Thread: LotV: Possible thing?

Default LotV: Possible thing?

I've been thinking on the Legacy of the Void story, especially on this diplomacy thingy. Could it be possible the player is making a race against the Tal'Darim???

Think about it. At some point the Dark Voice comes in on HotS, those guys, being as fanatical to the Xel'Naga as they are, could start a campaign to bring as most Protoss as they can to their fold, either through diplomacy or force.

I've got this sudden thing during that mission in WoL, in the ruined Xel'Naga ship/platform, which you had to free those Dark Templar. Of course the only thing I wished was that the Protoss could use more their Dark Templar, but that's another story.

Anyone else got a feeling of this possibility? Or any other?
    SC II - HOTS Coming Soon... What to expect? I don't know, I'm busy playing WoL.

I failed a thousand-fold to many enemies, but won a hundred victories over the same enemy. Now he trembles in fear, knowing I am bettering at prevailing. Tremble, enemies of the Code. For I am Legionnaire and you are my enemy. Therefore, today, thou fall! - Imperator Davien Servolo III.

Default Re: LotV: Possible thing?

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCadimus View Post
    I've been thinking on the Legacy of the Void story, especially on this diplomacy thingy. Could it be possible the player is making a race against the Tal'Darim???
    Heck, you might end up working with the Tal'darim.

Think about it. At some point the Dark Voice comes in on HotS, those guys, being as fanatical to the Xel'Naga as they are, could start a campaign to bring as most Protoss as they can to their fold, either through diplomacy or force.
    I don't think they're actually fanatical about the xel'naga. Although they may think they are.

IMO, based mainly on the Aiur branch, they're followers of a corrupted branch of the xel'naga (the Dark Voice) but don't know this.

Of course, another possibility is only the Aiur branch (through Ulrezaj) followed the Dark Voice while the rest really are "purist" followers of the xel'naga. The second probably makes more sense, actually; by cutting themselves off from the Khala, the Dark Templar moved away from the original "purity of essence" that the protoss lost. (Of course, the Dark Templar also venerate the xel'naga.)

In which case, there's both "good" and "bad" Tal'darim, bad being the Aiur branch and the Guardians of the Temple of Shakuras branch. (The bad ones give up the Khala by using Sundrop.) Admittedly the Temple branch is speculation, but I think well-founded speculation.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

I think it's quite possible, just because they will want some PvP in the campaign.

It's a bit early to know for sure what will happen yet. We've already been told that we'll be directing Zeratul in LotV as we've been Raynor in WoL and will be Kerrigan in HotS. And at this point, we don't know where Zeratul is now. After leaving Raynor the memory crystal, Zeratul disappears and we don't know what happens to him from then on.

Obviously, depending on the role Zeratul plays in HotS will affect his role in LotV. If he offers assistance to Kerrigan in helping her regain her power, he may be shunned by the majority of the Protoss. If Zeratul is more secretive with his help, then it wouldn't be a factor... maybe. Raszagal, upon her death, asked Zeratul to succeed her in leading their people, and with Zeratul going into exile, Artanis stepped up and proclaimed himself the Hierarch of the Protoss. Will Zeratul take his rightful place at the head of the Protoss (and I'm sure Artanis is humble enough that he would demote himself for Zeratul), or would Zeratul come back to Shakuras and become an Executor?

My thoughts at the moment lead me to think that Zeratul will return to Shakuras, but I think he will become an Executor and be in a position of initiative rather than take full leadership. The growth concept of LotV will be Diplomacy, rather than credits or whatever the Zerg will use. Since many of the Aiurian-based Protoss from other worlds will be opposed to joining the unified Shakuras/Aiur forces, it would seem reasonable that Zeratul would work with the unified Protoss and attempt to ally with tribes of both Aiur and Dark Templar origins. (Maybe some may not be open to ally if they know you helped Kerrigan, or simply won't ally with you without your proving yourselves to them.) One of the campaign mechanics, in making your particular mission choices, could open up primarily Dark Templar warriors for your forces or the Khala-based warriors of the light.
    Last edited by Zero; 09-01-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    [CENTER]

It is impossible for us to predict story elements in LotV. We know there will be diplomacy, it will be around reuniting the Protoss, helping some tribe will anger another, etc. but nothing specific. As Zero said, we don't even know what will be of Zeratul in HotS so we can't say where will he be in LotV.

I don't think Zeratul can (or even has the right to) take Artanis' place.

From what I've read in Twilight, Zeratul should take Mohandar's place as head of the Nerazim. (In effect, he would become a Patriarch.)

However, the political situation in Brood War was ill-defined. Raszagal was the de facto leader because she led the planet the protoss were taking shelter on. For her to take orders from Zeratul would have been ridiculous in any event. Artanis and Zeratul were essentially co-military leaders, although Zeratul seemed to have a higher position (probably due to age, and because Artanis was still arrogant and rash).

What's left unexplained is why Artanis became the de facto leader. He's not even a civilian, and while he leads the famous Akilae Tribe, there are five other tribes whose leaders could have earned a spot. Selendis had effectively replaced Artanis' original position, while Mohandar has essentially taken Raszagal's place, although possibly with less authority.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Well something I would really like to see in the LotV is a campaign that works on the ideas of how Protos actually work.

Essentially in each mission you have a maximum number of Gateways/Pylons/Zealots/Dragoons/Immortals, etc. that you can warp in (because you are warping them in From somewhere).. probes would be an exception.. the Nexus builds them. (and Zealots that died could be readded to your pool for the next mission)

At the end of the mission, any units/buildings that you have are returned to your stockpile. As well as any 'addtional' ones that you get from the allies you have collected so far. (ie one ally might provide you with 4 additional new Scouts after each mission.. providing 10 when they first were liberated.)

Some Allies would provide their units.

Ideally the whole thing would be conducted on a map like Master of Orion. The various planets are either independent, or controlled by Zerg(overrunning parts of the planet), the Dominon, Hybrids, or enemy Protoss. So you go to these planets and depending on who they are controlled by at the time you get there you either 'liberate' one group there from another group, conquer them, defend them from invaders, or smuggle in something they want (which you may have to steal from somewhere else).

Each Planet 'mission' would be different depending on when you undertook it. So a planet has the massive factories to make Carriers... if you contacted them early might need you to fetch something for them... but slightly later they might need you to stop a Zerg invasion... even later it might involve pushing back Zerg... if you wait too long, all you can do is rescue them... and try to retake the planet later.
    50 energy, 5 Larva, 5 seconds

infernal's Avatar Junior Member

you got some nice ideas there krikkitone

and i also belive zeratul wont take up the total leadership of the protoss he is too much of an warrior/assasin and adventurer to do such a thing. but anyway because of his knoweldege and age he got a thing to say in any matter regarding the protoss when he wants to i belive, kinda like a veto right really.
    The INFERNALelf is coming for ya

no prisoners will be taken.

char code 330

get your own starcraft 2 signature at sc2sig.com

I think that if the whole thing revolves around diplomacy, there should be multiple possible dialogue choices, like in an RPG. That way if you play your cards right, you could eventually please nearly everyone.

I would also like to see choices about what do you do first making some difference. In WoL, you could make people wait all the time you wanted. I left the Haven mission unplayed just to see if Hanson was with me in Char. She wasn't . Hell, where was everyone else? "We won't abandon you". Oh, really?