View Poll Results: Would you like Branching or Linear?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Branching

17 20.48%
  • Linear

60 72.29%
  • Other (explain pls)

6 7.23%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOTS: Branch vs. Linear

Rezildur's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: HOTS: Branch vs. Linear

Linear absolutely. WoL wasn't a failure by any means, but hopefully they learned their lesson that what they did the first time with SC1 and Brood Wars was the best way to go.

I'd really like to have the options to choose which evolutionary paths to follow, possibly how to enhance some units, or maybe choosing between one of a couple species to infest, etc. because it seems like something that you could REALLY expand upon with the Zerg in interesting ways.

I'd somewhat like to see a more linear storyline, because the idea of being Kerrigan seems like it NEEDS direction more than the open choices that Raynor has in his position.

**WoL Spoiler**
    Hidden Content:
    While Kerrigan's likely partial, possibly full uninfestation does leave her in a rather ambiguous position, especially having been rescued by Raynor...

... Kerrigan's motivation has ALWAYS been a driving force in StarCraft, and it needs to continue to drive the story.

X

Linear. WoL was a total mess. I probably missed half of Dr Hanson's dialog because I finished her missions first.

So many characters...yet so little developement. Plus there's no interaction, so what's the point?
    This isn't mass effect.

Quote Originally Posted by dustinbrowder View Post
    You are very weird man. Have you no logic?
    And again you had to be pretty big noob about PC not to know about the change, I mean even the birds on the trees knew about it.

...Its like calling throwing stone an athletic competition. Get a grip man and don't write nonsense...
    Shot put anyone?

I'd like to have a linear campaign with more branching choices for zerg as a race. I'd like to see more unit options where you can choose to evolve one direction or the other. I also would like to see some of those doodad effects that we talked about a long while ago in a few threads; where we can destroy something like bridges or dams and change the landscape of the map or at least have the computer change the landscape of the map during games.

I also wouldnt mind seeing a few more different AI strategies in the campaign. Wouldn't it be cool to play a campaign all teh way through, replay a few maps and realize the computer is doing completely different builds and strategies and focusing on different units from game to game? I think this would add to the replayability as well...
    http://sclegacy.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=23&dateline=124193888  6

Please stop the spread of Mass Effect!!!

**SPOILERS BELOW** just minor ones though.

If blizzard was willing to put the usual blizzard polish into a non linear campaign I think it would be amazing. Problem is they didn't take the time to ensure that no matter the order that you play the missions in the story still makes sense. I ended up beating all the Tyhcus missions before some of the other side stories and as a result one second Jim was telling his crew if they didn't like his decisions they could get off his ship and then right after I beat the last doc hanson mission I came back to my ship and everyone was buddy buddy with me again. Completely disjointed and out of place. It really killed the story for me.

If somehow blizzard could record multiple voice overs for the same parts that would play if you beat one mission before another the non linear story would become seamless and would seem a lot more linear to the player, since what you do actually effects the world around you.

I hated the choices that blizzard gave me because I knew that my choice would never impact anything from that point on. We wont be seeing tosh or the doctor ever again because some players choices ended up killing off those characters. Thus any choice we make in the game can never have any real impact on anything. So I would much rather blizzard goes all out and takes it to the next level (bioware style) or they forget this nonsense altogether.
    Drink Zealot Powerade!
    Nothing gets your Psionic powers flowing like Zealot Powerade!

Linear. Just.... linear...

Quote Originally Posted by ZealotPowerade View Post
    **SPOILERS BELOW** just minor ones though.

If blizzard was willing to put the usual blizzard polish into a non linear campaign I think it would be amazing. Problem is they didn't take the time to ensure that no matter the order that you play the missions in the story still makes sense. I ended up beating all the Tyhcus missions before some of the other side stories and as a result one second Jim was telling his crew if they didn't like his decisions they could get off his ship and then right after I beat the last doc hanson mission I came back to my ship and everyone was buddy buddy with me again. Completely disjointed and out of place. It really killed the story for me.

If somehow blizzard could record multiple voice overs for the same parts that would play if you beat one mission before another the non linear story would become seamless and would seem a lot more linear to the player, since what you do actually effects the world around you.

I hated the choices that blizzard gave me because I knew that my choice would never impact anything from that point on. We wont be seeing tosh or the doctor ever again because some players choices ended up killing off those characters. Thus any choice we make in the game can never have any real impact on anything. So I would much rather blizzard goes all out and takes it to the next level (bioware style) or they forget this nonsense altogether.
    Oh, man, glad I did the minor ones before the Artifact ones. I would have exploded in laughter. Somehow, I feel terrible for what you've been through though.

Yeah, they should have at least placed a sort of marker that these are side missions, these are plot missions, these are exploration missions, etc.

The gameplay in WoL's side missions were great, but the branching stories did effect the story telling a little bit, taking away some focus from the plot. Side stuff like the Protoss mini campaign are alright, but I'll leave it up to Blizzard to create something unique for the zerg story. Whatever the case, I always liked a linear story more.

And I agree with Zealot Powerade, I think certain missions needed to be beat before others could unlock, or else you'll run into those problems.

Hidden Content:
    Beating all the other missions should be a prerequisite for working with the dominion at all.
    Last edited by Crazy_Jonny; 08-04-2010 at 09:26 PM.

*Minor Spoilers*

The branching system did not work out too well in Wol imo. In addition to the things others have pointed out, it was also stupid if you beat the Zeratul mini campaign before the secret mission because each one is followed by an almost identical conversation with Tosh back on the ship. Raynor acts as though he has no idea what he just saw (i.e. hybrids), yet during the second time this happens he has already seen them before so it makes no sense that he acts dumbfounded.

You can have a branching plotline as long as it's done well. Mass Effect 1 and 2 have a branching plotline but it still manages to weave a very strong narrative together.