Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Easiest" and/or most disappointing game...

Default "Easiest" and/or most disappointing game...

Okay, rather than stink up Gifted's 'hardest game' thread, I'll start a new one on a similar subject......How about the "easiest" time you ever had playing a major title? - Now, I don't mean some 12th party, 'no-name' mess that you blasted through with your 'game genie' or even one that everyone and his brother also found particularly easy. I mean a legitimate title that you were able to race through with ease while your friends were perhaps all still left struggling, swearing and biting controllers in the wake of yer advanced skillz. :

On a semi-related note, how about the big game(s) that for whatever reason, may have left you particularly disappointed; That one game (or games) you were expecting huge things from and....pffff....nuthin.

Easy:

Mega Man 3 - (NES) - finished the whole thing in about 6 hours of straight play…...no exaggeration. Friends of mine were on that thing for weeks.

Battle of Olympus (NES) Okay, so not a 'major' title, but…...A clear ripoff of, 'Adventures of Link' - Should have been great - looked nice, sounded nice, still holds a special place in my heart actually……but compared to Link, disappointingly easy.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Still a good game in my book, but I really feel the 3rd person view changed the game too much. Usually, in a Zelda game, you are guaranteed to run into some ridiculous puzzle, dungeon or enemy that completely drives you nuts while figuring it out. Anyway, while still nicely paced, (and some pretty difficult side-games) that moment never came for me in OoT - Still better than a lot of games out there, but I have to say, the Zelda difficulty level took a little slide backward on the N64.

Command and Conquer: Generals: Something about this game keeps me coming back, (and itself out of the disappointing pile) but the easiest single-player in the history of single-player. I only had to restart the final, "China' mission like, once. Was even able to beat skirmishes on 'hard' my first time out. (Which I usually cant do until I've become somewhat familiar with the game) I know some people don't like it, but the 'Zero Hour' expansion was a huge improvement….or at least more challenging.

Disappointing:

Castlevania IV - (SNES) - Despite the miserable hours of torture the original game provided me, I would be at the game store, wide-eyed, and waving my money in the air like an idiot within hours of a new release. That is, up until the day I bought this dumbed-down mess. Finished it in 3 afternoons…..I think I restarted the 'Dracula' level maybe once. There has never been a Castlevania that even comes close to the difficulty of the original three IMO. (Well, 1 and 3 anyway.)

Return to Castle Wolfenstein - This ones right on the fence. Was waiting for this game big time. I don't understand it; looked great, sounded great, and had some classic moments, but just didn't deliver for me. Plus, the final boss was dead in no time at all…..who the hell gives the player all the room in the world to move in a final FPS boss level, and on top of it, gives him a hiding place where the boss cant enter, yet can be sniped mercilessly? Sheesh - I cant remember a single moment of trouble in that game.

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos - Thass right, I said it. Now, I have long since changed my mind, (especially since SC2 was announced) and have completely done a 180 on WC, but at the time, (2002?) I simply hated this game to death - My fault really; I was trying to play it like Starcraft 'not-in' space. I quickly got frustrated with the low population and 'upkeep' BS, the overly ornate spells continually blocking vision of my units. - Cheesy game engine cutscenes instead of the beautiful fully rendered graphics - For these reasons, WC3 ended up gathering a little dust on my shelf for like 2-3 years. One day, however, I decided to give it another run, and here we are today - One of my favorite games.

I'll add more as they come back to me.
    "Wait.....no Gzhee-Gzhee.....?.....whu......Why no Ghzhee-Gzhee?!?!?!?!"

RIP - Leslie Nielsen

Default Re: "Easiest" and/or most disappointing game...

Zelda Twilight Princess fits nicely into both of those, not only was it retarded easy it was also a disappointment.

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by screw_ball69 View Post
    Zelda Twilight Princess fits nicely into both of those, not only was it retarded easy it was also a disappointment.
    I must disagree, yes it was easy but not as disappointing as you call it. Plot was great and well yea they took most of the ideas out of Metroid Prime echoes, but still the plot was unique and good in its own way.

On a side note, you must complete it in a 100% in order to call it a finished game.

Now my own easy games:
    -Age of mithology Titan (no cheats)
    -Metroid series
    -Guitar Hero/rockband series (expert)

Dissapointing:
    -Supreme Commander
    -Universe at war
    Last edited by The_Blade; 11-23-2009 at 09:48 PM.

HA! - One of the reasons I didn't include 'Doom 3' in the disappointed pile - Never finished.....How can a game that looks that good be that boring to play...?
    "Wait.....no Gzhee-Gzhee.....?.....whu......Why no Ghzhee-Gzhee?!?!?!?!"

RIP - Leslie Nielsen

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban113 View Post
    HA! - One of the reasons I didn't include 'Doom 3' in the disappointed pile - Never finished.....How can a game that looks that good be that boring to play...?
    Took me three months to finish Doom 3. It was really good looking, but the gameplay was meh. I kept playing a couple hours, then stopping for a few weeks. Then remembering how pretty it looks. In the end I forced myself to finish it so I can remove the shortcut from my desktop.

