Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Rework the Viking

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    157

    Default Rework the Viking

    I know Blizzard has stated they won't make any major changes till HotS, but I'm a Starcraft nerd dammit and I'm going to propose major changes whether they will be worked in there or not!

    So, the Viking. I love them. I loved them even more before they nerfed the ground attack. Now they're kind of weak against ground, rather than mediocre/decent.

    But I'm not here to talk about ground, I'm here to talk about air today.

    See, there's something wrong with the Viking. It has an insane attack against air, but more importantly insane range. Vikings can snipe units like no tomorrow. They are, however, excruciatingly slow and have implausibly little sight for a flying unit. Here's the catch: it makes them boring and frustrating.

    A situation you'll often face when fighting carriers, is that, once you are in battle with the carriers with your main force, you can flank perfectly with your Vikings, utilising their superior range. But this is more or less all they can do against carriers: they can't snipe with good kiting, because their sight doesn't allow. A trick is to use scans, but this only goes so far.

    Their slow speed generally makes them poor kiters, and kiting is what anti-air combat should be all about - it's where people can have skillz dat killz. Right now all they are good for is scouting for sight and then sniping with their insane range, saying 'HAHA'. That and landing to wreak havoc amongst probes. Screw probes.

    So there are two solutions. Either you can boost their sight and retain their range, giving them some wiggling room. Perhaps their speed can be decreased even more, or their attack speed or damage.

    Or you can make them faster, so their short sight is compensated for because they can duck in and out of fights faster.

    Right now, even though I don't feel Vikings are a bad unit, they don't lead to exciting play, so let's give them a little shine.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Rework the Viking

    They have the same sight range as every other unit, its just that their attack range is huge. They have the same attack range as an upgraded colossus.

    I mean, by your argument the siege tank should have greater sight range because their attack range is actually greater than any single units sight (which is why you usually have some air units to extend the range)

    Your source for sound, logical and reasonable responses.


  3. #3
    The_Blade's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,241

    Default Re: Rework the Viking

    There's an aspect of the game called micro and if the game did everything on automatic it would be pretty boring.

    Just as the siege tank can't spot units over all of it's range, the viking can't spot all the guys at its range. Yea you have to use a spotter to snipe, but this reduction in sight keeps vikings from being completely OP.

    Slow? The Viking has a descent speed and it may kite battlecruisers, slow void rays and a pack of corruptors, but it must fall down to direct combat against mutalisks and fenix. Fenix have a lower firepower than the Viking, not to mention range. Direct combat is the only way a group of fenix could stand a chance against a group of vikings. Mutalisks also counter vikings without the proper micro. Micro against mutas is pretty deadly. If you move your harmed Vikings out of the range of mutalisks, these Vikings will keep firing on the mutas. You don't need to kite carriers, just macro up and build more Vikings.

    Unit limitations are created for the sake of balance and not for reality purposes.

  4. #4
    Sarov's Avatar The Enforcer
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: Rework the Viking

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Blade View Post
    Slow? The Viking has a descent speed and it may kite battlecruisers, slow void rays and a pack of corruptors, but it must fall down to direct combat against mutalisks and fenix. Fenix have a lower firepower than the Viking, not to mention range.
    Fenix is... alive? He can fly now? I'm pretty sure he died in Brood War but...

    Lol. All jokes aside, it's "phoenix".

  5. #5
    McTwist's Avatar Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Rework the Viking

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarov View Post
    Fenix is... alive? He can fly now? I'm pretty sure he died in Brood War but...

    Lol. All jokes aside, it's "phoenix".
    No, Fenix isn't dead. He just went home.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Rework the Viking

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Blade View Post
    the viking can't spot all the guys at its range.
    Attack range 9, sight range 10?

    10 seems to be standard for non-massive units.

  7. #7
    The_Blade's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,241

    Default Re: Rework the Viking

    Quote Originally Posted by MulletBen View Post
    Attack range 9, sight range 10?

    10 seems to be standard for non-massive units.
    Yea that's true, I'm still living in campaign where it has an insane attack range when upgraded :P It has a vision of 10 in multiplayer, but everything gets close to you because their attack range is shorter. You can shoot something before it moves out of range too, so this creates an illusion that you can fire at a greater distance than allowed.

    The Phoenix is called Fénix in spanish :S

  8. #8
    McTwist's Avatar Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Rework the Viking

    I think they should just let me chronoboost it for a 20 second speed boost........ but that's just me.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Rework the Viking

    Quote Originally Posted by mctwist View Post
    i think they should just let me chronoboost it for a 20 second speed boost........ But that's just me.
    get out

  10. #10
    Sarov's Avatar The Enforcer
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: Rework the Viking

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Blade View Post
    The Phoenix is called Fénix in spanish :S
    Ah. That would explain it then. But it might be better to call it by the English name, yes?

    Quote Originally Posted by McTwist View Post
    I think they should just let me chronoboost it for a 20 second speed boost........ but that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletBen View Post
    get out
    You two make me laugh.

Similar Threads

  1. Lost Viking Help
    By DemolitionSquid in forum StarCraft Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 01:11 PM
  2. Viking mechanic question
    By Wankey in forum StarCraft Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 03:58 PM
  3. PvT Banshee+Viking
    By Hav0x in forum StarCraft Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 05:30 PM
  4. Zerg Needs Major Rework
    By sysrpl in forum StarCraft Discussion
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 03-13-2010, 11:20 PM
  5. Real Viking?
    By Rake in forum Off-Topic Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-15-2009, 12:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •