Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mass void ray/early cannons as Zerg?

Default Mass void ray/early cannons as Zerg?

I've been winning my games typically unless they last for an hour, and those I usually lose just because I leave of exhaustion. With protoss, it seems like they always get cannons up so quickly and wall off, making my first 6 zerglings useless. Eventually they get around 20 void rays, and my corruptors don't do much after they all hit 3 beams. I played against a protoss in scrap station who went 2 cannons at 13 supply, and I was able to run 4 zerglings in right after they finished. He got another cannon right after. Is this considered cheese? I know terran missle turrets cost around 100 minerals, and if it's the same for protoss, that's roughly 300 minerals (6 drones, a gateway I think, etc.) and if I see it early enough I can run in while the toss has no defenses besides those cannons. Just wondering what I need to do to prevent that void ray/early cannon spam. By the time I get air units he has cannons all around his base and it just becomes nearly impossible to punch a hole through it.

For a Terran walling himself in, what's the best solution? It seems that they go MMM and get just a critical mass that banelings do nothing because the 80 marines shoot them too quickly. I try baneling busting his wall, but his 2-3 marines and marauder usually kill my zerglings/one baneling and the wall doesn't go down, and he transitions into that huge MMM ball.

I really don't find these long, drawn out games very much fun (because the opponent just turtles for an hour and they a-moves, kinda boring to just wait on each other tbh, and I can't see to break in anywhere midgame and later), so I was wondering if I need to stop going 14 pool and going 13 pool, or what? And that 13 cannon protoss was when I was around 18 supply, because he needed to save the 200-300 minerals for the cannons and wasn't producing drones.

Default Re: Mass void ray/early cannons as Zerg?

Don't take this the wrong way but you're using a bunch of big words like "baneling bust", "critical mass" when I think you should be focusing on even more fundamental aspects of the game. You've got those definitions right, but I doubt you're executing most of the stuff you're talking about correctly. Start by learning the game through your experience, then go for the next step by watching replays and listening to commentary.

If your main strategy is attacking with your 6 first zerglings, it's normal that it wouldn't work.
    If your protoss opponents are starting off with a cannon wall at their ramp, then you should be expanding.
    If all of you're banelings are getting shot down before they even reach contact, then try sending them in at the same time as your zerglings (keep them in seperate control groups though).
    If you're losing to pure void rays at the end of the game, you just don't have enough armies. Also, mutalisks are good against void rays as well.

Once you get better and climb to higher leagues, you won't be bothered by turtling players anymore.

Yeah, when I see my opponent walling himself in I FE since I know initial pressure won't be an issue, and keep an OL by his natural and one at each expansion to ensure he doesn't sneak one by me. When I have roughly 3-4 bases with him having 1 or 2, it seems like I can't reinforce a hatchery in time with my army before his rays destroy it. It's usually a colossi/vr army that I mostly go corrupter for. I haven't looked at the stats so I dunno if the hydra or corr is a better AA unit tbh.
    Last edited by Taav; 08-06-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taav View Post
    Yeah, when I see my opponent walling himself in I FE since I know initial pressure won't be an issue, and keep an OL by his natural and one at each expansion to ensure he doesn't sneak one by me. When I have roughly 3-4 bases with him having 1 or 2, it seems like I can't reinforce a hatchery in time with my army before his rays destroy it. It's usually a colossi/vr army that I mostly go corrupter for. I haven't looked at the stats so I dunno if the hydra or corr is a better AA unit tbh.
    Corruptor is the better straight up AA unit, but its obviously not as versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    Corruptor is the better straight up AA unit, but its obviously not as versatile.
    True, but usually in these games the toss just goes for 12ish VR's and 2-3 colossi, both of which corruptors can hit so I don't worry too much about it. Really, I just don't want these games to last so long, but past the initial early game, I have no idea when to push out since he never pushes out, and saccing an OL even with speed does nothing because 3 cannons systematically destroy me. D:

Post a replay. It helps when we see what your talking about.

I'm assuming your in bronze or silver.. is that a safe assumption??

expand, defend, and just contain him until you have a large force to break him. he'll be easy to outproduce if he's just doing cannon/voidray, especially off 1 base. there is no reason to attack, or even build zerglings if he is cannoning himself in like that.

Yeah, bronze. It just seems like I get ~30 corruptors and he gets ~20 VRs and at first I do pretty well, but after awhile they get the 3 beams and it seems like he comes out on top a little bit. So is really the only strategy to outmacro him until he pushes out, then counterpush? I'm hoping to avoid having these games last so long to begin with, but if the only way to get an early win is through cheese of some kind I'd rather just wait it out.

well, you can 6 pool.....

or heavy baneling, but void ray could kill you.

but outproducing and overrunning your opponent is how you beat turtlers.

it would be better to take 10-15 minutes to rape his ass than have an hour long game because you failed to bust him early.

If he's going VR, go Hydra. What hurts Hydras? Colossi and Storm, which are on completely different tech trees than Stargate. Hydras aren't exactly the most mobile unit, but as long as you're spreading your Creep Tumors and start using more Nydus Worms to connect your own bases for easier defense, you should be fine.