Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ethics & Homosexuality

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: Ethics & Homosexuality

1) That's a discussion for another time. Suffice it to say that most things are gray areas unless they're directly against nature. Nature is above it's creation and beyond reproach. This topic is about why I don't watch anime; not why gays are the satan spawn that are destroying the very fabric of human civilization. You're confusing the issue.

I have no idea what causes homosexuality, therefore, I'm not going to treat all homosexuals as if it's something they chose to do. Before we knew of mental illness, I'm sure everyone thought, "Why doesn't he just act normal?". That's not what I'm doing.
    2) Normal = what most people do. Unnatural = something that goes against the natural use of something. You're arguing something completely different. Just like animals evolve and adapt, humans change things for the better. This is where you've confused yourself and the issue. Just because we eat different foods doesn't mean we're going to start eating toilet paper. That would be unnatural. You can change patterns without doing things unnatural. Staying up late at night is natural if that's what your circadian rhythm is set to. Just because people used to not do that doesn't mean it's all of a sudden unnatural. Hunters have been hunting at night forever. They're aren't unnatural. Even if it were, there's a difference between, like I said, eating organic matter and then altering and going towards something unnatural and eating inorganic matter such as screws and tires.

3) I'd love to hear girls talk about things like that Uncomfortable about women's advertsing? What in the holy hell are you going on about Try to argue the points directly; not abtract philosophical debates. You're confusing me, yourself, and the issue. You're way over near Pluto while I'm still down to Earth.

4) We are natural. What you're talking about are differences between what we do now and how we did things. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's unnatural. It's unnatural to be attracted to something you're designed not to be be. It's different (but not unnatural) for someone to, say, shit in a toilet or eat sitting down.

5) I think you've forgotten that this is about why I don't watch anime and that's why you're confused on what I'm saying.

6) I'm wasting my breath but: Please. Stop. Now.

EDIT: Oh, I see. You're only responding to a post I made ages ago. Read the rest and you'll understand.

Last edited by TheEconomist; 07-04-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Uhm... you know that japanese people isn't normally muscular, so their masculine ideal isn't to be mr. universe with good reason.

Anyways, you want to see something gay, take a look at 80's rock bands, they win the gay awards over any anime character or asian guy that is naturally a lot less muscular than other races: http://www.google.com.ar/images?q=80...ed=0CDgQsAQwAw

Warning: images found there can cause terrible terrible damage.

I'll agree with you on 80's rock bands. Those 80's rock bands were either made by the freaks I'm talking about or just a show for women.

Oh, and plus 80's rock bands are in the past and appealed to a select group of people. What I'm talking about appeals to just about every Asian and Japanese person in existence today. But, really, once again, you're confusing the issue.

Last edited by TheEconomist; 07-04-2010 at 12:16 PM.

It's 4th of July and mah peeps are here. If you're American, have a good holiday. If you're not, have a good regular day

Quote Originally Posted by TychusFindlay View Post
    It's 4th of July and mah peeps are here. If you're American, have a good holiday. If you're not, have a good regular day
    I thought you were going to say:

If you're not, then go **** ********

Happy 4th of July to all gringos! And keep celebrating Cinco de Mayo for us

I'll agree with you on 80's rock bands. Those 80's rock bands were either made by the freaks I'm talking about or just a show for women.
    Manwar started as an 80's rock band... So did Iron Maiden. Generalization is not necessarily a good thing.

And speaking of the Japanese people, would you accuse Toshiro Mifune of being effeminate?

You really should watch some good Kurosawa movies rather than anime before passing judgment on Japanese culture.

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

That Japanese guy in The Chosen One (I think that's what the movie was called) that dueled against Jet Li at the end of a movie, he was a badass.

I wonder why tychus only have males in his examples. To me it seems he got no problem with 2 females.....
    (I wouldn't like to watch 2 men kiss either... but I wouldn't mind 2 girls really... but thats just because I am into girls and not men, c'mon just because your not into men that doesn't mean your supposed to hate those who are.)

