Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Void Ray trick - "Fazing"

Default Re: New Void Ray trick - "Fazing"

There was(or still is) a cooldown before the first tic. This same cooldown allows players to keep a VR charged up by targeting their own units, but not dealing any damage.
    I'm assuming this is a glitch that exploits the fact that the first tic is instantaneous when switching targets (since the damage trigger is different from when the VR laser is just starting off).

Quote Originally Posted by protoswarrior View Post
    Er... wtf are you talking about guys? Void rays never had a cooldown to attack. It was always ZAP-channel energy - channel MORE energy - switch target zap instantly...
    Yes, they have a cooldown like any other attack. How do you think that the damage is calculated? It's fast, but it's a cooldown, it's only that it isn't shown with the attack animation.
    How else units would receive extra damage for switching targets?

And no it isn't a bug as mentioned above: it is an exploit - and I think it was intentional since it takes time to charge up to max and dish out their insane damage. This way, you can never charge up to the max damage ever, but you can deal small amounts of damage cumulatively. No bug here.
    You cannot know if it's intentional or not

Quote Originally Posted by Norfindel View Post
    They attack the same than any other unit, damage - cooldown - damage - cooldown, and so on. If the cooldown is ignored when switching targets, it's a bug.
    A beam would deal damage over time. If you sweep it over 10 different targets, every target would get 1/10th the damage, not the same damage than keeping the ray over one target the whole time.
    Beams arent really a damage over time effect, they deal chunks of damage over a period.
    Er... wtf are you talking about guys? Void rays never had a cooldown to attack. It was always ZAP-channel energy - channel MORE energy - switch target zap instantly...

And no it isn't a bug as mentioned above: it is an exploit - and I think it was intentional since it takes time to charge up to max and dish out their insane damage. This way, you can never charge up to the max damage ever, but you can deal small amounts of damage cumulatively. No bug here.
    Not entirely true, since you can still charge up on something nearby (rocks/your own buildings) and still use the same technique
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgTcf8dH--E

Its been around for a long time and was discovered when people were testing out mass VR against mass marines to see if marines were still viable, and they werent because of this very mechanic (uploading an example).

EDIT: BTW, no micro is actually necessary to do this. If you reach a point where the VR's one shot units, you can nearly instantly wipe out units.
    For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCZtPY9w3e0
    I know its only 10 marines, but its just to give an example of the attack in action once you one shot stuff.
    Last edited by TheRabidDeer; 07-13-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Your source for sound, logical and reasonable responses.

The vid had static targets. I wanna see this in an actual game just to see how exploitable this exploit really is.

IMO, its in the same level as phoenix floaty attack. BNET not having LAN latency nerfs this a bit as well.
    Last edited by don; 07-13-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Play Protoss? Look for the map Photon Cannon Tactics in the NA server!

This sounds bad for marines as a counter to VRs. And yes this has happened to me vs a VR. It is not fun but I could have microed better I suppose. Alright I am just going to say it this is straight up OP. 1 unit should not be able to do that. Just ridiculous.
    Last edited by dejai; 07-13-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    Beams arent really a damage over time effect, they deal chunks of damage over a period.
    That's what i'm saying. In the game, they work like that (fast damage and cooldown, with a continuous animation).

But in real life, lasers burn, and the burning is energy. A static laser always delivers more energy to a point, than if it's swept over an area. Look my previous posts to see why i called reality into this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by dejai View Post
    This sounds bad for marines as a counter to VRs. And yes this has happened to me vs a VR. It is not fun but I could have microed better I suppose. Alright I am just going to say it this is straight up OP. 1 unit should not be able to do that. Just ridiculous.
    I agree, it shouldn't, but the Void Ray also tooks too much time to deliver reasonable damage (their attack is like a Marine, until it charges, and the unit is freaking expensive). I said this before: this unit could use a serious change in it's attack mechanics, including re-balancing of the damage dealed in all stages.
    Last edited by Norfindel; 07-13-2010 at 07:51 PM.

it's useful on level 1 for small targets like marines, but on other air units your gunna be sticking to channeling that attack

Useful? You can take out 40 probes in 11 seconds. That is just instant win not "useful".

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    The vid had static targets. I wanna see this in an actual game just to see how exploitable this exploit really is.

IMO, its in the same level as phoenix floaty attack. BNET not having LAN latency nerfs this a bit as well.
    The effect happens any time a group of VR's "one shot" a unit. In the video I posted, I have 10 VR's (only 9 were necessary but I wasnt sure of how much the marines would do), since each VR does 5 damage thats an instant kill. The only thing you need to do is make sure that they are focus firing (so yea, it still does require micro) since otherwise they may each target a separate unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PAmLv5qKaQ

Another simple demonstration (though I didnt try to micro), and it is obviously in favor of the VR's due to cost. However, if you can maintain the micro and have enough VR's to one shot you can kill several units a second with FF micro.

Your source for sound, logical and reasonable responses.

This thing requires good micro. I won't be able to click more than 2-3 targets, even if they will not move.
    //OMG, I read "2 member and 1 guests" as "2 member and 1 ghosts"
    "Summer break.
    Nuff said
    Midnight lunch? Eh maybe"
    © Noctis

"The war's been fought off our shores for too long... now we shall bring the battle home!! xD"
    © broodmywarcraft