Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Protoss' language project

Default Re: Protoss' language project

Quote Originally Posted by Vahldreas View Post
    I look forward to a translation of "Naradahk." It's been bothering me for years now.

I'm definitely keeping an eye on this project. ;D
    Me too, Vahldreas, in fact I'll be working on cracking that word soon enough. I've been very cautious about deciphering the language from the translated sentences, the untranslated ones (such as the quotations from units) are the ones that really stalk me. You can follow the project here: http://khalani-language.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GRUNT View Post
    Incidentally, on the SC wiki it says that Blizzard has a real-world dictionary of the Protoss language, so does that mean that it's a functional language, even if it's fictional?

Could a linguist basically 'crack' Khalani and then we can all write and speak stuff in it?
    That seems to be the word around the community. However, no real evidence has appeared about this dictionary and some words seem not to be following any kind of rule. But this may also be because many of the "quotation lists" have been made by ear. For example we have a "Khassar De'Templari" and also a "Khasar du Templari!". But if I had any way to check that dictionary it would make the creation of the language and my project all the easier, and we'd be able to write it and speak it in no time. Much like other communities who have a created language.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    The SC:L staff communicate in Khalai so that nobody can learn our secrets. :P
    I'd be most interested in this information. If you could contact me or at least share some of it, words or anything at all. If they can use it it'd be a matter of writing down some rules and standardizing it.

I'm still with the project and will be in the future. The project goes slow, but all help is much appreciated. These days I'm looking up all the corpus and quotations and trying to make deductions based on frequency and word coincidences. It's been hard.

Keep in mind the project and Und khas laranakh!

Default Re: Protoss' language project

Quote Originally Posted by GRUNT View Post
    Incidentally, on the SC wiki it says that Blizzard has a real-world dictionary of the Protoss language, so does that mean that it's a functional language, even if it's fictional?

Could a linguist basically 'crack' Khalani and then we can all write and speak stuff in it?
    Well actually a linguist is basically trying to 'crack' Khalani, and I'm doing it on a blog, where I explain the grammar and try to make a coherent language that will be functional so that we can all write and speak it.

I believe the fabled 'dictionary' that Blizzard has is actually a recommendation on how to create the Protoss' names, and even if they actually had a lexicon of some sort (a group of words) just that wouldn't be enough to make an entire functional speakable language. And there's where I come in, I'm trying to do just that in my Khalani blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanhadrian View Post
    My guess is that "atum" is a predicator of some sort, because a couple of sentences end with it. To this end, Khalani would be a SOV language or a OSV language. I have no idea how it would handle morphemes though, like would there be inflection, agglutination, isolation; hard to say with so little data.
    Well, I've often thought about such words as "atum" and "atan" and so forth. I have some ideas for it which would make it pretty useful. In fact, in my next posts I will specifically be dealing with words such as "atum" and the like. I hope you all enjoy it.