Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: StarCraft economy (real-life)

Default Re: StarCraft economy (real-life)

Achievements! Social Networking!

oh and the ability to play competively if thats the kinda thing your into...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    Blizzard once said (when asked about StarCraft 64) that they have no way of tracking sales they made that way.

Anyway, by this point, while a few people are buying Battle Chests, sales of StarCraft I and Brood War are just gravy. Blizzard probably doesn't expect to make real money off those games anymore, so they might as well give it away.

EA is actually giving away slightly older games for free, too. They gave away three games, sold in 1995, 1996 and I don't know about the third one.
    While I'll agree that the 20-40 million a year they make from legacy titles is really just "gravy on top", accounting for 2-4% of their total sales, it isn't just a "few people" still buying them, as the battle chests for all blizzard games have remained on a prime position on store shelves since their release, and have made Amazons top 20 list every single year since their release, even placing on the top 10 list occasionally.

Progenitor's Avatar Junior Member

I am amazed that after 12 years blizzard is still making more copies of these games and they are still selling well.
    BANELINGS!

So Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne sold 2M more copies than Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos.

.... Didn't you need to Reign of Chaos to play Frozen Throne?

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
    So Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne sold 2M more copies than Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos.

Also, Diablo II is listed as having 4 million sales, but is placed in front of WC3 TFT which has 5 million sales.

...but the colors sure are neat.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7699/commun1.png

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

There are possible reasons for this. Perhaps many people pirate the original, then install a retail version of FT to play online.

People lose their key.

Etc.

I don't know about the top-selling games of all time list...

I really don't think Nintendo dominates it that much. I'm just speculating, but I know way more people who have purchased Call of Duty games, GTA games, WoW games, etc... than all of those Nintendo titles.

I know younger kids gets those, but a lot of younger kids also get Call of Duty and such, but maybe I'm wrong. Plus, Wii Sports came free with most Wii's and therefore cannot count as a "sell" in regards to top-selling games...

I think this whole thing needs some editing.

What you said about the Wii Sports is more than likely why the other ones are up on the list as well. All of those Nintendo games came bundled with with a product of some kind as well. It is a slightly deceptive way to record all time sales but alot of music companies do it as well. For instance a few years ago Prince sold his album into the cost of his concert tour, and since alot of people went to see Prince it looked like his album was selling well, even though it wasn't. But still the original Super Mario Bros. was so good it prolly would have made the list w/o being bundled in.
    I realize that I change my signature often. All I can say to that is: SO??? HAI FIVE!! (*・∀・)/♡\(・∀・*)

If you like anyone's post, be sure to give them additional rep.

dustinbrowder's Avatar Banned

nice, but not the most accurate!

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    There are possible reasons for this. Perhaps many people pirate the original, then install a retail version of FT to play online.

People lose their key.

Etc.
    You need both keys to play online.

And I doubt more people lose their tft key than people lose their roc key.......

There's either something else going on, or the numbers are just plain wrong (which seems highly likely).