Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mutalisk and tanks changes

Default Re: Mutalisk and tanks changes

I don't get that tank "overshooting" thing. Whats the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Twilice View Post
    I don't get that tank "overshooting" thing. Whats the difference?
    In BW, if there is a cluster of tanks and you run a few small quick units ahead of your army the entire cluster will shoot at those units.

In SC2, if there is a cluster of tanks and you run a few small quick units ahead of your army only the amount needed to kill the units will shoot at those units.

Your source for sound, logical and reasonable responses.

As TRD said, if you have 5 Tanks, and one is killing the Marine in one shot, if you attack that Marine with all 5 Tanks, only one will shoot, leaving others to shoot elsewhere.

With good control, shift+queue, you can snipe out Templars in whole Protoss army, without them being able to cast a thing.
    "Living for the Swarm!"

But Ramiz, that doesn't only work with shift-queing. If one unit gets in the range of 10 tanks at the same time (placed in an arc for the sake of this example), only one will shoot. Back in broodwar they would all shoot at the same time. That was one of the only ways to break a TvT tank barricade...
    Shift-attacking isn't necessary for smart-shooting.
    This makes a surprisingly large difference in battle.

Yes this makes tank mech (still its nowhere op, god I love how things in asia like zerg is op there but up here) so much stronger, blizzard did the damage decrease tough so tank isn't really that much powerful in it self, its just that many old strategies to deal with it has decreased.

Things like drops or zealot for breaking tank lines

This make spectator so much less desirable

However I feel like its the new age of technology playing in and blizzard isn't doing anything wrong its just that removing a mechanic seems so much more heavy then changing a stat I therefor opened this discussion to get the viewpoints on these mechanic changes

Ah Terran death pushes who doesn't love them?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
    But Ramiz, that doesn't only work with shift-queing. If one unit gets in the range of 10 tanks at the same time (placed in an arc for the sake of this example), only one will shoot. Back in broodwar they would all shoot at the same time. That was one of the only ways to break a TvT tank barricade...
    Shift-attacking isn't necessary for smart-shooting.
    This makes a surprisingly large difference in battle.
    Yes it does if it really is that way. Someone showed the Video of Shift+queuing and I thought it only work that way. Otherwise it really is retarded and too strong.

Yes this makes tank mech (still its nowhere op, god I love how things in asia like zerg is op there but up here) so much stronger, blizzard did the damage decrease tough so tank isn't really that much powerful in it self, its just that many old strategies to deal with it has decreased.

Things like drops or zealot for breaking tank lines
    But you can't compare things like "Yeah they implemented this, so they are stronger, but they lowered their damage so they are ok now"...
    I mean, they lowered their damage, because unlike in SC1, they do 50 Damage to ALL kinds of units, so they are much much stronger than SC1 Tanks vs. Small units, especially since Splash is much better and little worse vs. big, armored units. And things like Drop, and Zealots with Charge still works, you just need to have greater numbers of them and not clumps together, which of course is hard.

"still its nowhere op, god I love how things in asia like zerg is op there but up here" Hm, maybe because they didn't know to play them here, and watching Vods from that time(when Zerg was OP in Asia, now Terran is OP there...), they did play better than our Zergs.
    Last edited by RamiZ; 07-31-2010 at 05:53 AM.
    "Living for the Swarm!"

Hm, but doesn't ALL units have this smart-shooting now?

Quote Originally Posted by RamiZ View Post
    Yes it does if it really is that way. Someone showed the Video of Shift+queuing and I thought it only work that way. Otherwise it really is retarded and too strong.
    Well no it's not too strong. Tanks aren't too strong. It's just a dumbed down mechanic that's uninteresting.
    I'm assuming they do, but that's not really a big deal since only the dank deals such insane damage, in splash, with such a long cooldown.

Any unit that doesnt have travel time for their weapon has smart shooting. Marauders dont have smart shooting for example, as their grenade has a travel time.

Tanks are just a lot better in SC2 for a lot of reasons.

1st: They deal full damage to everything
    2nd: Smart shooting
    3rd: Units tend to cluster into a ball instead of travel in a line, which makes their splash that much more painful

I am not looking forward to the days of terran slow pushing with clusters of tank/marine/viking (and maybe some raven auto turret annoying harassment). It has to be coming soon (jinro has done some slow pushing, but he generally leapfrogs and doesnt cluster tanks).

Your source for sound, logical and reasonable responses.