Thread: Arranged Teams vs. Random Team Ladder

Default Arranged Teams vs. Random Team Ladder

There is a really detailed, really long, and very long interview with Chris Sigaty on a German Fansite.

It covers a ton of things, and actually has some interesting new info throughout, but I wanted to talk about one thing that jumped out at me:

The ladders will be similar to what we have seen: 1on1, 2on2, 3on3, 4on4, FFA and than we are still talking about random team vs. arranged team and how that books from the ladder perspective. Those have been planned competitive game types for launch.
    This is a very cool idea to me. But, what will make it unique? Obviously there will need to be some kind of "compensation" for people who win with a random team? Like more ladder points. Although maybe not, maybe just bragging rights/excuses when you lose.

Default Re: Arranged Teams vs. Random Team Ladder

i like war3s method, having a seperate ladder for Arranged team and Random team.. It kinda shows some skill to climb the Random Team ladder, being stuck with newbs everygame pretty much. (i dunno how it is now, havent played for 3ish years but back in the day, RT was stats-suicide in the days when 90%+ was important)

I was actually #3 on the AT 2v2 ladder (for one game, approx. 45 minutes after the game was released, with a record of 3-0...lolz), but after that I ended up playing about 1500 2v2 AT games with a win rate of about 60% (i wish Blizz didn't delete old Bnet records...if they can keep your WoW character forever, why not my simple win records??)...I would have loved a random team vs arranged team option at the time, just to add that twist would have been a lot of fun.

Anyways, getting paired up with a random teammate is a lot tougher than it sounds. Although one time I ended up with Bei on my team (very famous Chinese UD player at the time) ....that was pretty cool!
    Last edited by SaharaDrac; 07-04-2009 at 05:58 PM.

I don't know what the question here is...they should just have both, they should be separate, and they should be scored separately.

Winning with an arranged team is much different than winning with a random team.

I've played games where the matchmaking system could put arranged teams together with random teams and that was NOT pretty.

Just think how awful it is to play against a team of friends with a bunch of random strangers on B.Net in Starcraft....

Runei's Avatar Junior Member

Before even reading everyones comments I'd like to say... FFA LADDER? AWESOMEEEE!

I once microed a drone so well that my opponents computer exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by SaharaDrac View Post
    I was actually #3 on the AT 2v2 ladder (for one game, approx. 45 minutes after the game was released, with a record of 3-0...lolz), but after that I ended up playing about 1500 2v2 AT games with a win rate of about 60% (i wish Blizz didn't delete old Bnet records...if they can keep your WoW character forever, why not my simple win records??)...I would have loved a random team vs arranged team option at the time, just to add that twist would have been a lot of fun.

Anyways, getting paired up with a random teammate is a lot tougher than it sounds. Although one time I ended up with Bei on my team (very famous Chinese UD player at the time) ....that was pretty cool!
    Yah, Ive been top 10 many times on AT ladders as Kero-The-Feared, and about top 20 on RT ladder at one point.. RT is much harder imo cause you never get a consistently good partner.. I have played with Bei many times and he was good, surprisingly almost exclusively RT player which is odd.

Anyways point is, need to have two seperate ladders, it wont be fair if someone can't get a solid 2v2 partner and wants to climb the ladder, and keeps getting newbs. Least with seperate ladders, you know that anyone who plays RT gets the same newbs you get, and anyone who plays AT can stack their teams also.

Reading the interview again, yeah,. I misconstrued it. He was talkinbg about them as seperate ladders. That being said...AT is way better!

Actually I'd be one to say that the fewer ladders the better. Combining all 2v2 ladders (AT&RT) with a tweak to the points the RT can make/lose would be rather fitting imo. And whatever blizzard does with 3v3 and 4v4 is quite irrelevant anyways since that format can't really be taken seriously in terms of competitiveness.
    It would just be cool to have a unique 2v2 ladder since I think it's a pretty fun way to play the game, yet represents the player's skill rather well.

I forgot all abut RT ladder til this interview. That's gonna be fun!

Just NO. From my DoW2 experience, AT vs RT were all total rapes...