Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burrowed Roaches Rush?

Question Burrowed Roaches Rush?

Heya guys,

I joined this forum to ask some advice. i'm not a very good player on SC, but I just came up with a basic idea for a strategy. I cant test it properly because of.. well.. my lack of skills xD

essentially the idea is to start with your general fast roaches build. 14 pool 18 roach warren. I was just thinking what if you were to lings on the pool for defence, moving into roaches. you'd get your gas waaay early and start stockpiling it, start the Lair before the queen, and get Burrow. use the stockpiled gas on the evolution that allows Roaches to move while burrowed (forgot the name).

all the time massing roaches and as soon as the upgrades land, burrow them and bypass the awaiting force at his choke, pop up into his mineral line.

obviously, with all the overlords, this is gonna suck vs Zerg, but with a terran who doesn't have the OB, or a gating protoss, it might be worth a try?

if anyone could test this and tell me the results i'd be really grateful.

Bacchius

Default Re: Burrowed Roaches Rush?

I died to this once in Beta.

Its probably most viable against Terran who will have to waste their scans. The problem is, Terran expect Zerg to go Muta, so they build Turrets anyway, which are obviously detectors.

very true.. and with a starting force you'll never have enough to focus down the turrets.. so, what about P? they usually delay the robo long enough to stop them getting the observer right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchius View Post
    very true.. and with a starting force you'll never have enough to focus down the turrets.. so, what about P? they usually delay the robo long enough to stop them getting the observer right?
    I think its map dependent vs P. On Blistering Sands for example, its not uncommon for P to Zealot rush the Zerg, fully block off their choke, and put up cannons behind to specifically kill Roaches. Then they'll open their rocks as their new main exit.

I think if you can scout a late Robo, you might be able to pull it off. The last thing you'll want to do is give him reason to get Robo or Forge. Mutas promote cannons, and mass Zergling promotes Colossus.

yeah, so all in all its not worth perfecting. I mean, it wont be used enough. you need the right map, right opponent and he needs to have a strat that allows you to exploit this. and then pull it off.

it would be cool though..

maybe a nice trick to take out some expansions stealthily, but definitively not suitable enough to get a build order for then.

horror's Avatar Junior Member

if you had support, you could burrow roaches past a choke point with a zealot. Then it doesn't matter how many cannons the opponent has at the choke, because you'll be long gone into his mineral line by then.
    The biggest problem I see, though, is how you'll defend against a counter-attack if the build fails, and what transition you could make midgame.

infernal's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    I died to this once in Beta.

Its probably most viable against Terran who will have to waste their scans. The problem is, Terran expect Zerg to go Muta, so they build Turrets anyway, which are obviously detectors.
    me too haven't really seen it since and back then roach had wacko hp regeneration. but it might still work under certain conditions yes and the harass element can be very good if he don't have mobile observers or scan
    The INFERNALelf is coming for ya

no prisoners will be taken.

char code 330

get your own starcraft 2 signature at sc2sig.com

MajinX's Avatar Junior Member

it seems way too much like an all in tactic, if u fail or they do have detectors, u will be slow in tech due to all ur resources thrown into burrow, roach upgrades and u sac'in ur queen which really slows down ur production and econ. And with zerg who has a weak early game defense, u will surely lose if u fail in this attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchius View Post

obviously, with all the overlords, this is gonna suck vs Zerg, but with a terran who doesn't have the OB, or a gating protoss, it might be worth a try?
    From this quote, it sounds like you may be lacking a crucial bit of information. Overlords are not detectors. They have to be morphed into overseers to grant detection.

It is actually quite common to not have detection as zerg. In actuality, this strat might be most effective vs. zerg, who cannot block off their chokes.

A lot of times I wonder if it is worth it to get burrow-move, since infestors are so close on the tech tree to burrow and tunneling claws.

Quote Originally Posted by infernal View Post
    me too haven't really seen it since and back then roach had wacko hp regeneration. but it might still work under certain conditions yes and the harass element can be very good if he don't have mobile observers or scan
    You didn't see this since Beta!?!?
    http://sc2casts.com/cast603-VAxunyoG...tarcraft-Match Played few days ago, JulyZerg crushed Protoss with that start. Not that Protoss was great, but still, it is pretty much good strategy, even with Detectors, Roaches with Burrow can travel under Force Fields, which makes it great!
    "Living for the Swarm!"