Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worse air-to-air unit in SC History

Scar's Avatar Junior Member

Default Worse air-to-air unit in SC History

So, our air-to-air units have not always been the best in the SC franchise.

We have had scourge, valk, devourer, sair, phoenix, and corrupter.

I think valk was the best and devourer was the worst. It actually may have been one of the worst units of the game (although I still want it and the guardian back, Blizzard, for some old time fun). Phoenix seems about as useful as the sair was, which isn't saying much. Both have a pretty useful ability. Corrupter is an improvement on devourer. Scourge had a simple job at a low cost that I think it did well.

Anyone else have thoughts?

EDIT: Title of this thread should read worst.
    Last edited by Scar; 07-14-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Typo

Default Re: Worse air-to-air unit in SC History

I'd actually like to see a scourge version of the brood lord that creates scourge and throws them like broodlings. But it isn't going to happen.

I’m sorry but... at how high a level did you play BroodWar and how many Pro games have you watched... Sair’s usefulness isn’t saying much? Devourer the worst? Valk the best? You’re opinion is very misguided. I suggest you do a bit more searching and I think you’ll find the Sair is fundamental to all modern PVZ builds. The Devourer, whilst rare to see, was NEEDED to help support a large muta force vs Protoss air or Bc’s from Terran- they are support units, not the fleet themselves. As for Valks... there has yet to be a solid build where they are effective (nobody say “Fansaty Build” That was a one trick pony) - they are very expensive, have a large build time and only take two scourge to take out- and they can’t dodge them as they’re too slow. You need to hit a very high critical mass with them... but by then you’ve been over run on the ground.

Back with all gun's blazing.

Valkyries weren't really that great mostly because they were glitchy, and I think they were a bit pricey for what they did.

I agree that the devourer was probably the worst ata, followed by the scout. Corsair/Wraith were pretty good. Scourge were ok.

I think the Corsair should rank higher and the Valkyrie should rank lower. The Corsair had a use beyond just attacking light air; the Valkyrie did not.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

The scout was entirely the worst A-2-A unit in Starcraft. The corsair did a better job versus most things and was much cheaper and faster. I don't think I've ever seen a scout used in a pro match but maybe once, as a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Phoenix seems about as useful as the sair was, which isn't saying much. Both have a pretty useful ability.
    Phoenix is extremely useful in so many situations that I'd rather not include them all in one post, however just to put one example: picking up sieged tanks.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Phoenix seems about as useful as the sair was, which isn't saying much.
    Screw you dude. Seriously, screw you. I made a fruit smoothie and I just spewed it all over the place. Thanks a lot. Now my keyboard is sticky and my clothes are stained.

Give me fair warning next time you want to say something so hilarious

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

I don't really agree with you.
    Valks glitch so much and are pretty expensive for just being a support AtA unit.

The people I've played with who use Sairs completely own the air and use them as great support unit when against ground units. In my opinion, they had a much better use than Valks.

Regarding the Devourer, I agree with Zabimaru. Devourers are pretty darn useful when they support Mutas.
    Last edited by SonOfChaos; 07-14-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Yours Truly,
    SonOfChaos

Quote Originally Posted by TychusFindlay View Post
    Screw you dude. Seriously, screw you. I made a fruit smoothie and I just spewed it all over the place. Thanks a lot. Now my keyboard is sticky and my clothes are stained.

Give me fair warning next time you want to say something so hilarious
    What he said ^