Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blizzard's 2010 Writing Contest

Default Re: Blizzard's 2010 Writing Contest

Good luck ya'll.

P.S. Previous winners sucked horribly. We have a chance.
    Last edited by Hamshank; 06-29-2010 at 12:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    I want my name in bright yellow, to represent "Forum Douchebag."

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    Why? They're on a completely new and foreign planet and they needed to work together to survive. You know, the UPL didn't only imprison murderers. Anyone who had a genetic mutation, or pirates, hackers, etc they were all imprisoned too.
    As well as political prisoners, of a regime that greatly resembled say, early Soviet Russia. So I'd expect a lot of controversial intellectuals and scientists, as well as random school teachers and armchair philosophers they just didn't like. I'd imagine they were pretty crucial to the colonies success.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/communi...sts/scwriting/

AM I READING THIS RIGHT?

..."2,500 to 5,000 word story written in Spanish or Portuguese and set in the StarCraft universe by July 28, 2010"

"Whether you're an accomplished writer, or simply fancy it a hobby, we encourage one and all to submit their creative works to our judges: the Blizzard Entertainment Latin American Community team"

So this isn't for the English users?

edit; then I found

"Q: Spanish or Portuguese is not my native language. Is that an issue?
    A: No, as long as the story is well written and grammatically sound. We encourage those unsure of their abilities in the Spanish or Portuguese language to find a native speaker with good grammatical knowledge to copy-edit their story. "

So I'm guessing you can't write this in English?

2nd edit: The English one wasn't showing up for some reason on the front. I could only see the Spanish one. Nevermind, lol.
    Last edited by deadlyhazard; 06-29-2010 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkalis View Post
    I think entering would be a good try...I mean, you just need to compete against a couple of tens of thousands but if you are great writing you may be a runner up
    Runner up?? I'm fixin' to win this here writin' contest!

-Dread_Reaper
    "And then Sun Tzu used his fight money to buy two of every animal, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one!"

Why? They're on a completely new and foreign planet and they needed to work together to survive. You know, the UPL didn't only imprison murderers. Anyone who had a genetic mutation, or pirates, hackers, etc they were all imprisoned too.
    The Nagglfar Scenario...

Damaged UPL Supercarrier Nagglfar puts down on Tarsonis during the planet's version of late Fall. Based on planet's rotation and axial tilt, Winter will last four standard earth months.

ATLAS AI system awakens 100 people per day over the next 100 standard earth days.

25 percent of the overall crew complement was originally convicted of a capital crime.

Supplies are limited.

No one is in charge.

The nearest authority figure: 60,000 light years away....

In my version...things don't go smoothly at first.
    Last edited by //MavericK\\; 06-29-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Spelling aint my forte'

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Supplies are limited.

No one is in charge.
    They have plenty of supplies. Remember how the whole thing was originally supposed to be a colonization test? They were loaded with supplies and all the necessary things to colonize a planet, and that's exactly what they did, except 60 000 light years away. I'm pretty sure Earth wouldn't send a bunch of guys on a ship to a foreign planet just so they could all murder each other in anarchy. It's live or die, I'm pretty sure the common interest is to live and thrive when the necessary tools have been laid out for the colonists to successfully start a new life. And better yet, no Earth authority to watch over you, so why would you want to go about killing everything? It's a new life.

Bare in mind these are just my ideas on this particular area of StarCraft lore which has largely been unexplored by Blizzard, save for a few paragraphs in the SCI manual and tid-bits sprinkled throughout the novels...

These are just some observations on your last post, Pandonetho...not arguing the point...just clarifying where I'm coming from. This discussion is actually helpful for my story. I like getting other points of view...

They have plenty of supplies. Remember how the whole thing was originally supposed to be a colonization test?
    An excerpt from the Starcraft Manual. pg. 28.

As the prisoners were prepped for cryogenic ‘cold sleep’, the ships were loaded with enough supplies, rations and hardware to aid them once they arrived at their scheduled destination.

