Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys think Blizzard will introduce Zerg lore characters?

Default How do you guys think Blizzard will introduce Zerg lore characters?

New here, pondered on whether starting a brand new topic for this in the Lore or general discussion.

Do you guys think the Zerg campaign in HotS has a chance of turning out a bit stale in terms of new characters and the amount of storyline bits and pieces we are given? I mean, the Zerg are made up of one reasoning, articulate being (Kerrigan) and billions of slimy monsters with no individual personality (that can't even speak). Now that the Overmind and the Cerebrates are dead, Blizz will have a tough time introducing any sentient zerg that would act as advisors or commentators to Kerrigan's actions, like all the people aboard Hyperion do in WoL.

So this pretty much means that Kerrigan will do all the communicating and getting impressions with/from Terran and Protoss companions, and I just fear the Zerg campaign equivalent to Hyperion (perhaps the inside of a large Hive?) could turn out a bit empty and not having the same amount of info and detail and interesting bits of lore as Hyperion and all its on-board characters.

I hope I made my point clear, I think the Hyperion and all its stuff on-board contributes tremendously to the atmosphere and the amount of gameplay and I just cant imagine that in-between missions in HotS we would be forced to deal with a boring, empty Zerg Hive-enviroment that had no characters to talk to, no TV-News and funny commercials, no armory with detailed info on weapons etc...
    Last edited by StricMatic; 08-28-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Default Re: How do you guys think Blizzard will introduce Zerg lore characters?

There are many, MANY possible options how the campaign could play out. We still know nothing, so guessing is pretty pointless. Here're a few examples of how things might play out:

A) Kerrigan, no longer having a zerg mindset, might dislike the idea that the species she is solely responsible for are just stupid animals, that do whatever she tells them, so she might actually make them mutate to make them smarter and more independant. Or at least make a specific species of Zerg be smarter, like for example the new queens.

B) Considering Raynor saved her and is obviously bringing her on board the Hyperion, there is the chance that it might be her base of operations, at least for a time. Maybe she'll be given a cargo bay to turn into a mini-hive.

C) Even if she doesn't stay on the Hyperion, it's more than likely that Raynor will stay with her, even if it is in a Hive. And I doubt Horner, Swann and Stetman would just leave their boss alone there.

D) I think it's most likely that it'll be a combination of the two. Meaning, Kerrigan stays either on a Leviathan, or in a Hive, but the Hyperion is always close by, so she can communicate with the people there. Also, the queens will probably become smarter and more independant, as well.

All in all, I think there're quite e few ways things can turn up that will give us characters and even comic relief. Thing is, we can't know yet, at least not until they release SOME information about how HotS will play out.

I'm guessing that the Queens will play an active role in HoTS. We know that they've evolved considerably since the Brood war; they have a much higher level of sentience, as well as a much more 'humanoid' morphology. It is also apparent that they possess (in terms of lore) considerable psionic ability; for example, in 'Belly of the Beast', when Raynor and his crew first encounter one, she'll periodically stun them with an ability that's quite similar to Tosh's 'mind blast'.

In short; Queens are likely the new Cerebrates, and have considerable potential for dialogue, interaction, etc.

Oh, and it's been established, both in novels and past in-game cut scenes that not only are the Zerg able of intercepting and listening in on various Terran radio and subspace frequencies, but they HAVE done so on occasion.

I'm psyched for HotS, though it may be another BroodWar. As Phazon pointed out, there are already the components in place for the Zerg Swarm to take care of itself. Queens have been developed with increased intelligence and authority, which may have been Kerrigan's most recent evolution to the Swarm, since we've seen only one so far.

As for Kerrigan herself, I think she and Raynor will be on the run - from Valerian, Mengsk, even the crew of the Hyperion. It will be a major test of Raynor's allegience not only to himself, but his crew and to Sarah. She, meanwhile, will retain some of her ability to control Zerg, and will likely have to create an all-new Swarm from scratch. I can see her and Raynor asking for volunteers for infestation to control the swarm, which could lead to some interesting character developments and zerg civil wars.

Ultimately, Kerrigan will have to stamp out any and all dissension if she is to pull the Zerg from the brink and enact the Overmind's plan of freeing the Zerg from the Dark Voice.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

I would think running around and talking ot this Queen or tha Queen would get old pretty fast. I remember hearing that HotS will play out as a pseudo-RPG, with Kerrigan being the main character (obv) running around trying to regain control over the Swarm. Since she was de-infested, she's got Zerg powers but a Terran mind. I assume she'll be going back through the Dominion science facilities and science vessels like we've seen in SC1, learning more about herself from both a Zerg and Terran perspective, and how she can use that to control Zerg and prevent them from falling into the hands of the Dark Voice.
    You represent what is greatest in us all, and all our hopes go with you. EN TARO ADUN, brave Sons of Aiur!

