Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Rush Frenzy

Dalamar's Avatar Junior Member

Default Early Rush Frenzy

Has anyone else noticed that ultra-fast rushes have become rather common on the EU servers lately? I just played 10 1v1 games and, with the exception of two -I think- opponents, everybody tried - most of them successfuly- to rush me.

I saw a 2-gate zealot push, a 6-pool, several Protoss going proxy gateway inside my main aaaand... here comes the big one: A bunker rush! Seriously, in the last ~9 months, that I've been watching beta commentaries, I don't think I've ever seen anyone try a bunker rush. And this one was complete with a proxy barracks as well.

Anyway to the main part of my post. I know how the stop the extra cheesy proxy tactics. Be more pro-active scouting your main and don't let the scouting probe/scv out of your sight for a second. All you need is to expect it and be alert, if their base looks empty. But, playing as a Protoss, how do you guys go about stopping a 6-pool and a 2-gate zealot push?

6-pool: As far, as the 6-pool is concerned I could place down a gateway, as soon as I spot it (scouting at 9), but I'll, at best, only have one zealot in time and no way, I will be able to block my ramp with just that. A stalker or a sentry would help a lot, but those will never be on time.

Zealot push: Regarding the zealot push, I suspect a stalker and a sentry should be able to hold them off, until the second gateway can start producing, but what if the sentry runs out of energy?

PS: What's even the point going proxy gateway as a Protoss? If you can hide half a base in your opponents main, you can hide a single pylon better. A warpgate proxy will be a bit slower, but much safer.
    Proud SC2 Fight Club Member!

"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do. ", HAL
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.", Isaac Asimov

Default Re: Early Rush Frenzy

Its common on the NA servers too. I got rushed in 3 of my placement matches. Two Zealot rushes, and a Barracks-inside-the-base rush I was lucky I caught out of the corner of my scout.

So, how do you guys go about stopping the 6-pool and the 2-gate zealot push, playing as Protoss?

"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do. ", HAL
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.", Isaac Asimov

Aethran's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalamar View Post
    So, how do you guys go about stopping the 6-pool and the 2-gate zealot push, playing as Protoss?
    well, when I play against zerg on small maps I scout with my 9 probe and if I see a 6 pool I choke my ramp with a second gateway that leaves only enough room for a single zealot, my first zealot usually comes out somewhere in the middle of the first 6 zerglings rushing my base, but I can easily stop those with my probes and after that the zealot can hold the choke, just keep making more zealots and probes and you'll overrun the zerg easily

Quote Originally Posted by Dalamar View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that ultra-fast rushes
    ULTRA RUSHES!?!?!

j/k. I just read that and thought it was funny.

I just played a match on the US servers (custom) and someone lifted off their cc and landed it in my base and built a planetary fortress. So I lifted off and moved to me expo... Fail rush?

Lol I thought the same thing when I saw that too mulletben so dont feel bad. For the quick two gate push from protoss I always start out normally with my 12 gate and 14 assimilator. About the time I notice the 2 gate I immediately throw down another gate near my ramp to choke it up a bit, and put 1 probe into the geyser so I can tech to warpgate and stalkers faster than the opponent. Against P I always try to build my first gateway right near the ramp since having a good wall prevents the 2gate rush, and 4gate push from being as effective since they units have to limbo line into the base to make it work. I also cut chronoboost from my probes as soon as I see it and save it for my gateways.

Against the 6pool zerg I do something similar to how I deal with the 2 gate. I build my first gateway close to the ramp but instead of letting my assimilator finish I cancel it and throw up another gateway at my ramp/choke asap. The first zerglings will get into your base more than likely, but you could have up to 14 probes by that time with your zealot fast on the way. You can either kill those zerglings with the probes, or use the zealot to do so and take the probes off mining until your 2nd zealot appears. Your first zealot is best to be kept at the choke so no more lings can get by. The second zealot and your probes can handle all the zerglings in your base while the first zealot stays at the wall. When you clear the first batch of zerglings out you will have double the income that the opponent will. So you can wait until you have about 4 or 5 zealots (save one for wall in) and send them to the opponents base and just rally your 2 gateways there. It is not the first wave of zerglings that kills you, its the ones after that.
    I realize that I change my signature often. All I can say to that is: SO??? HAI FIVE!! (*・∀・)/♡\(・∀・*)

If you like anyone's post, be sure to give them additional rep.

@MulletBen: I honestly didn't realise, that it could be interpreted that way. :P

@silencbank: I think, that was the main mistake I made. I focused too much on the first six zerglings and failed to keep the first zealot in my choke. I also saw an interesting youtube tutorial on handling the 6-pool and it advocated placing a pylon to hold the choke and then cancelling it, right when the first zealot is warped in.

About the 2-gate zealot push, I find it interesting, that you only put one probe into gas. Is it worth the extra minerals, not getting enough gas to ramp up stalker and sentry production earlier?

Yes, you want as many probes on minerals against a 2gate rush. The minerals get you zealots, probes, pylons and eventually your cyber core faster than they can. I like putting that one guy in gas just because I KNOW that I will hold off that 2gate, and will need a plan to pressure back when they cant beat my defense. You might be able to get away with 2 probes in gas and be ok, but I like the one probe in there just fine. It lets me get warpgate pretty fast, and keeps my other probes mining minerals for as long as possible. Since I already have the assimilator up I can easily add 2 more probes in there to get stalkers and sentries, but I dont like doing that until after I have an amount of income that will not suffer by taking those 2 probes off mining. Most effective thing to do is to just match gateways and zealots until you push them back. Do not be afraid to send a probe into his base either before or after his first push to see what he is doing and see how you can exploit it. This is one of the easiest rushes to hold off imho if you scout it, and prepare for it accordingly.
    I realize that I change my signature often. All I can say to that is: SO??? HAI FIVE!! (*・∀・)/♡\(・∀・*)

If you like anyone's post, be sure to give them additional rep.

@silencbank: Ok, I see your point. Thanks for the tips. Now, I just need to practice them.