Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I had some bizarre placement matches

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default I had some bizarre placement matches

I know that with release we can expect a huge influx of newbs, but I've had some rather strange placement matches. Two of the guys just camped in their base for 15 minutes with nothing but a small force. I don't think they planned on moving out or scouting. But one of them tried secretly expanding to the gold. I found it and he lifted his CC away; he was probably thinking "well at least i tried, back to camping in my base".

Another guy Zerg rushed me, but I fended it off barely. Then he waited for 2 minutes, still had nothing but a pool in his base, and randomly called GG - probably because it's the only strat he knows.

Then another guy had like 80 buildings, but no units, just 2 cannons. And at the end he was like "you're not that good. i was eating". So I messaged him after saying "thanks for the free win - I'm sure I'll get placed in plat," and he responded by saying he doesn't know who I am.

But how did your guys' placement matches go?

Default Re: I had some bizarre placement matches

I went 4-1 and landed in Gold. It was mostly noobs and then one pretty good player who beat me.

I had one good match then a few others that were pretty easy for 1v1.

For 2v2 I was playing with a buddy that was new to the game (he didnt pay any attention to it prior to release to avoid spoilers, so he doesnt even know what things are) and we did pretty well. One of the games was pretty damned interesting.

I got hardcore cannon rushed and he just kept putting up pylons all over to keep the few powered. Fended it off fairly well but it threw me off. Then later in the game I scout his base and hes got like 50 warp gates and no units or expansions, so I think hes a noob. His ally was zerg and he had 3 bases at the time and almost no units, so I figured they were just bad players. I take this time to expand with my ally as we feel pretty safe, then about 5 minutes later I scout the rest of the map again (I had 2 obs patrolling their base) and the zerg has about 6 bases saturated and the protoss has about 10 proxy pylons up near us with his 1 base.

Turns out their strategy all along was to have the zerg just feed resources and the protoss just mass proxy warp. When he attacked he went down to like 50 supply, then he was instantly back up to 200 supply. Eventually we just got overrun.

Your source for sound, logical and reasonable responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Another guy Zerg rushed me, but I fended it off barely. Then he waited for 2 minutes, still had nothing but a pool in his base, and randomly called GG - probably because it's the only strat he knows.
    That really bugs the hell out of me. It wasn't a placement match but that has happened to me. It's like, why are you even playing?

But I am having a much easier time in release than I did in beta. That's not gonna last probably but I'm enjoying it while I can.

I got the opposite. Pretty good unranked people, or Bronze players that had quite good skill. I ended in Bronze, but at least now i'm in Silver again after wining against a Platinum player in Scrap Station, and earning the 5-wins-in-a-row archivement

The matchmaker is still very messed-up. I played against quite bad Gold and quite good Bronze. I mean, the Gold player didn't even scouted my base at the beginning of the game, nor closed the entrance (and went for air units), and tried to build "secret" expansions in Metalopolis (not even inside a main, to be able to close-in). Maybe they went overconfident against a Bronze player.

diddlydo's Avatar Junior Member

I went 3-2 placed gold, i had a brutal back and forth tvt which i barley scraped a win off of. My opponent promptly said bg, and messaged me afterwards to let me know i was a terrible player.

They were pretty decent in my case, but lacked the knowledge to wall off against Zerg. This one terran guy was sweet as he fended off a muta rush at 7:30, and countered with MM drop. It was impossible to go against my muta 7:30 through the front gate since crawlers are there.

Anyway, I had luck playing with good players, and then after the placements had a chance to take on two bases in 3v3, and done some nasties with banelings in 1v1.

They seem to be new in SC2, but have good sense of the game. In a couple of days or hours maybe, these people will just shoot straight up to platinum.

To people even call GG in other games?
    I find it odd that someone who says "gg" (hence, who isn't completely new to video games alltogether), wouldn't be able to do a bit better than what gradius described above...

I did my 5 placement matches on a guest pass, since I had already finished the campaign on it, and as expected the place is swarming with new players. I rolled 5 guys (probably got lucky though, back in beta I usually played at least one guy who was matched or much better). I can't remember the specifics, but there were some who had no idea what was going on (I mean in their own bases, like they were probably reading tooltips or something), others who seemed to be vaguely copper-silver but just didn't have the builds or timings down, and one guy who didn't have much experience playing, but definitely had game knowledge (maybe from replays or something). He asked me a few questions about builds then gg'ed. He'll surely climb into higher leagues quickly with that motivation.

I'm still just goofing off in practice league.

I had strange games in both 2v2 and 1v1. In 2v2 I ahd a terran ally who tole me to rush a double zerg. He then stayed on one base and randomnly made small numbers of rines. One of the enemy dropped and the other tried a weird bling break. he sent htem in 1 by 1 then sent in mass lings. Then just kept making lings which my igniter hellions roasted to doom.

For 1v1 I ran into 1 base muta. Must have been a BW player. He let my force come in and take out his first sunken then pulled out his mutas.. took out my initial force but I just built more thors and slaughtered him.