The key word in this sentence that I'm using for my story is aid...not support. They would have to dig in and grow their own food very quickly. Some of these people might have felt above digging in the dirt and entitled to more. Many were, after-all, criminals in one form or another and prone to being uncooperative...even if it was in their own best interest.

They were loaded with supplies and all the necessary things to colonize a planet, and that's exactly what they did, except 60 000 light years away.
    According to the manual, all four ships were supposed to arrive on the same planet, Gantris VI. I can infer that the original plan was for all 40,000 people to be colonizing one planet and pooling all of their resources and equipment. Some of the vessels might have been loaded with more mining equipment, while others may have had more rations and/or general supplies. We, the audience don't really know, because Blizzard kept it all somewhat vague in the manual. Ripe opportunity for me, the writer, to add in some conflict and tension.

I'm pretty sure Earth wouldn't send a bunch of guys on a ship to a foreign planet just so they could all murder each other in anarchy.
    I agree, but the people that sent these ships also didn't count on the vessels being thrown horribly off course, hurtling though the galaxy for 30 years either. We know the Nagglfar's warp engines were damaged, but what other problems could have resulted from such an extended journey. We just don't know.

It's live or die, I'm pretty sure the common interest is to live and thrive when the necessary tools have been laid out for the colonists to successfully start a new life.
    I agree. I believe that some of the prisoners could possibly be say dishonorably discharge ex-military types and the ATLAS system automatically appoints a defacto leader from those ranks, basing the decision on the selected person's experience, abilities, age and temperament. This person is thawed out and briefed by ATLAS on the situation. He is then given the opportunity to review the crew manifest and permitted to select a group of personnel who will form the core of the colony's police force and emergency government. ATLAS will then be in a better position to wake up the rest of the crew now that it has human assets "on-the-ground" so to speak.

Right away...this scenario sets up the potential for a colony of "haves" and "have-nots." Old Families and the dirt-eating masses, to coin a Caprica phrase.

And better yet, no Earth authority to watch over you, so why would you want to go about killing everything? It's a new life.
    Human nature. Also, not everyone on that ship might be happy with the idea that they will never get to see their homes again. I wouldn't be too thrilled if tomorrow I get arrested for being say a political dissident, drugged, crammed onto a huge sea freighter which then permanently beaches itself on some deserted island. After I'm woken up, I'm told that I have to eek out an existence with a bunch of other outcasts, murders and god only knows what else. That would ruin my day.

My final point, and probably the most important, is a story where all the Terran colonists get along and work together from the get-go would be rather dull. If you add some tension, some intrigue and a little violence...maybe even a failed coup, now the story has some bite to it.
    Last edited by //MavericK\\; 06-29-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Good points good points, I wish you luck with your story then. You're right, a story where everyone is friends would be dull.

Lol, stopped reading the winning entry after a few paragraphs.

Jesus christ, video game 'literature' sucks. If you want to be a writer, think of something interesting to write about, rather than leeching off an existing body of work. Fuck faux-creativity.

I do enjoy the background information though, and I love the universe-building, but then only very few universes are thought through very well, like the Warhammer and LotR verses. Can't beat LotR of course. Still, LotR is great because it reads like a classical epic. If it were set in the real world, it would still be great. That's where most video game fiction fail utterly.

Of course, good luck to all the contestants!
    Last edited by Sietsh-Tenk; 06-30-2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: MOAR FRIENDLY

Jesus christ, video game 'literature' sucks. If you want to be a writer, think of something interesting to write about, rather than leeching off an existing body of work. Fuck faux-creativity.
    Why? You can be creative with already existing works.
    There's nothing wrong with writing stories about video games or movies. I used to read a bunch of fanfics on fanfiction.net all the time and they were great.

You try coming up with something completely original without "leeching off an existing body of work" and see how far you get.