A big disappointment for me was Need for Speed Prostreet. I was a huge fan of the old NFS games ( Hot Pursuit and High Stakes ), also liked Most Wanted. But when I played the demo for Prostreet, all I could say was: WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!! I haven't touched a NFS title since.

Another case of bad sequel: Carmageddon 3.
    I loved Carmageddon 2 and played it constantly for years. Then Carmageddon TDR2000 came out, and I thought HELL YEAH! Played the demo and I couldn't believe the pile of poo it became. They haven't made any more, so there.
    Last edited by Freespace; 11-23-2009 at 09:56 PM.
    - You've seen StarCraft: First Contact -

- Now, prepare for the Final Metamorphosis -

Mega man 3 is hardly an easy game

hmm easiest game... I know I finished a lot of games in a couple of hours but I can't think of much atm except portal. Yoshi Story (N64) was also pretty freaking easy. Others I can think of: Felix the cat (NES), every kirby games.

Biggest disappointments:
    -Megaman 64 and Megaman X7: Well they failed porting the games in 3D but at least they got it right with Megaman X8

-Kirby air ride: wtf was that... I love kirby games and was expecting this to be pretty decent but I was terribly wrong.

- Zelda Wind Waker: Game was fun but it was a disappointment for me because of how childish the art style was. I forgive Nintendo because of twilight princess.

-Final Fantasy Dissidia: I hate the gameplay. They could have just made a normal fighting game maybe like Super Smash or Soul Calibur but instead they made this thing with bravery and craps. Why SquareEniX? This could seriously have been my all time favourite fighting game since I just love FF games.

- Duke Nukem forever: Disappointment for obvious reasons

Anyone know or remember the Star Control series? If I had to pick a game that was really disappointing, it would have to be the third game.

The first game was alright, didn't have a real plot, missions and the mechanic behind it was relatively simple, what, with player taking turns moving your ship like a chess piece and all that. And then you have the melee combat, the bread and butter of the series.

The second game is what made the series so legendary, as you now have a very serious story, a nice mix between exploration and adventure and action all rolled into one, great music, new races to play around with, etc, etc, etc. You get your own ship which initially starts off pathetic, yet as you gain more resources and new technology, your ship would end up becoming the biggest terror in space. Pretty difficult, especially since it's almost literally you against the universe till you manage to find some allies. Then Star Control 3 comes along and stank that all up.

Replace hand drawn pictures of aliens with ugly animatronics, replace cool music with the most boring BGM you can come up with, screw up the story, make the star map more confusing to look at, screw up the melee balance, etc, etc, etc. Having been on a high from completing the second game, the third one didn't live up to the Star Control name.

Informational opinion: I predict this thread will become rather disrespectful by page 2 or 3. Here's to hoping that I'm wrong. ^_^

@Caliban:

About Legend of Zelda: OoT: I can see where you got the impression it was significantly easier. I remember thinking that and making up a challenge mode for myself by bypassing all the heart containers in the game. I also did whatever I could to penalize myself. Bypassing items if they weren't required... wearing Iron Boots 100% of the time when they were poor, etc. (Made the water temple a pain) But it made the game significantly more satisfying.

Regarding PORTAL: Alright, I love this game to death. I think it's fantastic. I found it satisfying. But I have to take a step back and consider the odds that it can be beat by a 3 year old. (My son beat it at the age of 3.) Just a random thought to chuckle about.
    Last edited by Gifted; 11-23-2009 at 10:11 PM.
    Please be aware of the SC:L Posting Rules and Guidelines.

If I were you, I'd look at these links. You might even follow or like them or something...

StarCraft: Legacy: Like us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter - Subscribe to our Youtube channel
    Legacy Observer: Watch live on Twitch.tv - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Subscribe to Youtube Channel

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    - Zelda Wind Waker: Game was fun but it was a disappointment for me because of how childish the art style was. I forgive Nintendo because of twilight princess.
    Zelda the wind waker was a great game plotwise, but yea graphics where childish. Still, I believe it won't fit in the harcore zelda graphics that where part of OoT and TP.

Quote Originally Posted by AegisKHAOS View Post
    Anyone know or remember the Star Control series? If I had to pick a game that was really disappointing, it would have to be the third game.

The first game was alright, didn't have a real plot, missions and the mechanic behind it was relatively simple, what, with player taking turns moving your ship like a chess piece and all that. And then you have the melee combat, the bread and butter of the series.

The second game is what made the series so legendary, as you now have a very serious story, a nice mix between exploration and adventure and action all rolled into one, great music, new races to play around with, etc, etc, etc. You get your own ship which initially starts off pathetic, yet as you gain more resources and new technology, your ship would end up becoming the biggest terror in space. Pretty difficult, especially since it's almost literally you against the universe till you manage to find some allies. Then Star Control 3 comes along and stank that all up.

Replace hand drawn pictures of aliens with ugly animatronics, replace cool music with the most boring BGM you can come up with, screw up the story, make the star map more confusing to look at, screw up the melee balance, etc, etc, etc. Having been on a high from completing the second game, the third one didn't live up to the Star Control name.
    You can replace "Star Control" with "Master of Orion", and it's the same story.
    - You've seen StarCraft: First Contact -

- Now, prepare for the Final Metamorphosis -