Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Todies Replays, Reflections and Ramblings

Default Re: Todies Replays, Reflections and Ramblings

its 150/150 .. and you are right that getting the energy grade plus the NP grade plus the infestors is a big invest in time & gas. but the dynamics of teh situation changes entirely when you become more active with using the infestors - offensively for harassment and with fungal to enhance map control; its such a great way to buy time.

i geuss its fine to skip the energy upgrade and just get thsoe few semi early infestors + let them regenerate, upgrade NP and use em carefully, making the most of every energy point.

... but there are sitautions wher youre stuck at lair and have a potentially greater gas income than mienral income - while also needing to make something happen. Infestors -with energy - is a great suppliment & even alternative to mutalisks in these situations (especially vs terran)
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

I think you're right overall. I should definitely get it more often. After all, if I plan on making just 3 or more infestors after the upgrade is complete, it's probably worth it. And besides, infestors work perfectly with T3, so yeah: profit.

edit: I'm not quite sure being stuck at T2 is a comfortable position for a zerg though. I could see those games not going very well :/

I just watched games 1 & 2 and they're great!
    Geez we haven't played in so long, I had better train or I'll be getting owned badly next time we meet haha : )

In the ZvZ, that was a solid transition imo. I don't think he was wrong going for mutalisks considering the map and all, but your spore colony defense was spot on, and then you took advantage of the fact that he wasn't being expansive enough (and that all of his units die badly to fungal growth). Really solid strategy and timing sense on your part. He relied too much on mutalisks, which cost him the game.

Game 2 was interesting. Stalker/collossi give me trouble sometimes, but it's nice to see a smack talker get beaten down haha : ) What a dumbass, getting so cocky he doesn't expand until his mineral line runs out. I wouldn't want to take away from your victory though, our burrow tactics won you the game, that was sweet. Getting some NP from your cliff would have been the icing on the cake : )

I've just watched two more:

-aerial skirmishing: Wow I had no idea corruptors were so good against phoenii
    He didn't use them enough to harass, but that was some nice domination. I don't think all air was very clever though, and your roaches weren't quite necessary against such a build. A simple ling/bling or ling/hydra could have broken anything. The game was very entertaining since I couldn't really figure out what his next step was going to be with such a weird build.

-ITs saved my backside: wow... it's like you did everything in that game haha : ) Even a bling overlord drop + IT lobe. That was impressive. It's like we use infestorsin opposite ways. I'm fungal+NP heavy, while you spam ITs a lot, a use fungal when necessary.
    There's not doubt I should use them more though, you kept on pushing him back with an instant army, which was pretty impressive. He says it himself at the end "I didn't know what you had". Of course, he couldn't really guess since having ITs around opens up any tech pattern.
    That was really well played.
    Last edited by Hammy; 08-10-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Hehe just watched that last one, and you sure do love that infestor harass^^

Have you tried spawning the ITs and then using fungal btw? It would require 'counting' your IT clicks, since you need 3ITs worth of energy to get that fungal off, but it might buy some crucial time to kill SCVs.
    Haven't tried it though, just brainstorming.
    edit: btw I mean doing IT > fungal, instead of fungal > IT (that way the ITs can hatch : p)
    Just realized I might have not been clear.
    Last edited by Hammy; 08-12-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Watched the two first and the game vs that Toss was nice.
    And the ZvZ was also a good game.

As the others mentioned your use of infestors is enlightening. Been testing them out in 2v2 today and my expertise is getting better game by game.

My favourite spell of the three is Fungal Growth, though, it just has so many great uses.
    I do use the ITs as well, but itīs more of a little support.
    Iīll try to focus more on ITs for kicks and try not to waste too much energy on fungals.

it depends on the situation alot, but fungal is very often a better use of the energy.

... if you use it on high hp units or infantry being healed though, that is "just" stalling.. that can be good too, just make sure you know what your stalling for; its easy to get caught up in that infsetor mciro - neglect spawn larva + making units, and get overrun once infestor energy runs out.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.

Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
    Hehe just watched that last one, and you sure do love that infestor harass^^

Have you tried spawning the ITs and then using fungal btw? It would require 'counting' your IT clicks, since you need 3ITs worth of energy to get that fungal off, but it might buy some crucial time to kill SCVs.
    Haven't tried it though, just brainstorming.
    edit: btw I mean doing IT > fungal, instead of fungal > IT (that way the ITs can hatch : p)
    Just realized I might have not been clear.
    i think of doing this, allot. but when it comes down to it, its like im always too eager to get it right. it might also be that i dont keep a close enough eye on the energy meters; 2 fungals is generally preferable to 1 fungal + 3IT's ... but frequently i realize too late that im short a few energy points...... the infestor harass is still a work in progress; sth else totally worth doing is scouting ahead for detection with changelings rather than go in blind and risking losing one or more infestor in vain.

-------------

so, i got this awesome game a few days back, and held up on posting it because i wanted something to go along with it. but as i ended up playing mostly terran 2v2 after that, good 1v1 games were scarce.

the awesome game was long though, so i thought this one game i played yesterday, that cute but short, might go along with it well.

THE GAMES:

the theme for today is ZvT

first game: extremely back and forth game on lost temple; one of those games where one irrationality spawns another one, and it just goes on on- and UP on the techtree - without much passivity
    spilers:
    Hidden Content:

fast expo, denied by an offensive bunker + fe and attempt to block nat choke, countered by ling runby, busted contain into banebust into expo, denied by reapers, fended off by roaches - shielding a new expo.. -> reaper drop and infester harass at the same time.. infestors had to settle for poking at his outer skirts, while his drop was quite successful; it was an uphill battle from there..

i tried to keep in his face with muta + infestor and didnt take terrible damage from his drops from then on, that was my way back. reason he kept bouncing back was the island expo; i think, had i not pressued him and made him paranoid, he might have spent more effectively and been asble to launch more + a wider barrage of aggression - i was actually behind on supply / econ for quite a while.

.. problem with playing muta vs T for me is that its so hard to muster the brute force (or just the courage?) needed to bust in with a frontal attack, even when backed with a strong enough econ..

... its hard to estimate the strength of a boxed in terran, esp when there are turrets. hence the dragged out ending, last 15 minutes arnt worth much.

second game
    : more of a straightforward, quick and cute. a laid back example of what happens when opponent play into my hands. noteworthy is how close the econ-game was, i suppose i might have been in trouble if he'd taken a defensive posture in time and try to halt my econ through drops or seomthing. but thats a different game i suppose.

... Enjoy the games comments & questions are welcome.

... im much more picky about 2v2 games; tehre are so many "bad" players involved, and so many games ending without clear & interesting tactics & strategies being employed and working more or less as planned. what im trying to do is make ravens work well. anyway, give a shout if you'd wanna see a 2v2 rep.

peace.

Hi.

continuing on the theme of today; ZvT, i played another seriously intense game tonight, this time on scrap station (acutally i only got to paly vs terran tongiht. 3 games).

i was forced to place my semi-fast expo in an iffy spot and got badly harassed by helions but countered by getting my infestor harass started ASAP, to even the score - and thats just about what i did - not deciding the game (as is otherwsieoften the case) but evening it out. after a failed frontal assault by him, this progressed into a back and forth battle over the middle around the watchtower; mech + marines vs roach zergling and a crazy lot of infestors.

.. i dare say my infestor use is improving, little by little. next time ill try to get more fancy with NP, like taking a raven to not only use its energy (as i did here several times) but tto actively deny vision and open up for burrow move roaches to sneak closer to a tankline.

.. i hope this one doesnt get lost in a sea of mediocrity; it was quite great.

peace out.

Hi.

gastrop0d's Avatar Junior Member

Yeah when I saw you NP the Ravens in that last game the first thing I thought was "oh snap, now hes going to burrow right underneath them!"

Alas... still a crazy awesome set of games though. I had no idea 2 fungal growths could delete marine balls like that.