Thread: A potent Terran combo vs col-centric play: viking + raven PD

Default A potent Terran combo vs col-centric play: viking + raven PD

this is a quite cool tactical gimmick that im surprised hasnt been more widely acknowledged, here's the thing:

everyone knows and accepts that throwing in some vikings is a great option to fight any protoss army that has one or more colossus in it.
    but we still dont view it as uncommon or bad for a protoss player to keep making colossi even in the face of vikings.
    this is because of stalkers ability to shield the colossi and limit the amount of damage the vikings can inflict before loosing to much firepower or being forced out of range.

... now, tactical micro for the terran in these situations typically involves trying to flank the colossi and fly around the stalkers to find an angle for attack where stalkers are out of position, giving valuable firing time to the vikings.

this viking micro takes time, and while it happens, the protoss colosus powered army may well charge forward and inflict terrible terrible damage on terran infantery units.

weve all used and seen point defense drone used in the midst of battle to very effectively deny stalkers and other projectiles from hitting their targets. thats great, but colossi arnt affected, and if their numbers are high enough, theyll incinerate much of the terran infantery regardless.. its not ideal for the terran.

IMO point defense drone clearly has potentially deeper tactical utility:

to the point:

... if vikings were able to fly right in to the fray, close to stalkers and fire away at colossi (&/or other airborn targets) this could frequently be worth doing before the ground-born conflict ensued.

... so the idea is to spot the colossus-centric army (preferably somehow pin it down for a sec) ... intercept it with vikings, and cover them with PD's ... ideally dealing critical damage and withdrawing just as the PD energy is running out - shortly after which you initiate ground combat (pre-emptive stim should make this quite plausible)

... i realized this as i played a game where i was in a big lead yet pushed my enemy carefully.

ill submit the replay later if you care to see it, but it wasnt an otherwise straightforward game and i only had energy for one PD.

Thoughts? what do you make of this type of semi-intricate tactical moves?

i feel the game is fast paced enough that we wont see a whole lot of them implemented very well at critical times, but boy is it awesome when it happens!

i think we'd see a lot more very cool raven plays if the seeker missile was just a tad stronger again, atm it doesnt quite feel worthwihle as it barely packs a bigger punch than a ST-shell

edit: meant to post this in the strategy section.
    Last edited by Todie; 07-11-2010 at 06:49 AM.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: A potent Terran combo vs col-centric play: viking + raven PD

There's a strategy forum for this, you know.

-- EDIT: Nevermind. You do know

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

I've used this maneuver with Chewable Prozac's scenario. It could happen in the hands of pros. Figuring out the build for this is the key, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Todie View Post
    but we still dont view it as uncommon or bad for a protoss player to keep making colossi even in the face of vikings.
    this is because of stalkers ability to shield the colossi
    actually you continue to build collossus cuz protoss lacks alternatives

HT are even more vulnerable to ghost/tanks and lack the mobility to handle harrass

Quote Originally Posted by chryso View Post
    actually you continue to build collossus cuz protoss lacks alternatives

HT are even more vulnerable to ghost/tanks and lack the mobility to handle harrass
    it is what it is; P's would hardly make colossi vs vikings without stalkers, so my point stands.

I dont paly protoss, but i'd like to think its plausible for p's to switch from col - at the very least in some situations: the terran opponent might not have the greatest readiness for meeting HTs with tank / ghost - especially not if he's plown gas into ravens. (and HT's pwn ravens (& even deployed PD's?) with feedback) .. another possible and more easily accessible switch is immortals and/or prism-use. but thats a whole other topic.

bottom line is however, that while i cant specualte that accurately about protoss actual ability to transition out of colossus-centric play - the very attitude - that its not worthwhile etc, (that chryso represents) is what the described tactic abuses, so to speak.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

Feedback kills PDD
    Storm kills PDD

In case you didn't know.