Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why does Kerrigan want the Artifacts?

Default Re: Why does Kerrigan want the Artifacts?

I think Narud or Duran wanted Raynor to get the artifacts to de infest Kerrigan. The prophecy says Kerrigan must survive, but what about Sarah? Maybe de-infested Kerrigan will allow the prophecy to be cancelled, and then they have to find a way to save everything.

Quote Originally Posted by BusinessMonkey View Post
    ...mine for what? To destroy? And yet again... Why? Due to something we have to deduct ourselves after or during the last mission? It's too unclear to be proper motivational material storytelling wise.
    Not really, she wants them so they can't be used against her. Fairly simple and it makes perfect sense if she knows what they do.
    SC2 handle - "DrakeyC, code 929"

I ARE A PROPHET! I've predicted three major aspects of SC2 correct, more or less.

June 2007 - I predicted the Protoss campaign would give you new tech as you conducted diplomacy among tribes.

Hidden Content:
    July 18th 2010 - I predicted Raynor would broadcast information of Mengsk's actions on Tarsonis to discredit him and incite rebellion.

Hidden Content:
    June 16th 2010 I predicted the Voice in the Darkness was the commanding force behind the Hybrids. I'm calling it half-right.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Clawfang View Post
    Not really, she wants them so they can't be used against her. Fairly simple and it makes perfect sense if she knows what they do.
    But when does she ever reveal that she knows what they do? If she'd come out with her motive during one of the last mission briefings we would at least be a lot more motivated to keep the artifacts from her. They are supposed to be aimed at her in the end anyway.

But even this still doesn't make up for all the TvZ missions we've done up to that point, without us having the FAINTEST idea on why to keep HER from them.

It's down to basic storytelling. You don't unveil everything, but you make sure some is unveiled little by little, yet in SC2 Kerrigans motives aren't unveiled at all during the entire campaign. All comes down to deduction during and AFTER the last mission has been done. Storytellingwise this is a fail.
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -
    BusinessMonkey - SC:Legacy

But when does she ever reveal that she knows what they do?
    Are you even bothering to read my posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Clawfang
    It is, just finished replaying the Moebius evacuation mission. Kerrigan says "I've seen through 'Doctor Narud's' pathetic charade. I know what the artifacts really are. And they will be mine!"
    There

It's down to basic storytelling. You don't unveil everything, but you make sure some is unveiled little by little, yet in SC2 Kerrigans motives aren't unveiled at all during the entire campaign. All comes down to deduction during and AFTER thelast mission has been done. Storytellingwise this is a fail.
    I find it hard to agree with you since your complaints can be chalked up to just not paying attention. You claim Kerrigan's motives are not unveiled. They are - she's seeking the artifacts because she knows what they can do and doesn't want her enemies to have that kind of power.
    Last edited by Drake Clawfang; 08-07-2010 at 04:54 AM.

I ARE A PROPHET! I've predicted three major aspects of SC2 correct, more or less.

June 2007 - I predicted the Protoss campaign would give you new tech as you conducted diplomacy among tribes.

Hidden Content:
    July 18th 2010 - I predicted Raynor would broadcast information of Mengsk's actions on Tarsonis to discredit him and incite rebellion.

Hidden Content:
    June 16th 2010 I predicted the Voice in the Darkness was the commanding force behind the Hybrids. I'm calling it half-right.

Are you even bothering to read my posts?

There

I find it hard to agree with you since your complaints can be chalked up to just not paying attention. You claim Kerrigan's motives are not unveiled. They are - she's seeking the artifacts because she knows what they can do and doesn't want her enemies to have that kind of power.
    Hehe Drake. It might be me using the wrong words or meaning to them, but it's not that I haven't read what you wrote. It's that Kerrigan says she knows what they do and the other will do with them, but she doesn't really reveal her purpose beside "keeping the artifacts from the others" in a way that would fit whatever she knows about the "whispers from the stars".

That's what I've trying to push this thread towards. Because Kerrigan always explained herself pretty well in SC1, which also made her sound very calculative, and that lack of strategic approach from her in SC2 ended up me puzzled about what her scopes are considering she also knows about the "whispers from the stars".
    To me somehow Kerrigan was really underrated in SC2. That Queen Bitch of the Universe is long gone I fear.

Sorry to not be too precise with the words.
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -

It's that Kerrigan says she knows what they do and the other will do with them, but she doesn't really reveal her purpose beside "keeping the artifacts from the others" in a way that would fit whatever she knows about the "whispers from the stars".
    Isn't that purpose enough? The artifacts can de-infest her, and if she knows it then she has every reason to keep Raynor or the Dominion or the Protoss from getting them.

Hidden Content:

Hidden Content:

I think a question that needs to be answered before this is what was Kerrigan doing in the 4 years of her absense?

She was at the height of power and didn't attack. She went away and just suddenly came back for absolutely no reason at all except to take the artifacts that Raynor had in possession (a result of Tychus' scheme to bring Raynor closer to Kerrigan)

This means Kerrigan had been actively searching for these artifacts in those 4 years. For what reason, I'm guessing we'll have to wait for HOTS to find out - or Blizzard will do away with the plot device like the LOST Smoke monster.

Isn't that purpose enough? The artifacts can de-infest her, and if she knows it then she has every reason to keep Raynor or the Dominion or the Protoss from getting them.
    The thing is, that we in the end don't really know anything about what Kerrigan knows (I mean in details), in order to understand her actions, which must follow some idea based on what she knows.

Only seeing her act in the way she does from what we're told during the campaign seems too superficial.

She knows about the "whispers from the stars", (which is the biggest SC2 plot, even though not the biggest in WoL), so why don't we see her act upon that at least? Zeratul does and remains the only connection plotwise between the Raynor Revolution, and the "whispers from the stars" plot.
    Problem is, WoL ends a part of the "whispers from the stars" plot, and not what we're told Raynor sets out with. Nothing is resolved in WoL, but the very unclear plot of Raynor loving Kerrigan.

I've just seen the Making Of, for the first time, and all I hear the writers talking about as the most important plot (especially metzen) is the Kerrigan/Raynor plot, but why aren't we then introduced better to this from the beginning.

I'd rather have the Flashback scene be the intro to SC2 than the sudden focus on Tychus.

All this contributes even more to water thin Kerrigan's role in WoL.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I think a question that needs to be answered before this is what was Kerrigan doing in the 4 years of her absense?

She was at the height of power and didn't attack. She went away and just suddenly came back for absolutely no reason at all except to take the artifacts that Raynor had in possession (a result of Tychus' scheme to bring Raynor closer to Kerrigan)

This means Kerrigan had been actively searching for these artifacts in those 4 years. For what reason, I'm guessing we'll have to wait for HOTS to find out - or Blizzard will do away with the plot device like the LOST Smoke monster.

The Zerg reveal video shows that. "They've evolved and prepared and the final metamorphosis is just begun." - Now what does that mean?
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -

I think you all are forgetting the simplest explanation...she's a woman, nobody knows what she wants

Well from her lines, i think she knows what the artifacts are capable of. So she probaly wanted them for 3 reasons:

- they are a threat to her and the zerg
    - they are a great weapon against the protoss
    - also a great weapon against the new hybrid threat

If those are not an enough reasons to go "active" after years of stalemate, i don't know what is.