but it's an extra pain to consider.

McTwist's Avatar Junior Member

Though I find this to be a very strict build due to the gas intensity, and therefore flounder-ish if they get in the way of your expand, it's always a good idea to keep your enemy on their heels. Playing proactive and not reactive is key, especially when you want to cut down muta numbers.

I myself love phoenixes, so I'm inclined to try this build myself and see how it works. I may fit a robo in for warp prism drops w/ HTs and DTs for an extra kick though. If your oppenent utilizes Nydus Worms well (as all Zerg should), the extra mobility of warp prisms along w/ the mobility of the phoenix is a nice backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
    No idea what you mean ; )
    That you're not worried about having to cannon at each base around minerals?

If so, well fair enough, but it might take more than one cannon to fend those off. Might not be a big deal, but it's an extra pain to consider.
    see me vs Lesh from last nigh
    Duren was complaining I made up too much cans for defence and wasted my money, but that came from the guy who made Carriers

Mass Effect Universe Fan, I support Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for Game of the year award! ME2 still is being the best rated game this year! Keep it up

even though it's risky it works
    proof
    i didn't make HT's though