Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible buffs for 'weaker' zerg late mid game

Default Possible buffs for 'weaker' zerg late mid game

After seeing a few Dustin Browder vids and articles about how the zerg, as far as internal testing, has been slightly weaker than the other races, i was trying to think of something that would help out zerg in the mid-late game using the mechanics that zerg already has.

I think one very unique zerg ability is the ability to drop creep on the map with overlords. Posts about the current build say although it has been very underused in games so far, the benefit of increased movement speed is noticeable.

It might make risking your forward overlords more attractive if your units recieved some other type of buff while on creep. A natural one for me would be: all zerg units on creep recieve +1 carapace as well as the movement buff. This may or may not break the +3 maximum, due to balancing, but it would definitely make a difference going against the late game protoss or terran ground army. It might be a game changer as far as running your ultra/ling into the +3/+3 tank/zealot line.

The downside is that early game, turtling zerg might be hard to break or scout, but you could include that the carapace buff doesn't include drones or static defense.

There might be a variety of different buffs you could give the zerg on creep such as maybe increased regeneration, attack, or hp bonus. Anyway, i think the idea is worth discussion

Default Re: Possible buffs for 'weaker' zerg late mid game

I think that the balance should remain in individual unit upgrades. Lings get faster and attack faster later into the game. Roaches increase their regen speed. Corruptors' turrets get an upgrade to stay around longer. I think upgrades like these make the Zerg very malleable and help early game units stay useful. The same technique is applied to many other units like Marines with their +10 HP shield, and Zealots with Charge. It works just fine.

I think it is fun using creep as an offensive ability. Whether it is speed increase, offensive sunkens, nydus worms, or new things like the original poster suggested.

Zerg players should be motivated to spread that crap everywhere! It is just cool from an "Aliens" style lore perspective that they would want creep on as much of the map as possible.

I'm telling you, burrowing, invisible Nydus Worm! He says that it's not being used much, so make it overpowered first and nerf from there as necessary.

I even thought of a better idea than having the thing swim through the air; make it spit a "Nydus Seed," that flies around as an air unit (100 health or something). When it reaches a suitable location for the worm to burrow on an island or other landmass, it burrows in to the ground, and a few seconds later, the Nydus Worm that spit it out comes through the hole it created.

I really think Protoss and Terrans have Zerg beat on the mobility angle by a large margin, and some rebalanced, re-thought form of this would level the playing field.

Again, the stealth factor could be counterbalanced by a long period of rupturing the ground, and a fairly long cooldown between spitting out units, which would also encourage the use of multiple worms. Leave the Overlord transport ability in case of need of quicker drops.

There's also the idea of the "Seismic activity detected," warning, if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by cerebralz View Post
    There might be a variety of different buffs you could give the zerg on creep such as maybe increased regeneration, attack, or hp bonus. Anyway, i think the idea is worth discussion
    I think that is a good idea. If a Zerg unit is on his own creep then being able to regenerate it's health quickly might not be a bad idea. Just a slight increase in rate, nothing drastic.

I'm glad you put some thought into this. How many Zerg games have you lost in SC2 this week?

Quote Originally Posted by SaharaDrac View Post
    I'm glad you put some thought into this. How many Zerg games have you lost in SC2 this week?
    Well that was unnecessarily condescending, and I'm not even sure who you were talking to.

This is a whole forum filled with people who are basically just theorycrafting about a game we've never played.

We could all just stop posting entirely, if you'd prefer that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ManjiSanji View Post
    Well that was unnecessarily condescending, and I'm not even sure who you were talking to.

This is a whole forum filled with people who are basically just theorycrafting about a game we've never played.

We could all just stop posting entirely, if you'd prefer that instead.
    Theorycrafting is one thing. You're proposing buffs. There are PLENTY of things to talk about besides invented balance. I've proven that.
    Last edited by SaharaDrac; 07-02-2009 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SaharaDrac View Post
    Theorycrafting is one thing. You're proposing buffs. There are PLENTY of things to talk about besides invented balance. I've proven that.
    *Blink*
    Ok?

A simple, "no, I don't agree," would suffice.

Do you have any suggestions to contribute to the thread?

@ saharadrac

you did see those 2 battlereports, right?
    if you did you would've notice that the zerg are currently the weakest race.
    and this is a forum, you can say whatever you want if it's about the game