Thread: My nit picks

Default My nit picks

Now this is my opinion, overall I love this game and must admit its easier to point out the faults then the rights
    and it must be said that this is only the first campaign and it was a great stepping point but liberty in its own well...
    these where my biggest problems regarding campaign and story telling

The most glaring fault as I saw it

Was the shiny graphics/models and non interesting characters

it felt like I was playing red alert 3
    Even the last mission was incredible shiny

The only terrain settings that worked was the desert setting (which looks great I might add)

To sum up the model problems

- What is with hero units being bigger? This ruined just about everything aesthetically, only zeratul looked good (The oversized carrier in zeratuls mission make a good example)

- Everything is a toy and looks well.. dumb, doesn't look serious
    The best example of this is some of the old sc1 units in sc2 like the Goliath

Remember the cinematic on the arigo? The science vessel in starcraft1? It wooped the floor with all the sc2 cinematics

Don't get me wrong, sc2 had its good moments like tosh (throwing around tychus was hilarious) and matt about his wife

But... hmm well you can best put it like this:

Try to imagine the starcraft1 ending with De Gaulle

Now picture that with starcraft2 graphics

In my opinion it just doesn't compare
    Comparing the kerrigan model is a good example as well

All of this annoys me because it feels like something better could have been done

Just one or two dirt/crap layers over and don't make the colors so damn shiny

And just stop with the fiddling with models the most shown, the most iconic starcraft unit the MARINE was just utter terrible in starcraft2
    even in cinematic he looks like a toy, if there were somewhere where they dropped the ball on units, it was the marine
    Now I might be too harsh here, Or I might be too nit picky but the marine is truly the starcraft mascot and most iconic unit and therefor really needed more attention.
    Again the arigo science vessel is a good example
    The marines all had different colors on their suits and they were surprisingly more detailed (not pure graphics detailed but they got more stuff on them and so forth)

In sc2 the marines feel like stormtroppers in the cinematics, the whole ''we lost so many'' in the end with lots of marines looking about and on the dead didn't really do anything for me not at all like the marine looking upwards against the battlecruiser, slowly drifting off

Comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFARMkSPAok&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdhxw...eature=related

One is from 98

One is from 2010

Now before I talk here, this cinematic actually made me care about raynor, care a little but the marines I couldn't give a rat ass about compared to the one from 98
    (Remember this is the marine part of the discussion hehe)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

For storytelling and immersion

Why didn't we get to spend any time with the crew? No backstory on tychus in the game
    Nothing on tosh

And the whole news thing while hilarious at times felt a little poorly, I could completely disregard mengsk until the hologram with valarian

At the end I was going ''I don't give a flying fuck about this sector, I am going to bills gas and grub''

In starcraft1 there were many characters adding to the suspension like duke, fenix, De Gaulle AND stukov, zaaz, overmind, dagoth, tassadar, the one in the conclave, artanis, razgal, zeratul and so forth.

In starcraft 2 we have: Valarian, the protoss chick, the doctor, tosh, nova, the scientist oh wait... all of these had like 3 minutes of real screen time yet many were very interesting (tosh especially)

When it gets down to it we have: Tychus, the mechanich bowler (God I can't remember names 5 minutes ago) and uhh uhhh the fanatic protoss guy?
    Now I am going to throw in the general and valarius for terrible terrible damage and one guy who actually felt mysterious and wanted me to know more (Stupid haircut ruins a lot tough) But of course I know I am missing someone, but just that shows how little I cared about the new cast... and its not just because of me its because how little chance I got to care about them

Mengsk small putrid appearances sums this part of my nitpicks up
    Even tough the gettysburg scene was strong they should have shown some cinematics about the other sides, like mengsk in his palace and so on.
    There is no character building in liberty it feels

Lets compare mengsk to his news appearances in sc2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8mmX...eature=related

I thought raynor would make this comeback later on, but no he does it before the first mission.
    It didn't feel like I was building up a rag tag army avoiding the dominion before I was strong enough.
    Just felt like I could go anywhere

To more sum it up

'' As one guy said: This game should be rated E for everyone''

Ps

Overall I loved this game, it is incredible but it has glaring issues and those where the one I mentioned
    Do not think me as starcraft 2 hater I will defiantly recommend this to my friends... oh wait they play wow

But ye overall this game was great, Just some issues on the storytelling part
    but we'll see what blizzard has in store for us, I really hope this was just a stepping stone and we'll see a more story involving game in heart of the swarm'

Pss.

I now remember its the amerigo not arigo amrigo or whatever I said :P
    Last edited by userstupidname; 07-28-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Default Re: My nit picks

Quote Originally Posted by userstupidname View Post
    In sc2 the marines feel like stormtroppers in the cinematics, the whole ''we lost so many'' in the end with lots of marines looking about and on the dead didn't really do anything for me not at all like the marine looking upwards against the battlecruiser, slowly drifting off

Now before I talk here, this cinematic actually made me care about raynor, care a little but the marines I couldn't give a rat ass about compared to the one from 98
    (Remember this is the marine part of the discussion hehe)
    I'm not sure why you're dissatisfied, since you yourself pointed out the difference. The Brood War cinematic was about that Marine. Feeling for him was important. The SC2 cinematic was not about that Marine. Feeling for him was not important.

Could that particular cinematic have impacted us even more if we'd seen that guy before and felt bad about his death? Perhaps. But that's really neither here nor there. All cinematics can always be improved (even if only by making it longer ).

In starcraft1 there were many characters adding to the suspension like duke, fenix, De Gaulle AND stukov, zaaz, overmind, dagoth, tassadar, the one in the conclave, artanis, razgal, zeratul and so forth.

