Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does Kerrigan want the Artifacts?

Default Why does Kerrigan want the Artifacts?

So, I've been trying to see if there was a similar post somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it, which is strange since we here at SC:Legacy tend to cover more than enough on SC mysteries. Hehe.

Anyhoo, I've been wondering, why Kerrigan wants the Artifacts in the first place.

Does she know what they can do? And did she want them in order to use them herself or to destroy them? I can't remember if it's said during the campaign.

So basically she wants to use them or to destroy them (I can't see any other scenario), but how would any of those scenarios fit with the fact that she knows something is out there? (Dark Voice or Xel'Naga since in all her lines she doesn't say something that would point out which one.)

Hope I've found something worthy of discussion.
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -
    BusinessMonkey - SC:Legacy

Default Re: Why does Kerrigan want the Artifacts?

This bothered me as well. The only hint I puzzled in was the fact that her human self wanted it, and her Zerg self drives the broods to destroy the device which held the artifacts intact, and thus functional.

Then add in her little speech where she said she'd welcome destruction/death in that cinematic vs Zeratul.

Her hinting of knowing powers greater than her own means to me that somehow her Zerg self is somewhat tainted by what controlled Duran, who claims to serve this greater powers as well.

Then the overmind being not in total control of itself, having that as the reason why it attacked the Xel'Naga. And if that is some result of this greater power's motive to destroy the xel'naga, then perhaps she wanted it for some reason that would further the plans of this greater power(s).

Thus, she wanted it to prevent it's use.

But then, I have to go back and ask, why did she meet with Zeratul exactly? Did she get the chance to open the prophecies for herself? I think not, since only the preservers can translate them.

Thus, why was she there in the first place and not destroy Zeratul immediately but instead toyed with him? I say toyed because Zeratul spoke about it sometime along the mission. Or did I get that part wrong?

Anyway, if she did know the prophecy, then she'd know her part in it. Thus, she should have destroyed Zeratul right there and then, but instead she talked and as if she doesn't want any trouble and such.

This part is really confusing, and somewhat against itself.

"She" wants to destroy them, that is what she does once she can actually get access to it in the last mission.
    I say "she" because, as mentioned, Kerrigan is acting against her own interests in the WoL Campaign (she was entirely capable of being selfish in Broodwars) which suggests to me that she is being controled by the "big bad".

It still makes for a pretty big hole in some of the biggest character developments in the campaign.

What I think is that having and needing to unfold the WoL story and putting in the beginning to the rest of the trilogy in this first chapter, has been so problematic due to the need to try "delve" into every goddamn single nonlinear aspect of the game, that WoL is not capable of standing alone as a chapter, which again makes us feel confused and not nearly as satisfied as if we'd only focused on Raynor's fight vs. Mengsk.

Every single Blizz game I know, has always been a "stand-alone" this is the first time I see a Blizz game that doesn't feel like ending.

EDIT: I came to think, that instead of making the protoss minicampaign a part of the WoL campaign, they should have made that mini-campaign into the SCII DEMO or something, just like the SC1 demo about Chau Sara.
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -

In the final mission "All in" she will destroy them if you let her, not surround, or take them. She just destroys them. I guess Narud (Duran) was right, she really does fear their power.

I'd also like to add that accepting your fate doesn't mean you lay down and wait for it. Accepting your fate means you try without hope of succeeding. I don't really view her attempts to stop you as a plot hole.
    "Youíre an idiot, babe
    Itís a wonder that you still know how to breathe"
    -Robert Zimmerman

Starcraft Lore Timeline and Mysteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    In the final mission "All in" she will destroy them if you let her, not surround, or take them. She just destroys them. I guess Narud (Duran) was right, she really does fear their power.

I'd also like to add that accepting your fate doesn't mean you lay down and wait for it. Accepting your fate means you try without hope of succeeding. I don't really view her attempts to stop you as a plot hole.
    But it still doesn't make up for the lack of motivation she shows during the rest of the campaign.

I'm still wondering what the hell Kerrigan's been up to since BW. Just sitting by herself with her knees up to her head rocking back and fourth going: "There's something out there, there's something out there, there's something out there, there's something out there..."

And even though All in points towards something, it still doesn't show her motives. She doesn't explain herself like she's always done towards the end of every subplot in SC1. Kerrigan just doesn't feel like - in any way - like the Queen Bitch of the Universe from SC1.
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -

Quote Originally Posted by BusinessMonkey View Post
    Does she know what they can do? And did she want them in order to use them herself or to destroy them? I can't remember if it's said during the campaign.
    It is, just finished replaying the Moebius evacuation mission. Kerrigan says "I've seen through 'Doctor Narud's' pathetic charade. I know what the artifacts really are. And they will be mine!"
    SC2 handle - "DrakeyC, code 929"

I ARE A PROPHET! I've predicted three major aspects of SC2 correct, more or less.

June 2007 - I predicted the Protoss campaign would give you new tech as you conducted diplomacy among tribes.

Hidden Content:
    July 18th 2010 - I predicted Raynor would broadcast information of Mengsk's actions on Tarsonis to discredit him and incite rebellion.

Hidden Content:
    June 16th 2010 I predicted the Voice in the Darkness was the commanding force behind the Hybrids. I'm calling it half-right.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Clawfang View Post
    It is, just finished replaying the Moebius evacuation mission. Kerrigan says "I've seen through 'Doctor Narud's' pathetic charade. I know what the artifacts really are. And they will be mine!"
    ...mine for what? To destroy? And yet again... Why? Due to something we have to deduct ourselves after or during the last mission? It's too unclear to be proper motivational material storytelling wise.
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -

So Narud is duran.

I say toyed because Zeratul spoke about it sometime along the mission.
    Undoubtedly. It's almost as though she wanted him to get the information so he could translate it. But this would imply she already knew what they contained. Which wouldn't surprise me, seeing as how she already seems to have a deep understanding of what's going on here.

I keep feeling as though something has broken Kerrigan's spirit. She's become very nihilistic, almost lethargic in a way. When she observes her severed wing, all she does is smile. Might she already be battling something the others don't yet know, or found something Zeratul is unaware of? She already knows who and what Duran is, as well as his involvement with the Xel'Naga and Hybrids. I am really looking forward to HotS. I foresee some RPG-style flashback missions.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.