There's also the matter of the Protoss to consider.
    Recall at the end of 'Omega' in BW, after you destroy the Protoss base:

Artanis: "Savour this victory Kerrigan; for the Protoss will never forget your treachery! We'll be watching you...."

Assuming they're still keeping tabs on her, it's probably safe to say that they'll know what went down on Char, and will be inclined to take the opportunity to exact their revenge...unless Zeratul can convince them (as he did Raynor) to stay their hand. Then again, considering the Protoss' draconian bureaucracy that might be a task in and of itself.

Hell, with a substantial portion of the galaxy after Kerrigan's head, she'll more than likely have to lay very low for a while; at least until she can build up enough of her forces. I can imagine some kind of 'Bonnie & Clyde type thing between herself and Raynor; As VoK alluded to, having Kerrigan onboard the Hyperion may put Raynor at odds with his crew. Teaming up with the Dominion to de-infest her already sorely tested their loyalty to Raynor & his cause, but having to play chauffeur to 'The Queen Bitch of the universe may be the last straw....
    Last edited by phazonjunkie; 08-29-2010 at 02:35 AM. Reason: another thought

I don't think the crew of the Hyperion will be helping or chasing you. I think Horner will be taking the fight to Mengsk, possibly co-leading a Valerian Faction with Warfield. I think that this will be mentioned, and eventually released as a bonus campaign like Enslavers, possibly with full voice acting and things for a nominal fee.

Tenebrae's Avatar Junior Member

Queens:

Queens are exceedingly intelligent, and were even before their Starcraft 2 incarnation. Within the novels, they are depicted as possessing a sinister level of intelligence, cold, calculating, and very methodic in nature. Now, they're being presented as even more intelligent...

Overlords and Overseers:

These massive blimps aren't very independent, but they are intelligent. They can engage in dialog when they are addressed, but it's normally just to take orders or relay information to a superior.

Our Cerebrate:

There has been absolutely no information on what transpired to the most loyal and reliable individual within Kerrigan's forces. Though Metzen has clearly stated that all Cerebrates are dead, it is highly unlikely that Kerrigan would destroy the only thing in her entire life that has displayed unwavering loyalty to her and not once expressed a desire to betray.

More likely, she turned this creature into something else...evolving it and twisting its form into a guardian aspect, something that could be a trusted advisor and personal guard...even if she never needed it for such. I really hope that Blizzard pays homage to this Cerebrate and does something akin to that...because it would make absolutely no sense for Kerrigan to have destroyed it, but to convert its role now that it's no longer needed to control a brood...definitely something I can see her doing.

Jim Raynor:

It does not matter how Kerrigan becomes the Queen of Blades once again, but she will...we know this. Loss weighs heavily upon the heart, as we seen with Jim throughout the campaign, but to obtain who you loved so greatly...only to lose them once again, that breaks people. I truly believe that Jim will fall before Kerrigan if she plays her cards right...that he'll become the consort she's always wanted. She's in the perfect position to get everything she's ever wanted.

Other:

There are plenty of other things they could do in order to provide Kerrigan with a cast of characters worthy of communication. We don't know what she's been doing for all these years on Char, and creating even more intelligent strains of Zerg who were capable of engaging in intelligent conversation, battle strategy, and who knows what else could have been exactly that. There may be a new form of Cerebrate we don't know of...something she communes with and governs behind the scenes...so to speak.

Note:

I, personally, do not believe that Kerrigan was so much deinfested as she was empowered by the Xel'Naga artifact. My thoughts on this device are that it was to be used on Hybrids as a means of furthering their development, strengthening them...and though it looks as though Kerrigan was rendered, mostly, Terran once again...I think everything went exactly according to her plans. I believe this apparent rehumanization is a ruse and that her true ascension will be something magnificent...and undeniably deadly.

However, my thoughts on this are posted elsewhere...I just really feel that Kerrigan is, right now, exactly as she was as the Queen of Blades.

"There's a fine line between reality and fantasy, but a far finer line exists between sanity and insanity." -Tenebrae

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    Queens:
    Our Cerebrate:

There has been absolutely no information on what transpired to the most loyal and reliable individual within Kerrigan's forces. Though Metzen has clearly stated that all Cerebrates are dead, it is highly unlikely that Kerrigan would destroy the only thing in her entire life that has displayed unwavering loyalty to her and not once expressed a desire to betray.

More likely, she turned this creature into something else...evolving it and twisting its form into a guardian aspect, something that could be a trusted advisor and personal guard...even if she never needed it for such. I really hope that Blizzard pays homage to this Cerebrate and does something akin to that...because it would make absolutely no sense for Kerrigan to have destroyed it, but to convert its role now that it's no longer needed to control a brood...definitely something I can see her doing.
    That's conjecture at best, but I also think it would be a very interesting plot development. Then again, the cerebrate we played as has ZERO personality, so making one up now would be really weird.

Jim Raynor:

It does not matter how Kerrigan becomes the Queen of Blades once again, but she will...we know this. Loss weighs heavily upon the heart, as we seen with Jim throughout the campaign, but to obtain who you loved so greatly...only to lose them once again, that breaks people. I truly believe that Jim will fall before Kerrigan if she plays her cards right...that he'll become the consort she's always wanted. She's in the perfect position to get everything she's ever wanted.
    Wait, what? We KNOW she'll become the Queen of Blades again? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I, for one, DON'T know that she'll become the QoB again. What we KNOW is that she'll become A ruler of zerg. We don't even know if she'll become the ruler of ALL zerg, just that she will have zerg forces with her.

I'm also willing to take it a step further and say that I'm pretty sure she will NOT become the Queen of Blades, because that would negate the whole of WoL. The whole point was that she's no longer the QoB. Maybe she'll be conflicted, maybe part of her will want to revert to being the cold, calculating monster she was, but I'm almost certain that she will remain good. Maybe not saintly good, more than likely she'll be some sort of anti-hero, but she will not become the monster she was.

Though, like I pointed out in my previous post, it's more than likely that Jim will be close to her during the HotS campaign.

Note:

I, personally, do not believe that Kerrigan was so much deinfested as she was empowered by the Xel'Naga artifact. My thoughts on this device are that it was to be used on Hybrids as a means of furthering their development, strengthening them...and though it looks as though Kerrigan was rendered, mostly, Terran once again...I think everything went exactly according to her plans. I believe this apparent rehumanization is a ruse and that her true ascension will be something magnificent...and undeniably deadly.

However, my thoughts on this are posted elsewhere...I just really feel that Kerrigan is, right now, exactly as she was as the Queen of Blades.
    That, again, is conjecture at best. You can't possibly know that. And like I said earlier, it would negate the whole point of WoL, not to mention it will be a 100% repeat of Brood War's plot, where she was again supposedly freed from her evil zerginess, but was playing everyone for fools all along. It would be idiotic to repeat it, simply because it was a very key moment in defining the Queen of Blades as a character - one people remember. Doing it again would be redundant and lacking in all surprise and emotion.

Not to mention that your idea of the artifact strengthening her is completely baseless. I understand that you think this would be the best way to develop the storyline, but you have zero evidence for any of that. For one thing, the artifact will undermine the hybrid's plans, because it eliminated a LOT of zerg when it was used. No way to really know how many, but it probably took out all of the zerg on Char, which were at least half of the zerg army. The Hybrids need the zerg, as was seen in Zeratul's flashback. As powerful as they are, they apparently needed an army, as well.

Also, what we DO know, is that HotS will be about Kerrigan's power growing. She was nearly godlike before the artifact was used, so if it also strengthened her AND we get to raise her power even further in HotS... Well, I don't think there would be much dramatic tension, if your protagonist can destroy entire planets with a blink of an eye.

Tenebrae's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Articorse View Post
    That's conjecture at best, but I also think it would be a very interesting plot development. Then again, the cerebrate we played as has ZERO personality, so making one up now would be really weird.
    *Snickers*

What do you mean it doesn't have a personality? Through it's actions we have found that it's exceedingly loyal, brave, cares for Kerrigan in a manner akin to a parent or guardian, the very silent and reserved type who listens before speaking...

In all seriousness, it didn't express a personality because we, as individuals, were meant to be the personality... They could easily go with the above, and still hold true to how that Cerebrate behaved...despite us truly being the particular Cerebrate.

Wait, what? We KNOW she'll become the Queen of Blades again? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I, for one, DON'T know that she'll become the QoB again. What we KNOW is that she'll become A ruler of zerg. We don't even know if she'll become the ruler of ALL zerg, just that she will have zerg forces with her.

I'm also willing to take it a step further and say that I'm pretty sure she will NOT become the Queen of Blades, because that would negate the whole of WoL. The whole point was that she's no longer the QoB. Maybe she'll be conflicted, maybe part of her will want to revert to being the cold, calculating monster she was, but I'm almost certain that she will remain good. Maybe not saintly good, more than likely she'll be some sort of anti-hero, but she will not become the monster she was.

