Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Blizzard ToU is changing today (06/15/10)

Exclamation The Blizzard ToU is changing today (06/15/10)

I'm not sure what has changed, but I have a feeling it has to do with the Facebook integration, as the date during which it is changing coincides with the "tomorrow" mentioned in a certain facebook message.

Thoughts?

P.S. To see the new ToU, simply log in to your battle.net account.

EDIT: I think this is the new thing:
    16. DISCLOSURES; THIRD PARTY FEATURES.
    B. Facebook.
    If you have a registered "Facebook Account" you may opt-in to the "Facebook Friends" feature which will allow you to see which of your Facebook friends are registered on the Service. The "Facebook Account" is subject to separate terms and conditions provided by Facebook Inc. Note that if you have a Facebook account, your Facebook friends will be able to associate your screen name with your real name on the Service when they use the Facebook Friends feature. Facebook disclaims all liability it may otherwise incur as a result of this Agreement and/or your use of the Service.
    So I guess it begins today. Seems like you opt in to it rather than have it by default.
    Last edited by n00bonicPlague; 06-15-2010 at 03:01 AM. Reason: ADDITIONAL PYLONS

Default Re: The Blizzard ToU is changing today (06/15/10)

They aren't changing the ToU just for some sort of facebook promotion.

Sorry to burst your bubble n00b but this is the exact same ToU regarding Facebook that was already there(check out http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4717) and you will see that it is word for word the same as it was on May 31st. Including "the opt-in" part of it. Chances are "opt-in" does not mean you can choose to have the feature on the game but, just as it always has been, you can click the button and use it if you want to thereby "opting-in". Maul is right, they constantly change the ToU but in this particular case it has nothing to do with Facebook. If no one knows what(if anything)they did change in the ToU, or if anyone cares we can discuss it, if not we can close this thread.
    Last edited by silencbank; 06-15-2010 at 02:33 AM.
    I realize that I change my signature often. All I can say to that is: SO??? HAI FIVE!! (*・∀・)/♡\(・∀・*)

If you like anyone's post, be sure to give them additional rep.

Quote Originally Posted by silencbank View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble n00b but this is the exact same ToU regarding Facebook that was already there(check out http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4717) and you will see that it is word for word the same as it was on May 31st. Including "the opt-in" part of it. Chances are "opt-in" does not mean you can choose to have the feature on the game but, just as it always has been, you can click the button and use it if you want to thereby "opting-in". Maul is right, they constantly change the ToU but in this particular case it has nothing to do with Facebook. If no one knows what(if anything)they did change in the ToU, or if anyone cares we can discuss it, if not we can close this thread.
    Isn't the link from that thread actually referring to the version of the ToU that is valid from today on?

Because they've been noticing on your b.net profile site for quite some time, that it would change today, and you've been able to read it ever since.

And I don't think they "change" the ToU that often, they just incorporate patches in the previous ToU, which makes you agree it once more.
    Otherwise I can't see why Blizz would put a monthlong notice about something they do regularly.
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -
    BusinessMonkey - SC:Legacy

I don't have a bubble to burst

Look, I know they change the ToU constantly. The reason it matches that thing from May 31st is because this new ToU was written May 19th, which is probably when they added the Facebook part. But, this new ToU didn't come into effect (affect?) then — it does today. With all that's been going on (Bnet2 concerns, facebook integration, etc.) and all that is about to happen (phase 2 of beta, release of SC2, etc.) this little slice of business caught my interest just enough for me to post it here.

Idk, perhaps it isn't important enough to take notice of. I'll admit that it was a pretty close call for me. Lock/delete it if you want. Sorry for being an ass, if I was one. I'm tired and have a 2nd degree sunburn all over my back. I just don't feel good

EDIT: lol this is what happens when you get distracted while writing a response. Basically, what BM said
    Last edited by n00bonicPlague; 06-15-2010 at 03:03 AM. Reason: ORANGE JEWS

Well shit, talking about me fucking up big time (it happens more than I like to admit). So yea n00b is right in that it changed to add the Facebook thing. However, the previous BNET ToU was made before the Facebook integration was there. So saying that it is only now opt-in is a misnomer, since they did not have any literature on the subject. But, I still think the opt-in just means you can choose to use it and not that the game will or will not have it depending on your choice. The game will have it, you can click it to use it. So congrats to n00b for putting up and point and BMonkey for making me look like an ass *sigh*.

Also new in the new ToU is this:
    Hidden Content:
    Use of the Service by Minors.
    Subject to the laws of your country of residence, minor children may utilize an Account established by their parent or legal guardian with the approval of their parent or legal guardian. In the event that you permit your minor child or legal ward (collectively, your "child") to use an Account on the Service, you hereby agree to this Terms of Use Agreement on behalf of yourself and your child, and you understand and agree that you will be responsible for all uses of the Account by your child whether or not such uses were authorized by you, including, but not limited to, your minor child's acceptance of the EULA Games that are playable on the Service, or any Game-Specific Terms of Use
    Not a big deal, but it does let the parents know "You said its OK for your kids to play it and all that could happen. It is your fault not ours". Major kudos to Blizzard for putting the blame on parents to actually have responsibility for their kids.

And no n00b I am the one sorry, I did not know about the ToU being "new" since May 19th cuz I rarely poke into it. So again kudos to you for poking into it when others did not, not sure if many people find it interesting of a note, but still kudos anyway.
    Last edited by silencbank; 06-15-2010 at 03:06 AM. Reason: im an artard
    I realize that I change my signature often. All I can say to that is: SO??? HAI FIVE!! (*・∀・)/♡\(・∀・*)

Look it's cool, y'all. It's all good

Also, woah — that whole minors thing wasn't already in there?

Wow, umm . . . I'm glad Blizzard finally decided to cover that part of their ass, lol.

See? Be proud of your poking in the Facebook thing or else I would not have seen the minor's thing. And yeah I just checked them both again and there is nothing else hugely different so it should be final.

So congrats to n00b for putting up and point and BMonkey for making me look like an ass *sigh*.
    I'm usually the one looking like an ass. I was just happy I could write something more or less simple and easy to understand.

But since this thread started out so hurt, let me join the ones to support it and say we found out some - if not important - then interesting stuff.

Like why Blizz' been acting crazy on their FB and Twitter sites (still doesn't explain the outdated screenshots though, more or less settling on the whole "FB controversy", and finally seeing it only took 5 years of online gaming before Blizz realized they have to make the parents responsible!

Let's all pat each other's nerdy shoulders!
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -
    BusinessMonkey - SC:Legacy

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Maybe I suck at legal terms, but what in this "new" ToU is worrysome?