In starcraft 2 we have: Valarian, the protoss chick, the doctor, tosh, nova, the scientist oh wait... all of these had like 3 minutes of real screen time yet many were very interesting (tosh especially)
    Not very fair to count Brood War, an expansion, when WOL doesn't have an expansion of its own, now, is it?

T- Raynor, Kerrigan, Mengsk, Duke
    Z- Overmind, Kerrigan
    P- Tassadar, Zeratul, Aldaris, Fenix

T- Raynor, Kerrigan, Tychus, Matt, Swann, Tosh, Hanson, Mengsk, Valerian, Warfield
    Z- Kerrigan
    P- Zeratul

10 vs. 12 in favor of SC2. (If you start counting Zazz and Daggoth, I'm gonna count Selendis and Artanis and Kate Lockwell and so on and so forth ). Your argument is a lot stronger if you only stick to depth, not quantity.

There's definitely interesting threads about these characters left hanging that could have been addressed. Why did Tychus take the rap for Raynor? It seemed like they were making it out to be a big deal, then there's no explanation so we're left to assume he's just a good guy. Yeah, right. Tychus would go to New Folsom for someone else. Uh-huh. Tosh said Dr. Hanson was somehow 'special' which is why the Zerg descended on Agria first. What happened here? And is Tosh as crazy as Nova claims? Does he have darker secrets?

All of these things could have been explored and maybe made for a richer tale. But if you think SC1 was better than this, you're letting nostalgia cloud your judgment. How did Mengsk recruit Kerrigan? What has Mengsk been doing, exactly, since his rebellion started? Who did Duke defend Tarsonis from multiple times? Where did Zeratul and the Dark Templar come from, and what are they even all about? Some of these went on to be addressed in BW (or books, etc). The same will inevitably come of SC2.

Lets compare mengsk to his news appearances in sc2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8mmX...eature=related
    I don't know what you're complaining about here. Last we saw Mengsk in Brood War, he was beyond pathetic. That they managed to return him to the charismatic gentleman we know and love to hate is quite an accomplishment. And if you're looking for stand-out moments for him, there are two that come readily to mind -- when he is first asked by Donnie Vermillion, in an interview, about the 'convenience' of the Zerg attack and goes on an epic rant that easily compares with anything from SC1 ("Billions of lives were lost and you speak to me of convenience?!"); and when he is hassled by Kate Lockwell and calls the crowd "jackals" before storming off. Beautiful scenes. Though I can't disagree that it would have been nice to see more of him, or other characters, away from Raynor.

It didn't feel like I was building up a rag tag army avoiding the dominion before I was strong enough.
    Just felt like I could go anywhere
    Then why didn't you just invade Korhal, or invade Char, in mission 5?

The characters might not be saying it very explicitly, but the subtext is there. They're only able to do everything they're doing because the Zerg start going crazy. Notice how it's only when Valerian comes to the rescue with an entire fleet of Dominion ships that you actually "do" anything.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7699/commun1.png

Quote Originally Posted by pure.Wasted View Post
    Then why didn't you just invade Korhal, or invade Char, in mission 5?

The characters might not be saying it very explicitly, but the subtext is there. They're only able to do everything they're doing because the Zerg start going crazy. Notice how it's only when Valerian comes to the rescue with an entire fleet of Dominion ships that you actually "do" anything.
    I think what's being meant is that you don't really feel as though the Dominion (or anyone else for that matter) is particularly breathing down Raynor's neck. For an underdog, he sure is kicking a lot of butt across the galaxy with little to no repercussions. It would have added significantly to the experience he had to face some repercussions once in awhile (e.g. at the end of each story branch).

For instance, have a space chase after breaking out of New Folsom, getting hunted down by Dominion forces after the stunt you pull at Korhal or be accused of genocide after you eradicate the colony at Haven (or alternatively, have to fend off Dominion forces to maintain its independence).

That said, the campaign was fairly enjoyable as is though adding these little touches would have contributed greatly to the overall atmosphere.
    Last edited by mr. peasant; 07-30-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
    I think what's being meant is that you don't really feel as though the Dominion (or anyone else for that matter) is particularly breathing down Raynor's neck. For an underdog, he sure is kicking a lot of butt across the galaxy with little to no repercussions. It would have added significantly to the experience he had to face some repercussions once in awhile (e.g. at the end of each story branch).

For instance, have a space chase after breaking out of New Folsom, getting hunted down by Dominion forces after the stunt you pull at Korhal or be accused of genocide after you eradicate the colony at Haven (or alternatively, have to fend off Dominion forces to maintain its independence).

That said, the campaign was fairly enjoyable as is though adding these little touches would have contributed greatly to the overall atmosphere.
    Ah. Yes, if that's the point, then I agree whole-heartedly. In fact I said something along very similar lines in my own review thread. It does indeed remove quite a bit of tension if he automatically succeeds at everything he does.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7699/commun1.png

Ye you made really good points, peasant answered the main thing nicely tough :P I can't really disagree on the characters tough as its just plain facts and I should have revised it more, so what I am really going to say is that I just care so much less for the sc2 cast.

But also keep in mind that sc2 was just some short missions on all of the starcraft 1 missions

And the one who I knew there and grew with had much more impact then those in sc2.

A lack of character story and progression is my main focus so to speak

However about the marine I am sorry I admit I rushed this a little, but I was focusing more on the marine look rather then the cinematic.

And its how the video contributed to that marine in my opinion does not look on par in starcraft 2 (except ultra quality tychus suit etc.) and the new marine suit make them look expendable especially shown in the cinematic, drawing down the whole feel.

Its how the new suit and marine look as a whole but also shows how it impacted on the cinematic