Though, like I pointed out in my previous post, it's more than likely that Jim will be close to her during the HotS campaign.
    When I say "Queen of Blades" I simply refer to her as being a hybridized Zerg and Terran...which we do know she'll become once more. It has been announced that HotS will consist of Kerrigan evolving along with the Swarm...so she's obviously going to continue being a Hybridized Terran.

Mentally speaking, I really don't see much of a difference between her former Terran incarnation and that of her rebirth. I think everyone overplays the "corruption" of the Zerg...especially after having read the novels and seeing her Terran nature suppressed...which is, honestly enough, what a Terran would do themselves in the face of what she's suffered. So rather than her sadistic and vengeful nature being a product of the Hybridization process...I think a vast majority of it is simply human nature, perhaps with inhibitions lifted through the Zerg's predatory nature. That mental aspect does not matter though, what I meant by Queen of Blades was simply in form.

As for WoL, the whole point started out being to kill Kerrigan, then moved on to deinfesting her, then followed up with the side point of her being the key to preventing the Voice from destroying the universe. Essentially, there was no point to WoL other than to start up the story that they are attempting to portray throughout the three campaigns.

Who's to say the artifact did as everyone believed? Just because a group of Terran scientists, who have less capability at deciphering Xel'Naga technology and writing than the Protoss, claim it to accomplish one thing does not mean that they were wrong...that it's true purpose was completely unnoticed.

They, most likely, tested it on Terran and Zerg tissue samples...they may have not anticipated that it's true purpose was for Hybrids...who could, potential, harness the energy without destruction to either genetic aspect of their DNA. Someone expressed that it said somewhere in the campaign that it drained Zeratul's crystal...and it was likely that the energy would kill a Protoss as well.

Would, however, it kill a Protoss and Zerg hybrid...or would it's purpose, instead, be to imbue them with an energy to further the evolutionary process. If such is the case, the byproduct of killing Zerg and Protoss may simply be a result of them being too far down the evolutionary ladder to handle the energies.

All just theory and speculation though.

That, again, is conjecture at best. You can't possibly know that. And like I said earlier, it would negate the whole point of WoL, not to mention it will be a 100% repeat of Brood War's plot, where she was again supposedly freed from her evil zerginess, but was playing everyone for fools all along. It would be idiotic to repeat it, simply because it was a very key moment in defining the Queen of Blades as a character - one people remember. Doing it again would be redundant and lacking in all surprise and emotion.

Not to mention that your idea of the artifact strengthening her is completely baseless. I understand that you think this would be the best way to develop the storyline, but you have zero evidence for any of that. For one thing, the artifact will undermine the hybrid's plans, because it eliminated a LOT of zerg when it was used. No way to really know how many, but it probably took out all of the zerg on Char, which were at least half of the zerg army. The Hybrids need the zerg, as was seen in Zeratul's flashback. As powerful as they are, they apparently needed an army, as well.

Also, what we DO know, is that HotS will be about Kerrigan's power growing. She was nearly godlike before the artifact was used, so if it also strengthened her AND we get to raise her power even further in HotS... Well, I don't think there would be much dramatic tension, if your protagonist can destroy entire planets with a blink of an eye.
    I said "I personally" which equates to me addressing an opinion and not fact.

You have to think along the lines of what the Xel'Naga would do, not the Voice...seeing as how this artifact was of their creation. One would deduce that, due to the Xel'Naga Temple on Shakurus, it was meant to destroy. However, when you read the novels, you discover that many temples are incubators for those Phoenix-squid creatures. They all absorb both Zerg and Protoss that are within the surrounding area to assimilate into the creature's mass and further it's maturity. Everything the Xel'Naga have ever done has been geared towards the rebirth of their own race through the eventual hybridization of the Protoss and Zerg through a natural progression.

The Xel'Naga are extreme pacifists in nature, they didn't even fight back against the Protoss as they were attacked...some of their Worldships even beind downed and destroyed, if not mistaken. They did not kill the Voice, they imprisoned him...despite the threat he posed to all of existence.

So why, then, would they design a device that kills? Most likely, in my opinion, it's not meant to...and that's only a byproduct of the true design. The Temple on Shakurus is most likely the same...it prolly had some other function geared towards Hybrids. If I remember correctly...at the end of that cinematic, there were no corpses...just an endless wasteland of nothingness.

This makes sense and follows the extreme pacifist nature of the Xel'Naga. I could be wrong, of course, but it makes far more sense to me.

Well, I don't think there would be much dramatic tension, if your protagonist can destroy entire planets with a blink of an eye.
    What I'm theorizing isn't quite that strong...I don't even think the Phoenix creatures are that strong...and they're the strongest things we know of right now.

"There's a fine line between reality and fantasy, but a far finer line exists between sanity and insanity." -Tenebrae