Anime is directly related with homosexuality. It is filled with it. The problem with that is is that, if I were not American and know better, I might think some of that was normal or male. Thank God I'm not though. But, gay and not gay is not the issue here. Once again, someone has attached my argument to some other argument they've heard. All I'm saying is that Japan is suffering from a lack of male drive and no longer remembers what it means to be a man. They used to be pretty bad with the Ninjas and the Samurai but now they've .. let's leave it at that.
    I fail to see how can you state that Anime is directly related with homosexuality having, as you have claimed only seen a couple of series.
    You are basing all this argument upon biased impressions of the behaviour in other countries.
    The kind of anime that you are referring to is just a tiny bit of the whole concept of anime, and anime is just a tiny bit of the whole japanese culture.
    What you are basically saying is this:
    -There are male characters in anime that don't follow my idea of male drive
    -Therefore these characters are homosexual
    -Therefore anime is homosexual
    -Anime is made in japan, and thus japan lacks male drive

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, right.

@Eligor: I specifically said that Japan used to be pretty bad ass. This is an actor from that time period. I have no idea who he is but he looks the part. I remember watching those old blind samurai shows. Loved them. That's what I'm saying I wish Japan would get back to. I think the series was called Ichi or something. I was young. Can't remember.

Also, I've never listened to Manwar or Iron Maiden. My point is is that these are subcultures in America/Europe but not so much in Japan where it's pretty much pop culture.

@Nenol-phoenix: I've seen tons of series. I've only watched a few long enough to get in-depth with it but that's not the point. It only takes as long as your mind can register feedback from your eyes to make a valid judgment on the things I am commenting on. If I didn't know what I was talking about I wouldn't open my mouth.

And, no. My sequence of thought is:
    - Anime characters are usually girly, effeminite and typically whiny, angsty, and weak.
    - The types of characters are the norm. There are exceptions to the rule but, for the most part, these are tropes most commonly used. This shows that this is what Japan prefers.
    - Japan prefers these things because they obviously see it as normal or desireable.
    - Japan sees these things as normal and desireable; therefore, they've obviously lost the tried-and-true idea of what it means to be a man.

There's not that much wiggle room here, to be honest. I hate to close discussion but that's the truth. You can argue all you want about how manliness is subjective (the aspects I'm talking are not however) or how you don't feel these things are effeminate but it wouldn't matter. What I view as effeminate is definitely there. It's up to you as an individual to view these things as effeminate or normal.

@Twilice: Because my almighty manliness could never permit to me to speak ill of lesbians unless they're ugly It's hypocritical I know. But, you've got to understand that just because I like lesbians doesn't mean I should be perfectly okay with homoeroticism in anime and not be bothered by it enough to not watch it.

--

If only people would read my post and realize what it is I've actually said there'd be a lot less commenting. Let's recap. These are the points I have made. Anything not here is either something some previous poster dreamed up or is irrelevant to the conversation.

1) Anime is filled with effeminate characters.
    2) I do not like relating to or being involved with effeminate characters.
    3) Therefore, 99% of Anime is incompatible with me.
    4) I do no like anime because of this so I stay away from it.

Then, someone asked me why I care what a character look like. My points were:

1) I don't like having homosexuality thrown in my face just like I don't like sitting next to two guys kissing on the bus.
    2) Instead of putting up with it, I'd rather get away from it. Or, in this case, not watch anime.
    3) This is a pretty normal response to such a thing

This is where things got sidetracked because DSquid had to say something like "They probably feel the same way when you kiss your women". To which I said, "I am the norm, therefore, I should not feel bad about not wanting to watch anime for these reasons or wanting to get away from homosexuality".
    Argue the above numbered points. If you are arguing anything else and I'm not in a specific conversation with you about it then you're off base and almost surely arguing over something I never said. I've got like eight conversations going on right now where people have no idea what I actually said and they're getting worked up over absolutely nothing. It would be quite hilarious if it wasn't wasting my and everyone else's time.