Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative terran heavy infantry

Default Alternative terran heavy infantry

The terran heavy infantry unit is currently the Marauder, but i would like to share some concepts for the terran barracks units that i envisioned. Please share your thoughts about them
    Thanks

SIEGE MARINE .

Name/Designation: Siege marine, support and siege unit

Race: Terran

Armament : 110 mm plasma gauge cannon

Abillities: Siege mode

Stats:
    - cost *75minerals 50 gas*
    -health * 75hp*
    -protection * 1armor*
    -damage * 6dmg - mobile mode, 20 dmg + 20 vs armored -siege mode*
    -range *5 mobile mode, 9 siege mode*

Lore:
    After the great war, the marine corpse realized the need for a specialized antiarmor unit,and two different design were concept. One being a heavy infantry rocket unit and the other a plasma long range cannon unit, inspired by the succes of the Scorpio tank. Because off the high need need off plasma containers, and the high need production off siege tanks, the unit known as "Marauder" was chosen. It is believed that there exists only a small number off the concept unit known as Siege marine.

SPIKER .

Name/Designation: Spiker, close range melee unit

Race: Terran

Armament :Ion Fusion Cutter

Abillities: Steampack

Stats:
    - cost *75minerals *
    -health * 60hp*
    -protection * 1armor*
    -damage * 15 dmg + 10 vs armored *
    -range *melee*

Lore:
    After the great succes of the firebats, the terrans started to research and designing a new close range unit.The center off the new unit was the upgraded Fusion Cutter from the scv. The new Ion Fusion Cutter, was far more capable, than simple mineral cutting. It was design to cut even the hardest materials and armor like butter. It is currently still in test phase and has yet to be tested on field trials.

Last edited by Perfecttear; 06-12-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Default Re: Alternative terran heavy infantry

I dunno...

There's no need for another siege unit... with two units who fill the same role eventually it comes down to cost effectiveness and one goes unused. From your current stats for the Siege Marine, my guess is the Siege Tank would win (not in direct cost-for-cost combat but for overall utility) because it would take 3 SM to match the power of a current ST, and even then they'd have less range and cost 50 more gas.

Also, I don't feel the Terran need a melee unit, especially with the stats you've provided. First, it goes against their racial diversity as all-ranged. Secondly, It has almost the same stats as the firebat (which was a horrible unit), yet doesn't even have splash damage. I noticed you gave them a bonus to armored to try and make up for that lack of power, but you must realize that most armored units are pretty fast. The Zealot is effective because it now has the Charge ability. But I cannot see a Spiker trying to catch a Stalker, Hellion, or Viking, and it would only do 10 damage to an Immortal. Overall, the unit is just too weak and serves no real purpose.

Interesting but there are a number of issues with it. First the Siege Marine. By itself it wouldnŽt be a issue but the Siege Tank already exists. In the most likely scenario heŽd make the Siege Tank obsolete.

The spiker is to SCVs what the Militia is to Workers. Unfortunately melee is just begging for friendly fire with the abundancy of AoE effects with Terrans. Terrans arenŽt weak against melee because they donŽt have any of their own but because they have to be carefull not to blow up each other.

These are only concept that i thought that would be cool
    But i thank you for stating your opinions, and explaining them

It would be nice if your ideas would have a bit more backing than just "cool". You bothered to come up with ingame stats but no reasons why youŽd think they should be that way. IŽm not against creativity or new unit ideas but I expect a little more effort before going "public". Not in the stat sense but the effect on gameplay angle.

On that topic there is no need just to come up with unit ideas upon random concept art you found. Maybe a new upgrade or terrain feature would also be a nice idea.

Quote Originally Posted by unentschieden View Post
    It would be nice if your ideas would have a bit more backing than just "cool". You bothered to come up with ingame stats but no reasons why youŽd think they should be that way. IŽm not against creativity or new unit ideas but I expect a little more effort before going "public". Not in the stat sense but the effect on gameplay angle.
    You misunderstood the point off this thread, i am only showing a concept , which is not yet finished, and want from the other users their opinion and how do they think this unit would affect gameplay, before i can finish the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfecttear View Post
    You misunderstood the point off this thread, i am only showing a concept , which is not yet finished, and want from the other users their opinion and how do they think this unit would affect gameplay, before i can finish the concept.
    Both units would be ineffective as they stand. Terran have no need for another siege unit, or a melee unit.

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

It's pretty much against the law for the Terrans to have a, in the strictest meaning of the word, melee unit.

And no, a flamethrower is not a melee weapon.

I would love to see these units implemented in the editor though. Those arts are gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    It's pretty much against the law for the Terrans to have a, in the strictest meaning of the word, melee unit.

And no, a flamethrower is not a melee weapon.
    I wouldn't say that, the only reasson the terrans didn't have a melee unit, is because it is hard to make a melee unit for the terrans that would make sense, and would fit into the world and would have lore backrounds. I challenge you to present me with an another concept for a melee unit that makes sense. It's allmost imposible to conceive one that makes sense. And i think that the spiker makes sense for a melee unit
    Last edited by Perfecttear; 06-12-2009 at 12:31 PM.