View Poll Results: Would you like Stukov in SC2?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I really want him to appear!

20 36.36%
  • Yes, but not a priority

11 20.00%
  • Whatever

12 21.82%
  • No, not really a fan

3 5.45%
  • No! Bring Stukov down!

9 16.36%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Would you like to see Stukov in SC2?

vIsitor's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: Would you like to see Stukov in SC2?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
    But what if his return also has meaning?
    Indeed.

While I agree with the sentiments that Stukov's resurrection, as it is, was a trite and poorly-executed dues ex machina, a great deal of plot that could arise from the development has the potential to be considerably less lame -- even epic.

While Blizzard could just ignore the whole issue, that essentially requires another retcon (if even a silent one), and thats seldom a good thing. And, considering that his resurrection was essentially a retcon too, they'd be retconing a retcon, which is never a good thing.

Alternatively, Blizzard can accept that they goofed and endeavor to make the most of it. In troper circles, this is known as the Author's Saving Throw. Pulled off well, the result can be awesome enough to pardon the past event that was so reviled.

In light of the events of the Wings of Liberty campagin, it has become apparent that Stukov has a lot to offer Heart of the Swarm that nobody else really can, because nobody else has really been what he's been through. He has what might be called a unique perspective; one that can be leveraged for a great deal of plot goodness.

He should be duly changed by the experience; betrayal, death, and infestation have to have left their mark on him, to say nothing about losing his friend DuGalle, being stranded in the Koprulu Sector, and coping with being deinfested. Even so, I do think that he ought to be recognizable as the same badass we fell in love with in Brood War, if a more embittered and world-weary version of him. Let him have character development, not outright replacement (let his death have at least some meaning! ).

He'd definitely be an interesting supporting character for Kerrigan in HotS; he has the inherent potential to be both an ally and an enemy. At the very least, a magnificent foil. Plus, you know, the whole 'aren't you dead?' angle. (speaking of which, anyone want to see him get revenge against Duran?)

Hmm... you know, it occurs to me, as long as we're brainstorming ways to salvage the Resurrection IV debacle, what about Stukov's line about 'the clarity'? Perhaps that could be retconed into him talking vaguely about having a (brief) glimpse into the grander workings of things? Like the greater aims of the Swarm, the Xel'Naga, the Cycle, etc? Because that would make a whole lot of that nonsense he said make a whole lot more sense...

Blizzard seems to have dropped the nanite idea; otherwise the Haven missions would have made a lot less sense.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    Blizzard seems to have dropped the nanite idea; otherwise the Haven missions would have made a lot less sense.
    Unless it didn't work. Example, maybe Stukov came back wrong?

vIsitor's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
    Unless it didn't work. Example, maybe Stukov came back wrong?
    I suppose that could be it. At the very least, he didn't seem terribly pleased about being 'rescued'.

Anyway, with all the talk about Stukov's line about 'letting his death have at least some meaning'. Well... didn't Kerrigan already rob it of meaning, when she defeated the UED? Poor Stukov; his life was taken away, his best friend committed suicide, his dying request amounted to nothing, he was robbed of the peace of death by the rouge cerebrate Kaloth, and then taken from whatever solace he had in the 'new swarm' by Raynor and his Terran/Protoss 'alliance'. No wonder he wasn't quite himself in Resurrection IV.

Of course, we're forgetting the real issue here: whatever became of Alexi's private stash of vodka?

Artanis's Avatar Junior Member

Stukov's return is a bad idea. I'm more interested about my favourite mysterious character Duran.
    Battlecruiser operational?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    Stukov was infested in a very different way. He was a reanimated dead body. And even when infected he looked mostly human.
    While the zerg virus had a very different effect on the Haven Colonist, it mutated them to abominations with tentacles and stuff.

I have totally rethought the no to stukov

Now I am more leaning to yes

Give him an extremely good cutscene and a good backstory (reason to show up) then having him participating is all fine with me.

I think even after discussing about him here it will be a big surprise in the campaign and he can work great

But he so much more Dependant on a good presentation and handling