Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoying strategy TvZ,vP and why can SCVS be attacked while building?

Default Annoying strategy TvZ,vP and why can SCVS be attacked while building?

I don't know who's idea is it to make SCVs attackable as they build buildings, then nerf their hp. It doesn't make sense. Protoss can warp in, and leave to mine. Drones get a 50mineral cost reduction. But SCVs, you not only spend not mining but actually be able to be attacked while building.

The idea is novel, but I've only see 1 area where this actually adds to the gameplay - early drone/probe scout harass to slow down building or weaken early economy.

With a little bit of micro, the enemy unit cannot be hit with the extra scv you sent to intercept him (because of the stupid pathfinding, your SCV keeps overshooting as he turns a corner) he can keep hitting the building SCV. He'll hit it once, then do a 90 degree move, hit it again... your 2nd SCV will overshoot and miss his attack, rinse and repeat, you're going to lose an SCV.

What on earth should I be doing right now? Not only does he harass my SCV building a supply, he's harassing the SCV building the rax and my mineral line is deathly low on SCVs because I keep trying to get him out. The only way to realistically stop this is pull off a bunch of SCVs and kill the probe or drone.

As he is harassing, he'll try to hit you up with zerglings and zealots. If you don't have the wall up by then it's pretty much over (since they can also attack the SCV as he is building)

I find it really annoying how you can attack SCVs as they build now. Why did they nerf the SCV health as well? I don't see the point of this gameplay gimmick. The strategy feels incredibly cheesy.

Default Re: Annoying strategy TvZ,vP and why can SCVS be attacked while building?

"now"? You could attack them in BW too. Use other SCV's, swap, repair, take your pick.

Your source for sound, logical and reasonable responses.

Lopan91's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: Annoying strategy TvZ,vP and why can SCVS be attacked while building?

i agreed this pisses me off to no end

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    "now"? You could attack them in BW too. Use other SCV's, swap, repair, take your pick.
    Are you sure? *goes to check*

Hmm seems like you're right. However, the pathfinding in SC1 makes it pretty hard to do such a thing and the defending SCV doesn't screw up while following enemy drones.

And dammit, I hate playing SC1 and realizing how much better the soundscape is.

Also, swap / repair means you're taking 3+ scv's off the line just to deal with 1 drone.
    Last edited by Wankey; 07-13-2010 at 09:40 PM.

yeah swap repair doesnt really work because u have to take off 3 scvs plus it really delays your building time and u lost out of mining

Quote Originally Posted by Wankey View Post
    Are you sure? *goes to check*

Hmm seems like you're right. However, the pathfinding in SC1 makes it pretty hard to do such a thing and the defending SCV doesn't screw up while following enemy drones.

And dammit, I hate playing SC1 and realizing how much better the soundscape is.

Also, swap / repair means you're taking 3+ scv's off the line just to deal with 1 drone.
    If he attacks your building SCV with his probe, swap it out with a fresh SCV (you dont even have to repair it). If he swaps to the new one, you MIGHT have to send one more over. If you cant catch his probe, dont worry about it and just kill it with your first marine. You shouldnt lose more than like 10 minerals unless you screw up (and dont say he does it easily, since dodging takes effort too and could easily lose his probe if you double team with the building SCV + the other one that came to attack).

You dont need to use 3+ SCV's, I dont even see how you could come up with that unless you hate probes with a passion and just want them absolutely dead.

ok he brings in the probe and starts attacking your builder(say hes building a barracks)first 5 dmg then say u immediatly halt the construction then when hes coming out thats another 5 dmg. so your options are used the scv u halted construction with and attack the probe back with then u will lose time in building the barracks and leave yourself open for a zealot rush and u will lose your scv.

2nd option with 2 scvs out u can either keep building with the hurt scv and have the fresh one attack the probe and the outcome of that would be that they would keep attacking the scv building then when he dies run the probe away(and u lose build time again on your barracks and an scv)

3rd option with 2 scvs out u have the building scv halt construction and put the fresh one on building and have the hurt scv defend. The outcome of this is the hurt scv dies and maybe if your lucky the barracks finishes if not then the probe goes on to harrassing the new builder.

4th option with 3 scvs one scv will build the barracks while the other 2 scvs defend. the outcome is you build your barracks if your lucky u kill the probe and you miss out of 3 scvs worth of mining time
    so yes you need at least 3 scvs to deal with it if your toss opponent is smart anymore than 3 is kinda ridiculus

were not saying this is impossible to defend against were just saying that it is highly annoying and in brood war scvs had 60hp and thats how they endured the harrass in the past now its much harder(i know why scvs got their health nerfs and it was for a good reason)

Quote Originally Posted by Lopan91 View Post
    ok he brings in the probe and starts attacking your builder(say hes building a barracks)first 5 dmg then say u immediatly halt the construction then when hes coming out thats another 5 dmg. so your options are used the scv u halted construction with and attack the probe back with then u will lose time in building the barracks and leave yourself open for a zealot rush and u will lose your scv.

2nd option with 2 scvs out u can either keep building with the hurt scv and have the fresh one attack the probe and the outcome of that would be that they would keep attacking the scv building then when he dies run the probe away(and u lose build time again on your barracks and an scv)

3rd option with 2 scvs out u have the building scv halt construction and put the fresh one on building and have the hurt scv defend. The outcome of this is the hurt scv dies and maybe if your lucky the barracks finishes if not then the probe goes on to harrassing the new builder.

4th option with scvs one scv will build the barracks while the other 2 scvs defend. the outcome is you build your barracks if your lucky u kill the probe and you miss out of 3 scvs worth of mining time

were not saying this is impossible to defend against were just saying that it is highly annoying and in brood war scvs had 60hp and thats how they endured the harrass in the past now its much harder(i know why scvs got their health nerfs and it was for a good reason)
    5th option: attack with one, build with one. If one gets low, send it back to mining and get a new one. Result: No loss in units, SLIGHT loss in resources, virtually no build time lost. You shouldnt need more than this exchange (total of 3 SCV's used, but only 2 not mining at any given time) as your barracks should be done and he will either run his probe away or try and continue silly antics until your marine kills it.

Yes, its slightly more difficult in SC2 than in BW, but the same rules apply. Use your head and think.

swaping scv, 1 building, 1 attacking, and some mining.

the one building is getting damage, swap it with one mining. if they chase that one scv then i guess you could just surround it with scv and kill it. in the end slight mineral loss, no scv death, about 1-3 seconds in building lost i guess, they lose a scout.
    ~KyranX

no need to be mean man "use your head and think"
    not everyone is diamond level
    and if your better than us just help us then its o man alright thx
    and it still doesnt change the fact that its annoying which is the point of this thread
    and 2 svcs is still a lot in my mind for one probe but i cant change it and ill deal with it

thank you kyr200 for your nice response