Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Jim Raynor just screw the universe?

Default Did Jim Raynor just screw the universe?

I have to ask. It took me a week to beat the campaign due to a persistent bug, so this might have been said before.

Zeratul said the Overmind had no will, but it created Kerrigan to circumvent that, in order to create a Swarm leader who had a will of her own. Yet Raynor rescued Kerrigan from the Swarm.

So that causes me to wonder... assuming Kerrigan doesn't lead the zerg again (doubtful, given what little we know of Heart of the Swarm), does that mean the zerg could still be controlled by the Dark Voice? Or would it just be a neutral player?
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Rezildur's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: Did Jim Raynor just screw the universe?

Here's what I think happened:

Overmind had no free will. So he made Kerrigan. Problem was, she was still infested with all that Zerg DNA which continued to make her act like an aggressive bitch -- just as the Overmind was.

The difference between the Overmind and Kerrigan is this: If they had used the Artifact on the Overmind it would have killed him -- just like it killed all of those other Zerg. Kerrigan is different, because she is part human, and so it probably neutralized whatever aggressive directive had been programmed into altering the Overmind and the Zerg.

Now, she is still a major psionic entity and still has some tie to the Zerg, so she has the ability to lead them freely without being a bitch, and accomplish something alongside the Protoss and the Terrans.

Nah, getting killed, having Kerrigan take over the swarm and be a huge jerk to everyone else in the galaxy, then having Kerrigan get de-infested is probably...JUST AS PLANNED so far!

As Tassadar crashed the Gantrithor into the Overmind, I kinda imagine the Overmind doing this:

The only place for a hamshank is on the dinner plate!

There's a reason why Edward Longshanks was an evil git in 'Braveheart'! Down with the shanks! All of them!

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    Zeratul said the Overmind had no will, but it created Kerrigan to circumvent that, in order to create a Swarm leader who had a will of her own. Yet Raynor rescued Kerrigan from the Swarm.

So that causes me to wonder... assuming Kerrigan doesn't lead the zerg again (doubtful, given what little we know of Heart of the Swarm), does that mean the zerg could still be controlled by the Dark Voice? Or would it just be a neutral player?
    Based on what we know about "Final Destination" everything is still moving acoording to the Dark Voice commandments. Hybrids have infiltrated the Dominion, the Zerg have lost their leader, and different factions and groups of people seem to support the Dark Voice. As Tosh said, Raynor has to be careful if he knows about the future, because so far there has been no change in the favour of life in StarCraft as we know it.

While the first part of the trilogy was a huge Blizzard cliche, the story is set for it to move in many directions.

For what we know there was a Dominion lab producing Hybrids, but we don't know who commanded such an investigation. Duran? Mengsk? Some other agent? Mengsk is unlikely under the control of the Voice in the Dark, he has a bold mind and he is a genious. Mangsk is no foul, but he might seek an alliance with a "mask" of some sort (lets say a guy comes to mengsk and offers him huge money profits in the exchange of a lab and a research team). Divide and conquer said someone a long time ago. Dividing the Terrans could probably be easier by just squishing some lemon on the open wounds. Mengsk VS Raynor is the main terran conflict at the moment and currently Raynor hates Mengsk an inch more because of the Hybrid Projects. It could be a project behind Mengsk back, but while it is still possible (Mengsk corrupt goverment was full of oficials who abused of their power and thier trust with Mengsk) Despite Mengsk's attempts at killing Kerrigan I believe it was for the best of his personal ego, and not a deal with the devil.

Kerrigan's deinfestation results are still unkown to us. Even if she is a powerful psionic does she still shares the mental channel with the Zerg? I'm certain the the Voice does, and probably he has influenced the Zerg all this time through this channel. According to Tassadar's return he is dwelling around the spirit of the Overmind, being a witness on the horrors of the its life. Even if Kerrigan can still control a brood of zerg, the voice has a clear advantage. Besides, we don't know when will Kerrigan recover her strenght to command armies once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezildur View Post
    Here's what I think happened:

Overmind had no free will. So he made Kerrigan. Problem was, she was still infested with all that Zerg DNA which continued to make her act like an aggressive bitch -- just as the Overmind was.

The difference between the Overmind and Kerrigan is this: If they had used the Artifact on the Overmind it would have killed him -- just like it killed all of those other Zerg. Kerrigan is different, because she is part human, and so it probably neutralized whatever aggressive directive had been programmed into altering the Overmind and the Zerg.

Now, she is still a major psionic entity and still has some tie to the Zerg, so she has the ability to lead them freely without being a bitch, and accomplish something alongside the Protoss and the Terrans.
    Zerg DNA is not the source of this evil, frenzy state in which Kerrigan was locked in. The problem was centered on their leaders. Zeratul also stated that the zerg were not always as aggressive as they are right now. Someone manipulated them far from what the Xel'naga desired. The Overmind created Kerrigan as a result of this visions of destruction, but was kerrigan free from a corruption? She was weak during her infestation, where she could have fallen to the commandments of the dark voice.
    Last edited by The_Blade; 08-04-2010 at 11:04 PM.

I think events are moving forward-almost paradoxically-to the benefit of both the Dark Voice, and all other living creatures. The Dark Voice wants Kerrigan dead, and just about the only way to do that is to uninfest her. Zeratul warned Raynor that he would hold Kerrigan's life in his hands, and he must not take it. Raynor couldn't possibly have the opportunity to kill Kerrigan if she weren't uninfested, so Zeratul knew about the future invasion of Char, and he didn't warn Raynor to uninfest Kerrigan. I think all Zerg serve a few fundamental rules which essentially make them evil, and uninfesting Kerrigan will allow her to circumnavigate that. I think she still have the capacity to control the Zerg though, just not as well. HoS will probably consist of you putting the Swarm back together and infesting subcommanders.
    "Youíre an idiot, babe
    Itís a wonder that you still know how to breathe"
    -Robert Zimmerman

Starcraft Lore Timeline and Mysteries.

if the overmind had no free will how could he create kerrigan...

meh all this lore sucks...the overmind was cool, never talked like he was a slave or anything

wht is the difference between cerebrates and kerrigan? kerrigan was made because she could control more of the swarm? -_-?
    Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    I want my name in bright yellow, to represent "Forum Douchebag."

Either Kerrigan will be in charge anyway despite regaining her humanity, or else we'll see a new leader appointed by the Dark Voice as the lead in HotS. Possibly Duran, but I'd love to see Tosh come back infested.

If it's the latter, then I think the game will end with Nova being infested on purpose to provide the Zerg direction. Notice that in the flash forward mission the Protoss heroes are talking about "The Queen of Blades". Never is she called Kerrigan. It could be that a Queen of Blades is needed to avert the prophesy, but who fills that role is irrelevant.

Dalarsco the protoss missions follow an alternate timeline where they couldn't get to kerrigan

I don't recall that ever being specified. All we know is that the final mission takes place far in the future, a future in which there is no Queen of Blades and the Zerg and Hybrids have wiped out all life with the exception of a handful of Protoss. They never specified exactly where the timeline splits off. It could be the point it which Raynor chooses to save her rather than kill her, or it could be some point in the future. I think the latter is more likely, because it doesn't make any sense to resolve the prophesy plotline so soon after introducing it.

It's a prophecy, not reality. That timeline may or may not be in the future