Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Huge CGI and voice over improvements

Default Huge CGI and voice over improvements

You guy may not have noticed so I'll post it here:

Blizcon 08 CGI:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU4StjTV0ZY

New 2010 CGI of the same scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcp8ShWb9EY

Talk about complete retexture and remodel of a lot of things + revoice over.

Changes:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Wankey; 07-02-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Default Re: Huge CGI and voice over improvements

Oops I just peed a little.

Olde.

But it is much better.

The one edit I would like to make to this scene: from the briefing to New Gettysberg from SC vanilla: Raynor: "This is bullshit."
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

One thing I never understood about this cinematic; Zeratul is a DT who is supposed to be cloaked at all times. Yet Raynor can see him. So is it possible the DT's cloaking is selective and able to be turned off at will?

Didn't you hear buddy? Raynor is a detector! Back when he was a Marshall, he used to spin around for hours in a Missile Turret to increase his endurance to heroic levels.
    Please be aware of the SC:L Posting Rules and Guidelines.

If I were you, I'd look at these links. You might even follow or like them or something...

StarCraft: Legacy: Like us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter - Subscribe to our Youtube channel
    Legacy Observer: Watch live on Twitch.tv - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Subscribe to Youtube Channel

I have to say - are you surprised? I would think we all expect and demand Blizzard to use all available time to keep fleshing out cut scenes and CGI, etc.

As for cloaking...you really think that all DT's are cloaked 24/7? I'm pretty sure cloaking is done by their void energies or w/e, basically it's like an ability they can turn on and off with their mind. I'm just going to assume that with the fight with Kerrigan...he knew it would be useless against her? -.-

I think she's probably developed detection abilities. But yes, Dark Templar cloaking isn't a permanent state, it's done by an application of will. Zeratul's appearance in the Brood War cinematic proved this.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazur View Post
    One thing I never understood about this cinematic; Zeratul is a DT who is supposed to be cloaked at all times. Yet Raynor can see him. So is it possible the DT's cloaking is selective and able to be turned off at will?
    Uh.. imagine that cinematic with Zeratul invisible..
    Raynor would look bonkers... he's gonna look like he's talking to himself.

"whooz that talkin??"
    "Jim Raynor its mee Zeratul"
    "Zeeratul??"
    "I bring tidings of.. OW! That's my foot human!"

Play Protoss? Look for the map Photon Cannon Tactics in the NA server!

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Wow, this is such basic lore knowledge I'm kind of surprised you don't know about it, but oh well not everyone reads up on the lore.

Anyone, the Dark Templars bend light around themselves to cloak themselves, so yes it's selective. They aren't cloaked any time they don't want to be.

What I'M confused about is why Zeratul always decides to fight uncloaked. Seriously, the lore says that the dark templar are just as much as fighters as Zealots are. Granted that they also have cloak, it makes them 10x as dangerous as any Zealot, if you don't have detection. In fact, I'm willing to bet that he would have completely dominated Kerrigan in that cave using cloak unless she came packing detectors (probably did). But again, being cloaked would be boring because you wouldn't see any action (no one realizes how OP it actually is). This is why there's guaranteed to be no cloak fighting action in any cinematic unless it's a massacre.

Although, it would be more realistic AND logical to say that dark templars uncloak to fight because realistically, if you bend light around yourself you can't see a single thing. This would fit their assassination theme perfectly, while maintaining the fact that they are just as much of a fighter as zealots are.

But then again, we would have to apply that logic to every other cloaking unit, and it's pretty hard to say that a Ghost would be useful if he had to uncloak to do anything. But then, they do look like they could have the same fairy magic technology that a scanner sweep might have (except reversed), to see outside their cloaking field. Like a ghost's helmet would come with a technology that lets him see outside his field of bent light, same with the banshee's visor or a wraith's cockpit terminal/console.

As for the actual topic, I always assumed they were playing it on low quality? If you look at that very old screenshot of Tychus looking down at Raynor, you'll see that it's the same quality as the 2010 video you linked us to.

Edit: On second thought, you're right. Comparing Tychus in that SS to Zeratul in the 2010 clip, Zeratul's model does look cleaner. Plus I just found this too, which looks miles better than that other SS.

Or maybe it's the lighting... well either way I do think that you're right in that they improved on their work, but I also positively think that they were just playing on low quality too, in that old video you posted.
    Last edited by Pandonetho; 07-02-2010 at 11:22 AM.

or maybe Zeratul lost his cloaking ability ?